RV Stereo Issue

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pitman9

We have a 2006 Outback 5th wheel and are attempting to replace the old stereo in it.  The existing stereo is an odd size, but a 2 DIN 12v stereo will fit with a little modification to the RV.  The problem I'm having is Keystone only ran a single pair of wires to the speakers.  With the existing connection L+ and R+ from the stereo are connected to one of the pair of wires going to the speakers.  The existing stereo has only one wire labeled L-/R- and that is connected to the other wire of that pair going to the speakers.  The speakers are wired in parallel.

The new stereo, and pretty much anything I've found so far, has L+ and R+ as well as L- and R-.  It doesn't like it if you connect it in the same fashion as the old stereo was, ie connecting L+ and R+ to one wire and L- and R- to the other.  No sound.  Connect just L+ (or R+) to one of the pair and the corresponding - to the other of the pair and you get sound.  Only problem with that is you don't get all the sound information.  Just the left or right side.

We've always really enjoyed the Outback and felt it was a well made RV.  Now I'm feeling like if they were so cheap as to skimp on 20' of speaker wire, what else did they do?

In any case I would like to replace the stereo, preferably with something that has BT and USB capability.  I don't mind getting mono sound so much, but I would like to get all the sound.  Are there any options out there for us?  Thanks.

Crutchfield is a good place to start.

https://www.crutchfield.com/S-NmYqiNtjO4E/

Ok you have two speakers.. Even if you have 4, 6 or 8 you have two  Left and Right.

Try this.. Connect one pair to LEFT Plus and Minus.. TO test the wires to make sure you have a speaker pair use an ohmmeter and a clip type test lead.. CLIP one meter lead to one wire, Lowest resistance range.. Rub the other wire against the other pin, you should HEAR it. if not.. Well you can try a 1.5 volt Dry cell

Once you identify one (Right or left) pair connect that pair only

Then identify and connect one of the other (Left or right) and connect that pair

Then test.

Now identify the next speaer set and re-test

IF you only have 4 speakers and wiring them in parallel does NOT work try puttin them in series.

SOME radios do not like low resistance but will work fine with 16 ohms

Assumptions for this post.. Speakers are 8 ohms impedance (Might be 4 or 16)

If they are 4. the radio might object to parallel but will love series

If they are 16 the radio might object to series but will love parallel.

If they are 8 should work either way but it LOVES 8 best.

(4 ohm speakers in parallel = 2 ohms  In series 8, which the radio loves
16's in parallel is 8 which the radio loves but in series are 32. not so nice.

8 ohm in parallel is 4  Radio ikely ok and in sereies 16  also likely ok.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
freetoroam
Back
Top Bottom