winnebago view problems swirl actuator

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cindyisretiring

We have a 2008 View. We love it but it is costing us a fortune! Had to replace glow plugs, alternator,1500 to fix self leveling jacks and more. NOW, we had the check engine light come on and have been told it is the swirl actuator.... anywhere from 2k to 8k once they get into it. This is crazy. Does anyone have experience with this? Thoughts? Ideas? We are even having trouble in Jacksonville Florida finding anyone who will work on the Mercedes/Sprinter. Is it time to get a different rv? Forget the diesel this time? Such difficult decisions :-(

I don't have first hand experience with your model of coach, but maybe RV dealers are taking advantage of your lack of knowledge and DIY skills. RV dealer shops charge extremely high labor rates (often around $125/hour), so any repair will be costly. They also tend to just replace things without much diagnosis.  About the only help for it is to get advice here before agreeing to any costly repairs and learn to do more yourself.

A "swirl activator" must be something unique to the small Mercedes diesel in your coach.  I learned a bit about it at this source:
https://sprinter-source.com/forum/showthread.php?t=22596
The part is expensive, and labor is going to add to that substantially.
https://www.amazon.com/2007-2009-FREIGHTLINER-SPRINTER-MANIFOLD-ACTUATOR/dp/B007JXMPI6

Welcome Cindy. Did you buy the View new? It might be a toss-up as to gas vs. small diesel maintenance expenses but once you move up to say a pusher diesel with air brakes, your cost of ownership goes way up. About three years ago we had to have the head pulled on our diesel pusher Horizon (with a large Cummins diesel) for a valve job and the final bill was in the $10k range  ::) .

If you bought the View used, my advice is to get those things repaired that need to be repaired and then consider selling. However once you get things squared away it might be trouble free for a long, long time.

Sell vs Keep is a tough call when the repairs get expensive. If the current one is the last, it's by far best to keep it, but if another is just around the corner, then... My own DP never had a real expensive problem (13 years) but it seemed like a $1000-$1300 repair came up every other year, plus several hundreds annually in routine care. And then tires... [sigh]

I have an OM642 in my GL350 so I'm very familiar with the problems around the swirl motor.  While that engine is basically the same as what they used in the Sprinter, there are a few differences, so I've got either really good news or fairly good news for you.

Basically, you've got these flaps that are inside the intake manifold which the computer will open and shut depending on RPMs and load on the engine.  The idea is to create a little more disturbance in the air to improve emissions, but there really isn't any difference in how the vehicle runs if those flaps aren't moving.  What will give you a problem, though, is if the computer puts you into limp mode.  On my GL, when the computer thinks that the motor isn't connected or working it throws the MIL and puts the vehicle into limp mode.  Super bad.  If, however, it thinks the motor is fine electrically but it doesn't see the flaps moving, it throws the MIL, but the vehicle runs just fine.  Slightly annoying, but not a big deal.

Replacing the swirl motor is a pain on my car because in order to move a wiring harness out of the way to get to the motor, you have to pull the turbo off.  I've heard that on the Sprinter, things can be pushed around a bit to get to the swirl motor without removing the turbo, but I've never worked under the hood of one.  If you can get to the motor, a replacement can be had for a bill-and-a-half, but there are a couple different versions out there, so be sure you get the right one.  It's also a good time to replace the fuel filter and air filters and check for leaks.  Plan to replace the orange seals on the turbo charge pipe and the PCV tube and look up the "elephant nose" mod and consider that.  You're looking at paying Mercedes somewhere around $1,300-$2,000 for that job (somebody's got to pay Hamilton's salary!), but if you're familiar with the basic operations of Legos, you can do it yourself for around $300.  Pro-tip:  Spend a little extra money and buy two or three pairs of the little plastic clips that connect the actuator motor to the flap linkages.  You'll also need a set of E-Torx bits which will set you back around $20 at your local hammer store.

What's that, you say?  Don't want to spend the time or money?  Well, then I've got a deal for you:  Do a little eBay searching and find someone willing to sell you a handful of 4.7K Ohm resistors.  Should be about $2, shipped.  While you're waiting, go get yourself some self-fusing silicon tape, or if you can't find that, a good (and by good, I mean 3M and pretty much only 3M) black electrical tape will suffice.  When those arrive, unplug the swirl motor from the wiring harness.  Giving it the finger is an optional step but can be quite cathartic.  Bend up the resistor so that you can plug it into the center two pins of the wiring harness connector.  Wrap it in tape so that it's completely secured and then tuck it away. 

At this point, one of two things will happen:  You'll either get the MIL lit but the RV will run fine (that's the fairly good news) or there will be no MIL on the gauges and the RV will run fine (which would be the really good news).

Alternately, you can turn it and your wallet over to the Mercedes mechanics.  Since they're going to "be in there anyway", you might have them replace the timing chain and tensioner before that starts clattering on you.  And you might check to see if you have any oil leaks since the oil cooler seals are notorious failure points that require some pretty serious surgery to get to.

Since it appears that the computer is sensing the reactance/current of the motor it might be reasonable to use a two kOhm resister(so resistance can't go to zero) in series with a 5kOhm potentiometer to accomplish this kluge. If you get the warning, adjust the pot to a different total resistance until you don't get it.

Ernie

Thanks all of you! We do budget 2-3K per year for upkeep but this issue is crazy. It is driving fine, no loss of power.
It is not our last rig, plan to spend much more rving time in the near future. Now, do we repair before we try to trade it in?
I think we are going to stay away from Mercedes Diesel because it is so hard to get someone to work on the engine.

By the way, I have no idea of your location but Winnebago factory service in Forest City can service the Mercedes diesel - this is a relatively recent change. They would not be able to tear an engine down (like a top or bottom end overhaul) but they would most certainly be able to work on your particular issue.

I don't know what your RV experience is or how many rigs you have owned in the past but finding a shop (and a good shop) to work on the house or chassis part of a motorhome is going to be an issue with any motorized RV you buy. We arrange to be in Arizona (from central Texas) when it's time for chassis or engine service for our Freightliner chassis. Or if we are east, we go to Freightliner factory service in Gaffney, SC.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nativoacai
Back
Top Bottom