Set up more or less permanent

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

steve407

We have always used our RV in the normal "go camping on the weekend or for a few days" mode and then put it back in storage. We have now leased a lot at an RV resort to park it for a year. My question is about the black and grey water -- Do I just leave the valves in the open position or should they be closed and tanks emptied as needed?  I'm worried if I just leave the valves open, sewer smell will come in and that the tanks will begin to "crud" up from not being flushed out like I do in normal tear down. What are the issues with all this?

Thanks in advance

Steve

When parked long term, I ensure I have a trap formed in my sewer hose, and leave the gray tank open. I leave the black tank closed until I'm ready to dump it. DW and I go a week with no problem on the black. A day or so before I dump the black tank, I will close off the gray and use the gray water to flush out the sewer hose after dumping the black. There are some that will also keep their gray closed until they need to dump it, and there's nothing wrong with that either. Whichever works best for you. Never leave the black open. All the liquids will run right out, and the solids will stay in the tank, eventually causing what is know as a poop pyramid.

Agree. The only think I would add is that you shouldn't get any gray tank smell because you have traps in the sinks and shower/tub.

Thanks.  It is what I had assumed would be the answer but wanted some other opinions. We'll go with closed and dump as needed!

You're welcome. Enjoy the extra time you get to spend rv'ing!

After you dump the black tank and close the dump valve, add some water through the toilet so the dump valve stays wet.  Or add some RV antifreeze if you're leaving the rig in freezing weather.

As long as the dump valve remains wet, any crud on it will remain soft and pliable and the valve will work as it should.  Most dump valve problems happen when the normal crud buildup dries up and hardens, causing the valve to jam and tear up the seals when you operate it.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
skibumbob
Back
Top Bottom