Towing a Chevy Equinox

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Barber

I am looking at 2016 Equinox to tow. Anyone tow an Equinox? I would like your input on it, 4 or 6 cyl. Like, Dislike, Pros & cons.
Thank You.
Barber

With the Honda CR-V no longer being towable (2015 and later models), IMO the Equinox becomes one of the leading candidates for a toad.  We seriously considered one in 2014 when we bought our Honda and it was a very close "runner up."  We also rented one a for a few weeks a couple of years ago after our Honda had been in an accident and we had no significant complaints.  I believe the 2018 Equinox is a new design so my comments aren't as germane about it.

FWIW, I'd like to note that we also happen to own a manual-transmission Hyundai Elantra which can be towed even though none of the Elantra automatics can.  I mention it because considering manual transmission vehicles broadens the choice of a toad significantly.  Although many in the younger generation can't drive a stick, most of us "old guys" learned to do it decades ago.  Although I didn't buy my Elantra in order to tow it, I do enjoy the manual transmission since it gives the driver better control over engine performance (if used correctly).  JMO

DW and I looked at the Equinox to replace our Explorer. The V6 felt lot better than the four cylinder. It just felt more solid. In the end though, we kept the Explorer. The Explorer is a better fit for us.

Seems to me the question is almost exclusively a matter of personal likes & dislikes. The Equinox is towable with either engine, 2wd or 4wd. It weighs under 4000 lbs empty, so towable by most any coach. Reviews are mostly quite favorable, and there are a variety of trim levels to suit your wants, needs and budget.

The base model and 4 cylinder engine is not exactly inspiring to automotive fans, but folks who want basic transport seem happy with it.  If you can afford the V6 and LT trim, it's quite a nice vehicle.

The GMC Terrain is a sister model that is bit more upscale and generally ranked a bit better than the Equinox, perhaps because there is no really low-end Terrain.  The 4 cylinder model seems to perform well-enough, but that's a matter of your expectations.

I have a 2017 Equinox LT with the 4 cylinder engine. I am well pleased except, I should have gotten a few more of the upgrades.

I don't have one, but on the FMCA board there is a lot of talk about the 4cyl having trouble with the electric steering and wobbling.

No problems are reported with the 6cyl which has hydraulic steering.

So all I know is if I were going to buy an Equinox it would be a 6cyl or nothing - JMO

judway said:
I towed my 2017 LT model 4 cyl for about 4K miles this last summer and didn't notice any problems.

I certainly didn't mean to say that ALL 4 cyl versions have a problem.  Why some do and some don't is what they are trying to figure out.
Also I'm not sure if anything was fixed in the 2017 and all the problems are with older units or you just got lucky and don't have any issues.

I want to say they had about 60 people respond.  They also said that for some it only happened while making slow speeds tight turns or going across railroad tracks and others only on the highway after encountering a rough or uneven patch of road.

My husband and I have a 2013 4 cyl Equinox that we have towed behind our class a for the last two years.
We love it.

What I've been able to find about the "wobble problem" so far is show below. I only find one complaint so far, but there is a similar one for a 4-cylinder GMC Terrain..

[NHTSA] Complaint Number: 10925007  Vehicle Identification Number: 2GNFLFEK9E..........  Your Vehicle's Make Model and Model Year: CHEVROLET EQUINOX 2014  Note: Your VIN, make, model, and year are all protected under the Privacy Act.  What part of your car was affected? Unknown or Other  What happened?
We have been having problems as have a few more with our 2014 Chev Equinox LT 4 cylinder motor when we drive on uneven, frost heaves, pot holes roads, any roads. The vehicle when flat towed behind a motorhome will start the "Death Wobble" I violently shakes the motorhome until we come to a complete stop and then we can start out again. It will do this at any speed. We are following the owners manual and proper hitch adjustments, the 4 cylinder Equinox has electronic steering as opposed to the 6 cylinder Equinox, that does not experience this problem, has hydraulic steering. Jeep had the same problem with the Cherokee but the developed a wiring fix that powers the electronic power steering wien under tow, GM has yet to admit to the problem. The video I am sending is of a Jeep Cherokee, but this is exactly what our 4 cylinder 2014 Equinox does, as do many more owners say their 4 cylinder Equinox's does. I had to include a date when this has happened, it has happened many more times than the one I had to put down, this was just the last time it happened. I have tried to send a video, cannot get it done, but if you go to youtube and type in search, death wobble in jeep Cherokee towed behind motorhome and look at 2014 jeep Cherokee shaking violently while being towed you will see what is happening to our 4 cylinder 2014 Chevrolet Equinox. This happens at any speed 10-60mph and it does not make a difference at what mileage it is. We bought the vehicle with 21184 miles on it, it now has 42555 miles on it.  When did this happen? 11/04/2016  Was there a Crash? No  Was there a Fire? No  Was there an injury or fatality? No  How fast were you going? (in mph) 55  About how many miles were on your vehicle at the time of the incident? 42555

I see a further comment that says pulling fuse #32 deactivates the electric-power steering and solves the problem?

Read the FMCA topic here:
http://community.fmca.com/topic/10128-2014-equinox-wobble/

I haven't gotten my switch installed to do the same as pulling the fuse. The fuse is operational all of the time. The switch was started but not finished.

docj said:
With the Honda CR-V no longer being towable (2015 and later models), IMO the Equinox becomes one of the leading candidates for a toad.  We seriously considered one in 2014 when we bought our Honda and it was a very close "runner up."  We also rented one a for a few weeks a couple of years ago after our Honda had been in an accident and we had no significant complaints.  I believe the 2018 Equinox is a new design so my comments aren't as germane about it.

FWIW, I'd like to note that we also happen to own a manual-transmission Hyundai Elantra which can be towed even though none of the Elantra automatics can.  I mention it because considering manual transmission vehicles broadens the choice of a toad significantly.  Although many in the younger generation can't drive a stick, most of us "old guys" learned to do it decades ago.  Although I didn't buy my Elantra in order to tow it, I do enjoy the manual transmission since it gives the driver better control over engine performance (if used correctly).  JMO

For 2018 only the 1.5l FWD Equinox or the 1.6l Diesel AWD or FWD Equinox are towable 4 down.

Gary RV_Wizard said:
Seems to me the question is almost exclusively a matter of personal likes & dislikes. The Equinox is towable with either engine, 2wd or 4wd. It weighs under 4000 lbs empty, so towable by most any coach. Reviews are mostly quite favorable, and there are a variety of trim levels to suit your wants, needs and budget.

The base model and 4 cylinder engine is not exactly inspiring to automotive fans, but folks who want basic transport seem happy with it.  If you can afford the V6 and LT trim, it's quite a nice vehicle.

The GMC Terrain is a sister model that is bit more upscale and generally ranked a bit better than the Equinox, perhaps because there is no really low-end Terrain.  The 4 cylinder model seems to perform well-enough, but that's a matter of your expectations.

The 2018 Terrains are no longer towable. They now have a 9 speed transmission

Just contributing information learned the hard way. We purchased a new 2018 1.5l AWD Equinox and after purchasing found out it was no longer towable. We just raded it for a 1.6l Diesel Equinox that Chevrolet confirms is towable. Will be getting it ready to tow soon.

John, please respond on how you like the 2018 Equinox diesel?  It's our choice right now.  Would appreciate hearing your comments on road noise, passing ability, towing, etc.  May need to follow the new rules with the electronic assisted steering.  For all others, the 2018 Equinox diesel is a viable toad because it utilizes the 6 speed automatic.  All other Equinox's don't don't....  GM found no advantage with the 8 speed on with the diesel.  Got to love the outstanding mpg with the diesel!

Back
Top Bottom