Fishing in Utah

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tom

Administrator
I broke ranks with the others at the mini rally in Torrey today and went in search of good fishing. I stopped at the ranger station in Loa (pronounced lo-ah) and proceeded up the Mytoge mountains. Reached Fish Lake High Top Plateau at 9036 feet before descending the "back route" to Loa. There's snow on them there hills.

Found the source of the Fremont River and circled several lakes, including Mill Meadow reservoir, Johnson Valley reservoir and Fish Lake.

Saw a number of parking areas on the way up the Mytoge mountain that are also designated camping areas, in addition to several NF and private campgrounds, although several (but not all) of the NF CGs were closed.

Found a small "Fly shop" on my way back through Loa.

Attachments

• FremontRiver4-2.jpg
    FremontRiver4-2.jpg
    61.7 KB · Views: 66
  • Fisherpeople.jpg
    Fisherpeople.jpg
    93.4 KB · Views: 59
  • FishLake12-2.jpg
    FishLake12-2.jpg
    92.3 KB · Views: 65
  • fly_shop.jpg
    fly_shop.jpg
    102.1 KB · Views: 69
Just looking today, not fishing Wendy. A few minutes ago I emailed the Fly Shop to see if I could rent the gear tomorrow - I left mine at home with the HughesNet modem  :-[

Another advantage of fulltiming, you never leave anything at home, you have everything at home :)

There's no way our "everything" would fit in any RV combination I've seen. We thoroughly enjoy our extended trips, whether by RV or by boat, but always enjoy going home to our other toys and activities in addition to being able to spend time with family. Doesn't mean there's anything "wrong" with fulltiming, it just isn't for us.

FWIW leaving the fishing tackle and accessories at home this time was a conscious decision rather than being forgotten. I looked at the stuff as I was loading the coach, but didn't think I'd have the opportunity to do any fishing this trip. That's one advantage of part timing - we don't need to lug all our stuff around with us. Saves fuel and gives us options on how to use the storage.

Tom,

OK next year we both bring gear.  I understand two hot spots in Utah are Strawberry Reservoir and Lake Panguitch.  Two years ago we had reservations for RV at Lake Panguitch for return trip from Moab but the RV Park was not yet open because of snow pack.  Suppose to be best time as start fo season and fish are in feeding frenzy.  Yep next year...tim

Agreed Tim. This morning I picked up a copy of 'Personalized fishing guide to Utah', so I'll be prepared next year in more ways than one.

BTW Strawberry Reservoir holds the state record for cutthroat trout, 26 lb 12 oz and the state record for catch & release rainbow, 27 in.

Tom said:
BTW Strawberry Reservoir holds the state record for cutthroat trout, 26 lb 12 oz and the state record for catch & release rainbow, 27 in.

I have fished on Strawberry Reservoir with my dad years ago.  Was one of his favorite spots.

Alright..I'll get my son working on tieing flies.  We'll probably get some Idasho/Montana fishing in this summer and the river in Kernville is looking pretty decent but they are stockers. 

Tim

Had a wonderful day fly fishing the Fremont and UM rivers in the Fish Lake National Forest north of LOA, UT. Caught four species of trout (brown, splake, cutthroat and tiger). These fish were in great condition and provided some good action on light tackle. As always, I practice catch-and-release and was fishing with barbless hooks to minimize damage to the fish.

This is the first time I've used the services of a local guide and it was well worth the relatively small cost; I would never have found some of the productive holes on my own and I would have been experimenting with flies for several hours. I also learned a few things that will come in handy later. (Who says you can't teach an old dog new tricks?)

Tim, let me know what patterns and sizes I'd need for the Kern River and I'll get tying when we arrive home. TIA.

Tom,

Guides are great.  Have a couple we use one in Lassen NP (Fall River) and one in Idaho/Montana anywhere around Island Park/Henry's lake/Madison/Snake River all fly fishing from wading to drift boats.  I really like the drift boats.  We also used guides in Bull Shoals, Ark where they make ranger boats and Lake of the Woods in Ontario.

I'll check for flies in Kern.  Getting warm here but probably still winter flies nymphs with drop beads.  Later summer parachuters adams and most common work pretty good. 

...tim

Thanks Tim. Today I became a believer in guides.

Tim,

We're planning to check out Lake Panguitch in the next couple of days. Looks like a limited choice of campgrounds. Which one(s) have you stayed at? Any recommendations/comments? We could always stay at Ruby's Inn and drive to the lake.

TIA.

When we were in that area last spring, we stayed at the Bryce Valley KOA, Cannonville, UT.  One of the nicer KOAs we've stayed at, with great views of the mountains.  I believe they have free WiFi internet access as well if you stay in the lower portion of the campground.  However, it's east of Bryce so may be a bit too far from Panguitch for you.

Thanks Ned. Ruby's Inn is as little closer, but I was wondering about the CG's at Panguitch Lake.

Tom,

Following from my son regards flies for the Kern River...I just let him tie mine to hard to remember everything...tim

<<Fish on the Kern aren?t super selective.  The standard attractor dries and nymphs work well most of the time.  I carry a few specific caddis and mayfly imitations for those times that fish get picky.  I also nymph deep with stone flies when the water is high.  Stripping buggers always produces some decent trout.

General attractors:

Gold ribbed hares ears

BH pheasant tail (14, 16,18)

Regular pheasant tail with flash (14, 16, 18)

Thread body bead heads in red and black (16, 18)  I like these with a tungsten bead when fishing dry/dropper combos

Parachute adams 18,16,14,12

Rubber leg stimulator  in orange, yellow, green  14, 12\

Ants in red and black

Parachute madame x ? size 6, 8,10, 12

Caddis:

x-caddis in olive, tan, brown 18,16,14

cdc and elk caddis18,16,14

ez caddis 18, 16,14

partridge caddis 18,16

Mayflies:

olive and yellow parachutes 18,16

cdc emergers 16, 18 for pmd, sulphurs (14) and olives  I tie a variation of Lawson?s ?last chance emerger?

Pmd and olive cripples 18,16

The river always nymphs well throughout the day.  I also fish a dry/dropper set up quite a bit.  I like high floating caddis imitations with a tungsten bead head about 18 inches below.

Have fun,

Chris Lassen>>

any body fish up at duck creek, ut. we(family) will be going camping and fishing up there over the July 13-15th weekend.this will be our first real Camping trip with our toy hauler. yes we have been desert camping with the toys but not near a lake.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
urnwholesaler
Back
Top Bottom