Washing the TT

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Peggyy

We scrubbed the black streaks.we washed the roof.  We washed the trailer.  We are both tuckered out.  We didnt have the energy to wax it.  Too much at one time.  There has to be an easier way to keep it clean.  And now the hurricane is coming tomorrow so we will have hard rain they are predicting.  Thanks for letting this old woman vent.

I use this polish from Starbrite. They are huge in the marine/boat world and it is amazing stuff. Bugs and tree sap just rinse off.  Some light scrubbing with a brush gets the last layer of road film but it is just a light brushing. It has tons of UV protectant and is super easy to apply since it is liquid. Good for all exterior fibreglass, Filon, paint and plastic. Still beads water after a year. https://www.amazon.com/Star-brite-Premium-Marine-Polish/dp/B0000AYB18/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1507474710&sr=8-1&keywords=starbrite+marine+polish+with+ptef

You are correct, One way or the other it's a lot of work if you want it to look nice. It's one thing to just wash it and another thing to also keep all the caulk and plastic trim clean such as what is used around the compartments and panel transition points. I use awesome from the dollar store.

Yeah, it's work! I found i spent a couple days per year on our 40 footer, but it had a fiberglass roof and a high gloss paint job.

Once you get it clean, apply a coat of vehicle "wax" (modern ones actually have no little or wax, but the name remains), then wash occasionally to keep dirt from building up. A easy wipe-on product such as ProtectAll or Turtlewax Ice is as good as any other.

Black streaks are dirty water running off the roof, so washing the roof occasionally helps reduce those. Better to avoid than to scrub the stains after!  Black streaks are mostly a rubber roof problem, where the roof membrane coloring agent chalks (oxidizes) and combines with dirt and then runs off in even a heavy dew.  A coat of liquid floor wax on the rubber roof helps reduce the chalking and make future cleaning a but easier, but washing a few times per season is still needed. Something like Mop & Glow is adequate - the special "rubber roof treatment" products aren't notably better.

Back
Top Bottom