EPDM Coatings
rvupgradestore.com Composet Products Custom Yacht Interiors

Author Topic: Any other newbies overwhelmed by the shear numbers . . .  (Read 1310 times)

NY_Dutch

• ---
  • Following the warm weather!
Re: Any other newbies overwhelmed by the shear numbers . . .
« Reply #30 on: October 09, 2017, 08:10:40 PM »
I think I know why my understanding of length was wrong.

I own a 20'-2" boat. It's model is 202. It is measured bow to stern, 20'-2". The model length does not include the outboard or length of trailer extending from bow to coupler. So I guess in RV terms it would be called a 28' boat.

I didn't understand RV length included driver area and front end.

In most Class A's and some Class C's, the driver and passenger seats can be rotated to become part of the living area seating. And the front windows also add to the living area "view" of course.
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 Chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox base plate

NCSU Dad

• ---
  • OBX NC
« Reply #31 on: October 10, 2017, 06:19:02 AM »
I like the rvusa site a bit better. https://www.rvusa.com/rv-guide/specs-by-type-class-c-t3 .  You can look at more floor plans at one time. Then, figure out if the layout you like is available in a shorter/longer version.

Thanks for the link. Finding a few layouts we like before hitting the pavement to dealers is our plan.
Again looking at Thor on that website shows they have 317 floorplans!

wijames2002

• ---
  • "The cure for all problems is sun and saltwater"
« Reply #32 on: October 10, 2017, 07:07:22 AM »
While an RV is indeed a luxury, or at least a discretionary purchase, the industry is actually extremely price competitive, especially toward the lower end.  With so many makes and models, including many smaller or regional competitors to the Big Three, cost & price are pared to the bone regardless of the level of function and amenities.  Price-wise, most Rvs are actually bargain-basement for what they provide.

The cost is high largely because of the two factors already mentioned:
1. It's a fully furnished cottage on wheels, complete with multiple and self contained power systems and its own water and sewage plant.
2. Hand built in small volumes using mostly off-the-shelf components. Almost no economy of scale as there is with cars and light trucks.

That being said, it really surprises me how little quality workmanship goes into them. I have a friend who delivers motorhomes across the US and he said he rarely delivers one that doesn't have some kind of problem on its first trip. That's just sad!

Gary RV_Wizard

• Forum Staff
  • ---
  • RVer Emeritus
« Reply #33 on: October 10, 2017, 09:19:12 AM »
I copied this from the Winnebago Class C site for discussion sake.
Model         22M    22R      25B    26A  31D   31G   31K
Length      24'2"    23'10" 26'2"  27'1"  32'9" 32'9" 32'9"

Are these lengths front bumper to back bumper?
I assumed length meant distance from back of drivers seat to back wall.

An RV has an overall length and a floor plan length. The floor plan label, e.g. 22M or 31G, typically indicates the usable floor plan space, e.g. 22 ft or 31 ft. The other "length" is overall, stem-to-stern, as it were. For a travel trailer with a long tongue at the front, the difference can be 4-5 ft. For a Class A, not much difference.

Depending on the style and floor plan, "usable space" can include the driver seating area. Always in a Class A, and often in a C.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2017, 09:21:23 AM by Gary RV_Wizard »
Gary
--------------
Gary Brinck
Summers: Black Mountain, NC
Home: Ocala National Forest, FL

Gary RV_Wizard

• Forum Staff
  • ---
  • RVer Emeritus
« Reply #34 on: October 10, 2017, 09:32:18 AM »
Whether you consider each floor plan a different model or not is semantics, I guess. For car-buyer example, a Chevy Malibu comes in L, LS, LT, LTX, Hybrid and Premier versions. Different models or different something else?  The label makes little difference, because it's a choice to make when you buy.  RVs have the additional factors of choosing a length as well as floor plan and trim levels. As I've said elsewhere, it's much more like buying a house than a vehicle!

You can do research in advance online, but you have to do some actual eyes-on viewing to bracket your choices. Get an idea of what approximate length and layout that seems suitable, so that you can ignore some of the many offerings.
Gary
--------------
Gary Brinck
Summers: Black Mountain, NC
Home: Ocala National Forest, FL

NCSU Dad

• ---
  • OBX NC
« Reply #35 on: October 10, 2017, 11:17:28 AM »
. . . For car-buyer example, a Chevy Malibu comes in L, LS, LT, LTX, Hybrid and Premier versions. Different models or different something else? . .

Using your Malibu example what I have not found yet in RV literature is the spreadsheet presentation auto makers provide that show standard features across their model line.  Showing what comes standard in the L, LS, LT, LTX, Hybrid, Premier models.

Using Forest River for example I can get individual brochures on their Class C Forester, Lexington, Ridgeview, Solera, Sunseeker models. I haven't found the auto manufacturer style sheet that compares standard features of all models in one spreadsheet. This would make my model selection easier.

I will keep searching.

Thanks to all who responded!

sadixon49

• ---
  • Fishers, Indiana
« Reply #36 on: October 11, 2017, 11:21:55 AM »
My Jayco 26XD is 26' from the nose of the doghouse above the cab, to the rear of the house, but it's 28' 3" from bumper to bumper. Essentially the model indicates the length of the "house", of course bumper to bumper is overall length. My previous coach, a Thor 22FE, was measured about the same way, with a 22' house and 24' 6" overall.
steve
2017 Jayco Redhawk 26XD
E-450 Ford, 6.8 V-10
EEZRV TPMS

ArdraF

• ---
« Reply #37 on: October 11, 2017, 06:51:40 PM »
I haven't found the auto manufacturer style sheet that compares standard features of all models in one spreadsheet. This would make my model selection easier.

I'm guessing you won't find such a concise style sheet because "standard" almost doesn't exist in the RV world and they might change something in the middle of a model year.  In other words, RVs aren't very similar to cars except for the wheels, engine and other chassis items.

ArdraF
ArdraF
:D :D

FunSteak

• ---
« Reply #38 on: October 12, 2017, 12:29:41 PM »
Basic newcomers question.

I copied this from the Winnebago Class C site for discussion sake.
Model         22M    22R      25B    26A  31D   31G   31K
Length      24'2"    23'10" 26'2"  27'1"  32'9" 32'9" 32'9"

Are these lengths front bumper to back bumper?
I assumed length meant distance from back of drivers seat to back wall.

It's bumper to bumper.  We have a 26A, and it's 27' long.  We'd wondered the same until I took a tape measure when we went looking at coaches. 
JP & Karen
2017 Minnie Winnie 26a

Drifterrider

• ---
« Reply #39 on: October 21, 2017, 08:27:59 PM »
It seems to be very easy to fall into "analysis paralysis".  I think the process of elimination is a good way to go.  Rule out what you don't want, narrow the field.  Model numbers don't seem to relate the same on R/Vs as on boats.  225 doesn't always mean 22'6".  Or it might mean the box is that long.  Or the overall length.  Or nothing at all.

Have you seen the choices you can have with new trucks?  Ford F150 has 10 possible combinations.  10.  For one platform of truck.

Hosted by Over The Network