1999 Allegro Bus

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Super8mm

I am now looking at a 1999 (build date was in 1989) Tiffin Allegro Bus, 32 ft, Cumming 5.9 275hp and a Allison MD3060 transmission.

The GVWR is 24,850 and UVW 19,900.

Some questions

How reliable is the 5.9 275hp, this coach has 90,000 miles on it.

Would this be a 12 valve engine or a 24 valve?

What might the torque be on this engine and transmission setup?

Does the MD3060 have the 65mph governor on the output shaft?

Overall it is in good shape except for the coffee stains on the carpet ?LOL?

I am also considering pulling my 2011 GMC 2500HD behind it.

Your thoughts please.

Thanks

The 5.9 is an excellent engine and will be a 12 valve of this vintage,, the best part is not being electronic,, good mileage and reliable
The 3060 is also bullet proof and no governor.
The truck is a very heavy toad for towing.>>>Dan
( The engine is a Cummins,,designed by Clessie Cummins in 1919)
It will probably have an exhaust brake known as a Pac brake,, a great upgrade for this unit is the PRXB, a 60%improvement by PacBrake.

Super8mm said:
I am now looking at a 1999 (build date was in 1989) Tiffin Allegro Bus, 32 ft, Cumming 5.9 275hp and a Allison MD3060 transmission.

The GVWR is 24,850 and UVW 19,900.

Some questions

How reliable is the 5.9 275hp, this coach has 90,000 miles on it.

Would this be a 12 valve engine or a 24 valve?

What might the torque be on this engine and transmission setup?

Does the MD3060 have the 65mph governor on the output shaft?

Overall it is in good shape except for the coffee stains on the carpet ?LOL?

I am also considering pulling my 2011 GMC 2500HD behind it.

Your thoughts please.

Thanks

I sure hope that was a typo and it wasn't built 10 years before it was set free on the road  ;D

Since the coach doesn't weigh that much the engine should do OK.
Towing your truck - it will do it but don't expect to go up hills very fast.

Thanks Utahclaimjumper

my biggest concern was probable the 65mph governor, i normally tow my trailer at 62-65 I was not wild about that being the top end if needed.

I know the truck is on the heavy side but its paid for and yes it does have a exhaust brake.

I will have to chat with them about their listing not being correct though, it is listed as a 300hp and 33 feet long but the previous owner put it down as 270 hp and 32 feet.  I did call Tiffin and verified that the build sheet used a 275 hp engine and it is 32 feet.

Thanks RedandSilver it was a typo as I was in a hurry, had to go setup for  a Scottish Festival here in Kerrville Tx "LOL"

I dont mind going slow up hill because there would probably be a semi ahead of me.  I will have to figure out the shifter on it to see if I can down shift on the fly.

Attachments

• Shifter.jpg
    Shifter.jpg
    26.2 KB · Views: 9
Thanks RedandSilver, that makes it sort of like the shifter paddle on my GMC.

I did finally find the specs on the MD3060 transmission, 275 hp with 800 ft lbs of torque and if bumped up to 300 hp 905 ft lbs.  These numbers sound promising for a 275 hp motor.

Super88,, Most any diesel can be "turned up" to ungodly numbers,( ether mechanically or electronically) but the life expectancy goes in the toilet so its a balancing act between reliability, available power,(how much do you need?) fuel consumption and cost.>>>Dan

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
awiltzius
Back
Top Bottom