Sparking below breaker panel...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

aztecaa

So I heard a noise one day and got up to inspect. Couldn't find it since it stopped. So I'm watching TV one night and heard the noise again. I look towards the fuse panel and seen a spark. The water from the refrigerator dripped down since the tube for water drip was plugged up.
So I immediately cleaned and dried the water from area. Put towel to stop water drip since late night.
No issues for month or so and heard the noise of the spark again, no water dripping but it sparked enough to trip the breaker this time.
I unplugged the black and white wires. I flipped the breaker back on so i have the 110 outlets working.
There are NO 12 volt lights nor does the refrigerator work. So I plugged the refrigerator in separately from outside, it still does not turn on.
1.) How can I turn the refrigerator on until I get this repaired.
2.) Do I have to replace this whole board or can it be repaired. What exactly is it, I read converter on sticker.
3.) Any suggestions.

Model: 2005 Fourwinds Express Lite

Attachments

• TT Short Sparking1 (Small).jpg
    TT Short Sparking1 (Small).jpg
    122.8 KB · Views: 53
  • TT Short Sparking 2 (Small).jpg
    TT Short Sparking 2 (Small).jpg
    77.3 KB · Views: 47
  • TT Short Sparking3 (Small).jpg
    TT Short Sparking3 (Small).jpg
    56 KB · Views: 48
That is your 110V to 12V converter.  Looks like you may have to replace it.  Best Converter is a good source for replacements and information.

The reason you don't have lights and fridge is that they need 12 volts to operate. If nothing 12 volts works, it's a good bet that your converter that has been to be determined to be bad, has not been charging your battery(s). To temporarily get 12 volts back in your coach until you replace the converter, unhook the converter, both 120 volt side and 12 volt side, and use an automotive battery charger to get your batteries charged back up. Unfortunately, completely discharging your batteries may have hurt them too.

I hope you wrapped some electrical tape around the end of that black wire you removed ... with the breaker on it is electrically live with 120 volts on the exposed end!

Unplug the RV from electricity and try using a rag or an old toothbrush to clean the dirt from the area around those terminals.  Chances are the dirt became electrically conductive and caused the sparks when it became wet from the the refrigerator leak.  You can use an ammonia based window cleaner as long as you let it dry thoroughly.

Once everything's good and dry, reconnect the black and white wires, plug in to electricity and see if your 12 volt lights resume working.  If so, great!

The worst thing that will happen is the breaker will blow again, in that case you either need a new converter or maybe a professional can further clean or repair your existing one.

Thanks all, for the quick help. After putting on my glasses. I guess the cardboard piece separating the board was wet and allowed touching to metal from other side. So I cleaned, cut some of the cardboard and put hot glue there as barrier. All good for now but I think I'll go ahead and replace it. Not sure  how to find exact model yet.

Usually the model number of the panel is on the cover. I assume by all good now means it's charging the batteries?

Arch Hoagland said:
You get the award for presenting the best information about your problem, including pictures.  Wish everybody did what you did.

And for getting back to us. I wish every member would post their results. Good or bad.

Back
Top Bottom