Please help!!...Faulty landing gear?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Curt

Newbie here...my fiver was hauled to my house before I purchased a truck...when I went to hitch up for  the maiden voyage the landing Jacks would not raise  the rig high enough for me to hitch up....way low by approximately a foot....the  landing gear seems to be maxed out?
Apparently I now  have to jack up the front of the rig to  be able to hitch up....please...any advice on how to go about doing this?
Would I somehow jack it up on the kingpin then lower the landing pads?
I am totally lost...

Get some blocking and place them under the frame right behind the legs. Then lower the front onto the blocking. Then retract the legs all the way. Then extend the adjustable part of the leg so that it is extended and touches the ground. Then using the legs, raise the rig to remove the blocking then raise it high enough to hitch it up to the truck.
Note: If you use concrete blocks, put a 2" X 10" board under the first block and also on top of the last block. Also, position the blocks so that the holes are running up and down. Just like they are on a house foundation. The blocks are at it's strongest position that way. NOT sideways.

Thank you Rene...at one point I had the kingpin resting on plywood in the bed of my truck....then used a bottle jack under the receiver hitch on the truck to raise the rig about 3 holes on the landing gear....however the electric Jacks would not raise it up any higher....,the motor makes a racket when I hit the switch....I'm guessing it's maxed out?

Does this  mean the landing gear is not or does not fully retract which would not allow me to drop the pads any further?

Curt said:
Does this  mean the landing gear is not or does not fully retract which would not allow me to drop the pads any further?

It may have been that the person delivering the rig, didn't extend the jacks (pulling the pins) prior to lifting it off their truck. Also, their truck may be lower than yours.

When the landing gear on mine is fully retracted there is only about 6 inches showing. Fully extended using only the electric motor, I would say they are 18-24 inches (haven?t ever measured them). The inner part of the leg also slides up and down when you pull the pin on each leg of the landing gear and allows more extension when required. There is only so much travel available, so we always have blocks, we use 6x6 wood, to reduce the amount the landing gear has to extend. It?s common for landing gear to be powered with one motor with a connecting rod to the other set of landing gear. Inside the legs is a set of gears and a threaded rod that makes the jets go up and down. These are el cheap components and easily damaged if you overextend or retract the legs. Ask me how I know. Lol! Rene T?s post was the safest and sure fire way to resolve the problem, short of having whoever dropped it off come back and do it right. Reading your reply, it didnt sound like you tried retracting the legs.

Yes Rene I agree completely ....the hauler had an older f350 with a 7.3 l have  a 2015 f350 and even though I have 17 in wheels my truck sits higher...he did not fully retract before dropping  the legs.

Boonieman....thanks for your reply....I'm so disappointed...I wished I had paid more attention when I had the rig dropped off...thanks all for your replys....muchappreciated!

It's a good time right now to mark the leg to show where the fully extended spot would be. I also have a line showing where the legs will be when fully retracted. This is very helpful to know so you don't over extend or retract too far before you do some mechanical damage. You only have to do it on the leg in view when extending or retracting.

Another newbie question....if in fact it is a issue with the landing gear if I extend a 2x10 across the frame underneath the rig would I be able to raise the front approximately 10-12 inches if I use a 12 ton bottle jack.
Should I even use the handcrank or will that damage the motor?

Curt said:
Another newbie question....if in fact it is a issue with the landing gear if I extend a 2x10 across the frame underneath the rig would I be able to raise the front approximately 10-12 inches if I use a 12 ton bottle jack.
Should I even use the handcrank or will that damage the motor?

One or two boards may break. Maybe 3 would work.
You may be able to jack it up one side at a time and pull the pin one hole at a time. I wouldn't go any higher than 1 hole then move over to the other side.

Back
Top Bottom