Buyer's remorse

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RedT

After 17 years, 2 motorhomes, and 164,595 miles, we figured it was time to hang up the keys. In March 2015 we sold the Meridian motorhome with 103,412 miles on the odometer. At age 80, I felt my RVing days were over, however after 18 months, we both decided to continue, and inquired if the "new" owner was planning to upgrade. Long story, but we repurchased the same coach on September 5, with 112,914 miles on the clock. The 'interim' owner had put 9,502 miles on "our" motorhome.

Have always been meticulous about upkeep and preventive maintenance, and since the previous owner had not kept maintenance records, I set about performing the required scheduled maintenance based on my last actions, spending $950 on parts and fluids.

Not finished yet, the motorhome is now sitting in the shop awaiting a rebuild of the Allison 3000 transmission. The estimate for the work was quoted to be between $4200 and $4500. Yes, I know it's a machine, and machines sometimes break - even with the best of care. I guess that's just part of the RV lifestyle!

Well I know how you feel somewhat.

The PO of the coach I bought said he was picky about maintenance on the coach but for some reason
or another he couldn't give me any records of service he did or had done.  So I felt I had to change the fluids and
filters to be safe.  I have changed the water pump and recently also changed out the Hydraulic Fan motor. 
Any my coach had less then half the miles of yours.

So do you think the past owner did (or didn't) do something to damage the Transmission?
What is wrong with it - that it has to be rebuilt?  I would think if the fluid level was kept up that the
transmission should last a long long time without needing to be rebuilt.

Well if your happy with getting the coach back and they didn't beat up the inside - well that's got to be worth something.  :)

What is wrong with it - that it has to be rebuilt?  I would think if the fluid level was kept up that the
transmission should last a long long time without needing to be rebuilt.

The fluid was changed every 2 years, the filters changed every year. Always monitored temperature with VMSpc - at no time did it ever run hot.
Don't know what's wrong with it, but bulletproof it AIN'T. Transmission shop will call me when they get it out and torn down.

RedT said:
At age 80, I felt my RVing days were over, however after 18 months, we both decided to continue

I admire your spirit young man!

You 81 year old guys are the ones keeping me going at 72. I figure...Hey if that 80 something guy can do it, so can I. So thanks for setting an example.

I raced sports cars until age 66, was diagnosed with Graves and had to call it quits.  Raymonda made a sign to hang in the shop that read: IF YOU DID NOT KNOW WHEN YOU WERE BORN, HOW OLD DO YOU THINK YOU ARE.    Kept me going.

Bill Dane
99 Country Coach

I admire your reentry into the RV field too.  At 78 and with COPD and bad arthritis I feel that it may be time for me to hang up the keys but the wife likes to get a week or two off every so often so most of our trips are to semi-local campgrounds that have the amenities I like (baseball nut so TV is mandatory and wireless is nice).  Keep on keeping on and I hope I can get reinvigorated like you.

Bill

Back
Top Bottom