Dash cams anyone?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Back2PA

My SO has been thinking about a dash cam for her car, which got me thinking it would be slick to use it to record videos from the coach on some of our drives. However, most of the ones I?ve looked at have very short recording loops, 5-10 min. I realize this is a math problem involving resolution and card size, think I?d be happy with 720p. Anyone have a dashcam they?re happy with that has a long recording loop?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01MEESC0I/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I have been using this one for the last year and I am very happy with it. It is a dash cam and a back up cam in one form. Replaces the rear view mirror nicely. The recording times are adjustable but I don't know what the times are.

Dash cams can have a two edged sword.

The recording can be confiscated by the police and used in court in case of an accident.

If you are completely within the law in case of an accident all is well if you were at fault then it could hang you.

As Tom says many of the cams are adjustable in the length of video segment they record. Sometimes dictated by the size of the SD card you use. The video quality isn't HD in most cases, but good enough to watch the scenery go by. 

As for the legal ramifications, if you drive safely there is a 99% chance any video captured in an accident will benefit you.

The one I am using has HD video.

"Simultaneous recording in Full HD 1080P front and HD 720P rear at 30 frames per second - record in Super HD 1296P front with no rear camera connected"

I have been driving for over 50 years and I have never had an accident. I am a very careful driver (I drive catblaster nuts) and if I have an accident I feel the dash cam will help me not hurt me. Florida drivers are way worse than California drivers that I am used to. Amazing. Florida has the best roads and the worst drivers. :-\

We use a GoPro in our coach. I have it set for 90 minute segments and it will  sequently record on a 64GIG card until full and then starts over. A full card is about 10 hours of driving. Caught a DUI accident in a traffic circle last summer. About a mile down the road there was a WA trooper sitting. Stopped and told him what happened and I had the video. He took my contact info and said they would call if they video was needed. Never did get a call.

GoPro is definitely the way to go, but didn?t want to spend the money just for brief segments worth saving. Maybe when I run out of other RV things to spend money on (ya, right)  ::)

You may want to look at the Akaso from Amazon. It is the best selling "Gopro" type camera for hundreds of dollars less. I bought both the GO Pro Black and the Akaso and tried them out. I found very little difference and sent the Go Pro back. You will also need to purchase the accessory pack that goes with it to get the windshield mount and the 64 gb mini card. Total cost was under $70 last year. I get about 5 hours of battery life but two batteries come with the camera along with a charger. It also comes with an adapter for the mini card to be used in your computer. Read the reviews and you too will be sold.

Ro1459, Which model Akaso camera do you have, there are many models on Amazon including one dash cam model.  Dick

I wouldn't worry about the length of the files.  Just put a 64 GB memory card (about $20).  There are all kinds of free programs to edit them into a single file.

I suggest 1080 resolution at a minimum.  Anything less makes facial and license plate recognition more difficult.

I use  garmin 35 in toad and rv.
I have presented two videos to police and insurance companies in 3 years. Both capturing accidents showing other guy at fault with their vehicle, their faces and their license plates in clear view. Both times it was hit and run, one insured, one not.
Really like what they do and recommend them.

I have a Falcon Zero F170HD+, which was recommended here.  $119.  Does a decent job overall, better in the day time.  Loop time is adjustable.  It will hold 36 hours of video on the card shipped with the unit.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
automedicmobile
Back
Top Bottom