4Wheel Camper soft side TC pop ups

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

maddog348

HI !! Any 4Wheel Camper users out there?? Thinking of getting Hawk SHELL to go on my 2006 Tundra V8 6.5' long bed.  Have a perfectly good 2007 27' Itasca ClassA But am getting tired of RV'ing. Just not the same as Campin'.  Sorta goin' back to basics. Only Furnace & battery packs.  No plumbing - water;sink;pump;piping or potty. Just nekkid. Looked at others and there was just TOO much stuff.  Have all the 'camp' stoves;coolers;etc etc from a now defunct X.Small (Neon) tent trailer. Even have an old 50W carry around SolarPanel. 

Want to be able to take 'spur of the moment' 2-3 day trips. Any where I want to.  Think it is doable?? OK don't want anyone tryin' to sell me on something else. Need Information on how this critter does.

Thanks for taking the time to read & reply.

StaySafe  -  HaveFun  -  Kate

I had a 2015 Hawk model..
Very well built units. Lightweight and full aluminum framing.
The vinyl popup part has ZERO insulating capabilities.
The foam mattress was hard but I understand this has been remedied.

I would highly recommend the solar panel roof option and the Fantastic fan option.

4 Wheel factory is ultra firm on the sales price.....no movement there at all.

Build time is 6 to 8 weeks....now is a good time to order as the season for many is winding down.

marcortez ~

Thanks  That is just the kind of informaton I was looking for.  RE: Thermal Pack.   We are long time users of Reflectix (?).  Have used it under the mattress on all 'camper' beds. (doesn't help with cushioning but keeps your bottom side warmer.) Also cut & fit sidewalls ex. cold or heat.  Got lots.    RE: FantasticFan  we have been kicking that around. Did not have one in the 'Neon'pop-up  -- Did not need one. Still thinking.  ( Would NOT be without one in the MotorHome !! )  RE: Solar Have an older carryaround - used that to help keep Old Catalina C class batt up. Still thinking  - Have had too much Tree stuff fall on us to feel real sure having one attached to the roof.  Options: under consideration 2nd Battery  &  Aluminum roof rack.

Wondering why "..... I had a 2015 Hawk model....".  Something we need to consider???  It is really hard to think backward after years of outfitting a Motorhome ~ whole lot of mind bending Do We? Don't We? DidWe?  WillWe?.  Use it /Need it in the TC.  Using old tent camping / 'Neon' packing/loading lists.  Thanks for taking the time to answer. Really appreciate it.

StayWell  ~  TravelSafe ~ HaveFun  ~~  Kate

maddog348 said:
marcortez ~

Wondering why "..... I had a 2015 Hawk model....".  Something we need to consider??? 

Yes there is, but it may not be applicable to all campers.

The "space".....six and a half feet of linear floor space shrinks drastically after about an hour.
The cold.........25 degrees INSIDE the camper one morning in the Sierra Nevada mountains in May.
The seating.....I grew weary of the ONLY seating was at the small dinette table.
The bed.....weary of climbing up into the bed at the correct angle to avoid the head meets ceiling scenario, unable to sit up and ultra weary of climbing down when half groggy....hoping my foot would land on the cabinetry below.
Waking up at 2am......bladder about to burst, cold as hell, find the coffee can, find my apparatus, balance with one hand on the dining table.....holding the can with the other.......dribble and drip, make sure the lid is tight on the can, climb back up into a now frigid bed and repeating the angle routine.

Hot tip......use a king sized sleeping bag instead of sheets and a blanket.
Once you struggle with trying to tuck in sheets on the back corners of the foam mattress, you will be thanking me profusely.

But they are built well!!

LOL  ;D ;D ;D  & Amen. Thank You for your honesty.  Have been thru most all of that.  Why got thru it again??? Had FUN. More good memories than most ALL of RV Parks.

The 'Neon' was 8' long closed  6'10" inside ~~ Open 14'8"long  x 6'7' wide. 1 Bed ~ deployed from rear of box Not much room for sitting. 30" sofa along left edge. Spent most time outside under trees.  Yosemite ~~ Sequoia/KingsCyn.  Have used 3# coffee cans for years. *(story) ~ Finally graduated up to 2gal Well sealed; Well marked water 'jug' for tent camping. Have been in snow but don't think it was that cold. Yes BIG sleeping bag is a must.  I was never relegated to upper bed in class C ~~I was  Too short ~~  Too Wide  ~~ too Old  ~~  peed too often.  Partner and dogs got that honor. Always worried one of the dogs would 'pounce' down on me middle of the night ::) ::) Class C did have bathroom.

Will probably have to Invent seating ~ not opting for dinette or couch but looking forward to it. Finding 'nest' space may be even more challenging. ;D
TakeCare ~ TravelSafe ~ HaveFun  ~~  Kate

story
*Mid 1980's. Let Pam's Mom & Aunt use the old 1/2 cab over camper on the F150 (no bathroom) For a week end at the COAST.  Mom had to 'go' mid of nite grabbed to coffee can completed business and went back to bed.  Next morning Aunt making breakfast was looking for the coffee ..... YUP...!  Brand new just opened 3#'s of Folgers wet & wasted. Oh Well. we all make mistakes. I don't drink coffee at her house any more.

OK ~ The Beastie is on order.  Furnace; 2 10# propane tanks; Fantastic Fan; 2 Batteries; Aluminum RoofRack.  Already have 50w solar carry around..  Went to 4Wheel earlier this week for a look see.  Looked at a number of units.  Nice folks. Took a few pictures ~ Took a few measurements. 

More later..  K

Back
Top Bottom