tongue weight question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DonTom

My hitch has the typical  350 lb tongue weight limit.

When I add up the weight my electric motorcycle (2017 Zero DS ZF 6.5 ) and the carrier, it is around 355 lbs.

Is this 5 lbs over something I should be concerned with?

-Don-  Auburn, CA

Original owner of:
1971 Black BMW R75/5
1984 Red Yamaha Venture
2002 Yellow Suzuki DR200SE
2013 Blue Triumph Trophy SE
2016 Orange/Black Kawasaki Versys 650 LT
2016 Orange Moto Guzzi Stelvio
2017 Orange/Black Zero DS ZF 6.5
2017 Red Zero SR ZF13 w/ Pwr Tank

Depends on what your tongue weight percentage is.  If it is less than 12% then you will probably have a trailer that will not tow well and subject to sway.

I don't think tongue weight percentage applies here. This appears to be a motorcycle carrier on a receiver hitch. No trailer involved.

Is 5# over a problem? Not really, cause the ratings aren't that precise to begin with.  We are only talking 1.5% overage, so hopefully not critical.  However, running anything at its max limit requires a bit of faith in the engineering as well as the individual installation.

Make a note to visually check for bending, cracking, shifting, etc., every couple of months at least. There will likely be some kind of visual warning before it just gives out.

I assume, as Gary stated, this is a carrier in the receiver on the back of the camper.  There are several factors in play  A RECEIVER may be rated at 350 lb, but the way it was installed may not support the load.  Likewise, we have seen cases where vehicle was rated for 350 lb max hitch load but it had a 500 lb max load receiver.  The max ix still 350 lb - weakest link.  A good welder can inspect it and correct any deficiencies if needed.

If it is truly good for 350 lb, that extra 5 lb does not matter!

grashley said:
I assume, as Gary stated, this is a carrier in the receiver on the back of the camper. 
It's the ABHD shown here, the one with the 400 lbs capacity.

Thanks for all the replies. I didn't think the extra few lbs would be a big deal. I just thought I should check in here and see what others say. I will keep an eye on it for any problems.

I have not yet used it with my E-motorcycle. I have used it with my Suzuki DR200SE which is just a little lighter. The batteries are heavy in these e-motorcycles.

My lighter E-motorcycle is in Reno. But my RV is here in Auburn. I will soon drive the RV back to Reno and see how the E-motorcycle fits.

-Don-  Auburn, CA

Back
Top Bottom