Duramax diesel whining at 1800 rpm

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Howard Kelly

Every once in a while my Chevy silverado duramax diesel  whines when accelerating past 1800 rpm.  no rhyme or reason to it may go a few days without the whine happening then it happens again.
Think it might be the turbo....  the garage I deal with could not find the cause even  though they had the truck for 3 days. Of course it did not happen very often when they had it in their shop. ???
Any idea what causes it.

Are we talking like a turbo whine? I experienced that when I changed out the stock air filter on a Cummins that I had to a high flow air filter.  It didn't last long, I went back to stock pretty quick. 

It may be the  viscous fluid fan clutch.

Their is a sensor that is on the top of the turbo,it rides on the shaft .Mine would make an intermitten noise /whine.

Keep track of the engine temperature when you hear the whine.  If it is always the same I would also suspect the viscous fluid fan clutch.

When the fan clutch is engaged, it is more of a roar, nothing at all like a whine. Nothing intermittent about it. Every cold start or hot run with a heavy load will engage it. I doubt the clutch is the issue here.

Thanks for all your ideas.
turns out it was the  power steering pump, had it replaced , glad the pump did not stop when I was pulling the rig.
Howard

Foxysdad said:
Thanks for all your ideas.
turns out it was the  power steering pump, had it replaced , glad the pump did not stop when I was pulling the rig.
Howard

Thank You for the update on how the problem was solved.

So often the problem is solved and the OP never posts how it was solved.

Back
Top Bottom