Watching Nascar In Your RV

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

john owens

I have wanted to go to my first Nascar race for several years now in our Class A. I would love to hear first hand knowledge on those that have done it or are still going. We can go to Fontana or Vegas Or Arizonia tracks. Which is the best for overall enjoyment? What can a newbie expect? Which row would be the most fun? Not sweating the cost so much as all the hassle of being in a tight area with a bunch of party goers...Thanks for all input!!!

john owens said:
I have wanted to go to my first Nascar race for several years now in our Class A. I would love to hear first hand knowledge on those that have done it or are still going. We can go to Fontana or Vegas Or Arizonia tracks. Which is the best for overall enjoyment? What can a newbie expect? Which row would be the most fun? Not sweating the cost so much as all the hassle of being in a tight area with a bunch of party goers...Thanks for all input!!!

My DW and I went to Daytona back in 79. We stayed in the infield in the back of our PU which had a cap on it. We had a ball. We were right on turn 2.

We've gone to NASCAR at Las Vegas Motor Speedway twice and stayed on the property but just outside the track.  Certainly nothing fancy with gravel and no hookups but it worked very well.  I think there may be parking in the infield but not sure.  It's close enough that you can walk across the street to the Iron Skillet restaurant.  The fun part of being there was that it's right next to Nellis AFB and we really enjoyed an "airshow" as the fighters took off and landed.  Being up high in the stands is better in terms of visibility but our friends got the tickets and we understood that you work your way up to the better seats each time you attend.  We went with a couple of years in between and the second time the seats were better.  Parking at the track is infinitely better than staying elsewhere because of the heavy traffic caused by limited road access because of Nellis being next door.  We tried driving out for dinner one night and never did get to the restaurant we wanted but pulled into a different one simply because there was too much traffic.  I would recommend eating in or staying within walking distance.

ArdraF

My trip is going to be limited to myself and DW because of bad knees and back. So truth be told I will be sitting in a camp chair or in the drivers seat watching. Also having the travler sat equipment it will be on the tv as well. One of the tracks show RV'S sitting up looking over the backstretch. That appeals to us. Just want to experience the sound and smells and people..bucket list thing I guess. Anybody else have experience with this??? Everytime I watch it on TV I see several hundred rigs spread all around....

I was born and raised in Daytona Beach. They were still racing on the beach when I was a kid. I went to the first Daytona 500 at the new track. Lee Petty won the race. We used go to the infield the night before the race and spend the night in our cars and trucks. I would fill the bed of my brand new 71 Ford P/U with firewood and we would have bonfires and drink beer all night. I think It cost about $10 to get in the infield back then. We live in Dover, DE now and have no desire to go to a race. A lot of folks do come though and there are many places to park RV's on and off track property. The track is on the main drag in Dover and walking distance to many restaurants and stores.

I've heard that parking in the infield is VERY expensive, probably because space is limited.

ArdraF

I just checked the Daytona Speedway site for prices. There are two campgrounds in the infield. The campground on the lake is $2950 for two people, RV and tow or towed vehicle. Extra person is an additional $325?. That campground is sold out for 2018 500 race. The other campground is $2700. I think both CG's are full hook ups.

Also, when parking in the infield, you dont get to see much of the race, unless you get up on top of your RV.  Las Vegas has RV parking overlooking the track, but I wasnt able to find the cost on their website, but I would guess between $500 to $1000 for the weekend, if you can get a ticket.  Phoenix is putting in RV parking overlooking the track, and I believe it will be done by next year.  I would guess the pricing would be about the same as Vegas.

If you are planning on sitting in the grandstand at Vegas, you need to get up about 30 rows in order to see over the media building to see the back stretch.

In Phoenix you dont have the problem with the media center, unless they are building one during their current remodel project.  Also, at Phoenix if you dont park on the overlook, the RV parking area spreads out to the west of the track, but they do have a very good tram system, so you dont have to walk too far from your RV to get on one.

Hope this helps.

Dover, DE is $50-$1900 outside the track. Far as I can tell there is no camping in the infield.

I went to my first NASCAR race three years ago and I loved it. It is way better in person than on TV. The smell, the sounds, the crowd. But the crowd is also why I have not been back. A ten mile traffic jam getting into the place (Daytona) and mess getting out and the parking lot is unbelievable in size.

We experienced our first NASCAR race in our camper at Indianapolis last year, went to Loudon NH and Pocono this year. It was tight but a different and worthwhile experience at Indianapolis. We had plenty  of room at NH where you get the site for 8 days - basically the week prior and day after the race. We went in on Wed.  Saw the hauler parade Thursday night and meet some nice people. We stayed at a private campground a few miles from the Pocono track.  It is fun enough that I would try to experience other tracks. Watkins Glen might be next. There are other things to do and others races including local series. Went through the museum at Indy and a brand new one at NH. We have done it with family joining us at the camper and enjoyed the family time as well as the racing.

viceprice said:
went to Loudon NH and Pocono this year. It was tight but a different and worthwhile experience at Indianapolis. We had plenty  of room at NH where you get the site for 8 days - basically the week prior and day after the race. We went in on Wed.  Saw the hauler parade Thursday night and meet some nice people.

I live about 35 miles from Loudon.

Back
Top Bottom