Sold my boat time for RV please help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mcangelo4

Sold my 36 ft twin diesel sporty and think its time to hir the road. I am new to rving. I rented a new 31 jayco redhawk and loved it but you can tell its cheaper production.

Just like when you start out in boating you buy a production brand. Is it similiar in rv where you eventually leqrn to appreciate other brands overtime?

The reason i ask....should I be looking at used better quality for $61k budget or go with a newer redhawk.

Also everyone says they depreciate alot day 1 but in my local area all the 3 year old ones people want what I can get them new for.....

I am also opened to class A. Thanks for any input. We will not be fulltime but will spen 100 days plus im next 12 months runnong around usa. I am a snow bird so can buy in northeast before winter or do i buy in fl?(nervous about hurricane flooded ones now)

I too am in the market for another motor home to replace the one  I am in now. The first thing I look for is the floor plan, and  then I spend a lot of time "living" throughout the space. What are must haves in a coach is very important. Do you want a washer/dryer in the coach. Diesel or gas? Class A or C? I prefer the Class C. Spending a lot of time looking for what you want on the interweb is time well spent.

mcangelo4 said:
I am a snow bird so can buy in northeast before winter or do i buy in fl?(nervous about hurricane flooded ones now)
There was very little flooding in most of Florida. I did not hear of one RV being flooded. I would buy in Florida since the ones in the NE will have salt damage on the aluminum radiator.

Dont rvs and autos that live blobks from ocean also have salt? I think next step is for us to rent a class A but really the intent here is to understand ehat are the brand's to look at used for under 75k and retain their value and easy to sell if we want out. 30-34 imo would work for us...

mcangelo4 said:
Dont rvs and autos that live blobks from ocean also have salt? I think next step is for us to rent a class A but really the intent here is to understand ehat are the brand's to look at used for under 75k and retain their value and easy to sell if we want out. 30-34 imo would work for us...
Yep salt is an issue if you are within a few miles of the ocean, especially the Atlantic, which is saltier than the Pacific. When buying used the brand is of no importance. What is important is how well it was maintained. You are looking for floor plan, condition and price. No RV retains their value. They depreciate like a rock. RVs are not an investment. It will cost you a lot of money no matter how you play the game.

As to purchasing in the Northeast during the winter months, it happens all the time. We purchased our motorhome at the Hartford show in January, but didn't take delivery until the end of March.

As to the salt, a quick look at a map will show that the vast majority of the Northeast is nowhere the ocean. Florida on the other hand...

HappyWanderer said:
As to purchasing in the Northeast during the winter months, it happens all the time. We purchased our motorhome at the Hartford show in January, but didn't take delivery until the end of March.

As to the salt, a quick look at a map will show that the vast majority of the Northeast is nowhere the ocean. Florida on the other hand...
They do use salt on the roadways to melt the ice in the NE.

Of course they do. You don't see RVs on the road here in the winter either.

I actually live in the Northeast, so I notice this stuff.

So brands dont matter? What is the step above jayco for class C? Also what class As if i like the 31 redhawk setup shoulf i focus on used 60k

From boating I like diesel better due to its safety appeal...but for RV open to both...

What rv can i buy and sell for similiar values quiclly in this range if I dont like and want to sell in a year?

Example I like this one better then a jayco redhawk seems more legit but i also assume harder to sell.... How do i know fair market value pricing other then going on ebay and see what some units sold for.... I want to buy at fair market...how can i assess?

https://newjersey.craigslist.org/rvs/d/2008-jayco-seneca-35gs-diesel/6305495065.html

My choice would be an older example of one of the better built brands. Mid and upper price tier RVs are in fact built with at least some better components, e.g. a better grade of cabinetry, flooring, upholstery, etc. And usually a much more capable chassis underneath.

When looking at used rigs, though, condition is far more important than brand name. A high end rig that has been neglected or abused is probably no better than a cheaper model.

There are two reasons to choose used vs new:
1.Price - depreciation is huge so even a few years old saves a bundle
2. Inconsistent quality on new ones.  The chances of getting a lemon are alarmingly high and repair times are lengthy even though the warranty covers the cost.

However, the problem for a newbie buying used is that they don't have the experience to judge condition and quality very well.

mcangelo4 said:
Example I like this one better then a jayco redhawk seems more legit but i also assume harder to sell.... How do i know fair market value pricing other then going on ebay and see what some units sold for.... I want to buy at fair market...how can i assess?

https://newjersey.craigslist.org/rvs/d/2008-jayco-seneca-35gs-diesel/6305495065.html
That is a nice looking rig. There really is no such thing as 'fair market value'. The value of any RV is dependent upon the buyer and seller agreeing on a price. I use NADA as a start. It has an average retail value of $74,550 which is $5000 less than his asking price. If I decided that was the RV I wanted to buy I would show him the listing on NADA and then give him your best offer. If the seller is upside down you might not be able to negotiate. Personally I wouldn't touch that RV with a ten foot pole. The trailer it is hauling undoubtedly puts the whole thing way over weight wise especially after adding a few people and your stuff. If he has been dragging around a trailer like that you can be sure it was really well loaded.

As Seilerbird says, the used RV market is not as well structured as car market and the "fair market value" varies widely with condition, location, season and the seller. There is no national system of wholesale auctions to stabilize wholesale prices, nor are there hundreds of a given model available at any given time.  The NADA RV Guide basically gives estimated depreciation but individual units can and will vary widely.  Paying 10%-15% above NADA Average is not at all out of the question for a fine example, especially if it's the exact "right one for you". On the other hand, making a lower offer is a routine negotiation method. Don't be afraid to bargain like a rug merchant in a bazaar. The the seller says no, you can always raise your offer.

I found ours on a website that sells all kinds of vehicles.  It has TRADER in the name.  We found our RV, asked the seller if they were firm on the price if we paid cash. The seller reduced the price and during inspection I found damage to the rear bumper and they reduced another $1K without me asking. 

The website lets you compare various models and I built a spreadsheet with my important items.  I also listed distance we had to drive to pick it up.  I found almost the same RV in Arizona, cheaper (higher mileage) but a closer one in Florida with lower mileage and slightly higher.  The deal I made with the seller made up our mind.

Of course your results may be different. 
"CX"

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
traxster
Back
Top Bottom