Winterizing Issue - Coachmen Freedom Express

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Reedzd

I am in the process of winterizing my 2016 Coachmen Freedom Express 276 RKDS MLE.

I have followed the online step-by-step in the manual for winterizing with rv antifreeze only. I have put 7 gallons of antifreeze in the tank, and am running my water pump, but am getting nothing but air coming out of all my faucets. I can smell antifreeze with the tap running, but am not getting anything coming out.

Is there possibly an issue with my water pump, or should I just put more antifreeze into my water tank?

The air is likely coming from the water heater as the tank fills up. If it's a 6-gallon water heater, there should still be enough anti-freeze left to fill the water lines after the heater fills.

Did you bypass the water heater? If you did not bypass, then you're filling the water heater with pink stuff. Which could be 6 or 10 gallons.

Also, do you have a valve which is used to fill the water tank when hooked up to city water? If you do, make sure that valve is shut.  If that valve is open, you'd be just cycling water right back the fresh water tank.

Are your low point drains shut?

I have the water heater bypassed.

There is no valve to fill the tank when hooked to city water, just the filler neck on the side of the trailer.

I haven't touched the low point drains since I de-winterized in the spring, but I'll have a look at them anyways just to make sure.

Reedzd said:
I have the water heater bypassed.

To make sure your valves are positioned correctly, open the drain for the water heater.  It should be dry.

How many valves do you have to position to bypass?  One, two or three.

I just did my Denali 5th wheel and it took 8 gallons to finally get water out of the sink faucet. There was a lot of air but finally got the pink stuff. Also do not forget to put some of the anti freeze in the drain traps, just dump a quart per drain and also do the toilet.

Thanks very much... I ended up dumping 10 gallons in, and finally got it to work. Just find it crazy that a 51 gal tank needed 10 gal just to move it through the pipes.

The suction line probably doesn't go all over the way to the bottom of the tank. It might be fun come springtime to flush that antifreeze out of there. Long term, you should investigate a winterizing kit that allows you to access the water pump directly without having to put antifreeze into the tank.

I only need 3 gallons to do my motorhome, then use a fourth to fill the drain traps.

The first time I winterized our very first 5th wheel it took me 12 gallons to get things going.  After that I cut into the pickup line from the fresh tank, installed a T and put a ball valve closing off the fresh tank then a ball valve going to a stubbed out piece of line that would go into the anti-freeze.

Under normal operation the ball valve to the fresh tank is open and the ball valve to the stub out is closed, just reverse the order for winterization.  I will say though that last year when I winterized I neglected to open the fresh tank ball valve when I was done and it froze.  I found this out when I de-winterized in St. George Utah and wound up with no water until I replaced my mistake.

Total cost for a DIY winterization kit is around $25

It is a lot easier to use a compressor and blow out all the water, and just use the RV antifreeze in the drains.  Another tip is to leave all of your taps open.

Ed

Reeddz, find your water pump.  Your water pump most likely has a short hose coming off of it, it is what you use to winterize.  You will go from 10 gallons down to about 1.5 - 2.  I have a Coachmen  but a different model so my pump may be in a different place than yours.  Mine is in the back left corner if you are looking forward.  You are also better off if you drain your hot water tank and turn the  by pass valves.  If you use your pump to winterize make sure you drain you fresh water tank.  There are low point drains underneath.  If you use the pump or air method it is easier and cheaper and you may choose to use your trailer in the colder months.  Search this forum for winterizing, there excellent discussions for reference.

Since we're on the subject of winterizing, what's the best way to winterize a clothes washer? 

Wi1dBi11

Wi1dBill said:
Since we're on the subject of winterizing, what's the best way to winterize a clothes washer? 

Wi1dBi11
Just hang a snowblower on the front of your RV, drive south till someone says, " What the heck is that", then your safe.

Back
Top Bottom