Itasca Suncruiser 38J - Your experiences & thoughts

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I really like the Floorplan of the Suncruiser 38J.  I have seen years from 2007 to 2008 where the TV is in the living area and the 3 large windows in the dining area.  I like this set up.  What years was this floor plan actually made?  A couple of questions for those that do own them or have owned them:

1) Have you been happy with it overall?  Any major problems with it?
2) Are there any other brands that would have a similar floor plan?

Thanks for your responses.

We have a 2005 Winnebago Voyage with the 38J floor plan, and we really like it.  When we started looking for our second motorhome, we looked at many makes, models and floor plans, and decided this was the best for us.  The opposing front slides, the tv facing the sitting area, the large kitchen counter space, and the separate shower and toilet were what sold us on this floor plan.

As far as problems peculiar to this floor plan, the only one we have had is the slide mechanism on the aft end of the driver side slide, It carries more weight that the other mechanisms and the plastic bearings wear faster, and also that end of the slide can sag a bit after time, and need to be adjusted, but with proper care and maintenance, there shouldnt be a problem.

Are we happy with it?  Yes, we are currently looking to upgrade to a diesel pusher, and want the same or similar floor plan.

We did find a couple other motorhomes that have similar floor plans.  One is the Forrest River Georgetown 378 made in the mid to later 2000s.  I cant recall the other.

Paul & Ann said:
Yes, we are currently looking to upgrade to a diesel pusher, and want the same or similar floor plan.

We did find a couple other motorhomes that have similar floor plans.  One is the Forrest River Georgetown 378 made in the mid to later 2000s.  I cant recall the other.

Look at the Winnebago 2005  Vectra FD 40ft diesel pusher (400 HP) you might like that floorplan too. :)  (No ours is not for sale)

We have looked at the Vectra FD, but we are looking newer.  We like the Winnebago Journey 40 U, or the Itasca Meridian 40 U. 

Paul & Ann said:
We have looked at the Vectra FD, but we are looking newer.  We like the Winnebago Journey 40 U, or the Itasca Meridian 40 U.

Those look great too! But for now, we keep our Vectra :)  Good luck with your search!

I have an 06 Winnebago Adventurer that has the three windows in the dining room and the tv next to the Windows. I just purchased it and really like it. I replaced the day night shades over the windows with some nice light blocking drapes. So much easier than the others. I like the tv where it is because it makes it feel more like a real living space.
Cannot think of many negatives but I d have foggy windows in two of the ones I mentioned. Need to get them fixed somewhere but other than that I really like it. My 8.1 Chevy is very powerful and rides well too. Feel free to ask me anything else about it.
Thanks,
Ted

The 3 window corner fireplace/TV was about the only layout my wife and I liked in all the motorhomes we saw.

I first saw it on a Winne 38J and that started me on a search for other motorhomes with that same layout.  After talking with some RV oldtimers about that layout,  I found out that a company name Rexhall started building rigs like that 20 years ago. 

I ended up buying a Rexhall 3550BSL because it has that same layout,  and a full cast fiberglass roof.

We have since remodeled the living room, removed the all the furniture, the J-couch stuff, dinette etc,  we replaced everything with a big recliner (me), a glider rocking chair (wife), and a twin bed hide-a-bed couch (guests). We put a computer desk over where the dinette was in front of the 3 big windows,

We love it,  5 years later and we have not had a single problem with it,

We have the 2006 (built in 05) Suncruiser 38J that we obtained in December, 2007.  We were looking for this specific floor plan and been well satisfied with it. 

We have had typical issues with it, converter, inverter, pot rebuild etc.  I have replaced two of the cathedral swing out window panels myself; one obtained from the factory and the other fabricated locally.  We experienced the separation of the air conditioning duct behind the rear cap but is was an easy fix just irritating.

We have removed the Euro chair and foot stool, the reclining couch/bed and the table and chair and installed two recliner rockers to better utilize the area.  The television down low makes for enjoyable viewing.

The Workhorse chassis has had no issues to date with just routine & preventative maintenance.  The ride is decent dependant on loading and tire pressures.  We pull a 2005 PT Cruiser convertible and the coach handles it with no problems.

The large compartments that slide out with the slides are great but you have to judicious in not loading them up with a lot of weight. 

We are well satisfied with our 38J and hope this may help your in your search.

Best regards,

70RM21E63

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CampMike2270
Back
Top Bottom