Another "Hot" and cold tip for the road.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

carson

Having a weakness for gadgets, (remember my Laser level tip?) I found another 'must-have' gadget for the RV. For $4.99 I couldn't resist.

It's an 'Instant Read Thermometer' the analog version (no batteries). 5" tip.
It even has a pocket clip on the protective sleeve, like a pen. You never know when it'll come in handy.  :D

It covers the range from 0 degF to 220 degF, plus and minus 1 deg. accuracy.
Takes 10-15 seconds for best reading; longer for air readings.
Do not use for oven temp, it'll melt.

Here, among other things, are items which you can measure:

Your oven/microwave roast, chicken, steak, casseroles, soup, etc.
  Your freezer temp, as well as the refridgerator temp.
  The hot water tank flow temp.
  The A/C air flow temp. (Best checked when it is cool outside) Efficiency of the system..
  Inside room temp and outside temp, when placed in the shade.
  Your body temp, when placed under tongue, not into it.
  Check your Hot Toddy or Coffee, so you don'y have to sue yourself, when spilling it.

I suppose I have missed a bunch of unique applications.

(Cold feet, hot temper, luke warm/hot air arguments, how cold is snow)?.  ::)

Do I have a winner?  Yes___  No___  Maybe___

carson FL 80.5F

Well, I don't know if it's something that one "just couldn't do without", but it certainly could come in handy, I'll give it that.  Where did you pick up this little jewel of the nile?

A good question!
First I'll state that the following is not a commercial statement.

On a recent trip to Tarpon Springs, FL on the West coast central Florida, we stopped for groceries at a Supermarket in Palm Harbor. (Sweet Bay- ex. Kash and Karry). It was one of the impulse dispays in the kitchen gadget area.
  A little far for you to go there from TX. Nice place to visit though, worth the trip.

carson

Carson,

I took a multi-meter with a built-in temperature probe along with us when we PDI'd our new (to us) motorhome a couple of weeks ago. When touring a new unit, the dealers love to say "see, the light is on for the fridge, so it must be working." I stuck the probe in the freezer and continued the inspection. As a last step, three hours later, we checked the meter and it showed a suitable drop in temperature for me to agree the unit was working. Even the dealer said he'd like to have one to prove the units are working.

I bought mine for around nine bucks. They are a great idea.

Bigdog

Bet you a coffee and donut it is a Fluke brand.

I have a wireless thermometer and clock.  It has a remote I leave in the fridge.  I can see time, temp in coach and temp in fridge.  If I were going thry a coach on delivery I would stick the remote in fridge and check it a few minutes later. 

Oregon Scientific also has with up to 3 remotes, nice for outside temp, freezer and fridge.  Had that one, but after many years using realized that freezer was always OK and the window therm would tell me outside.  That one went with the coach and started from scratch with new unit.

The meter reads model DT-838, but no manufacturer, so I guess we're square on the donut and coffee. I got it at Princess Auto here in Canada, something like Toys-R-Us but for big guys. Pretty sure Radio Shack would carry it something similar in the U.S.

Bigdog

The DT-838 is made by ZANGZHOU WEIHUA Electronic Co. Ltd. in China.

Just google the number.

You can get refer/freezer/cooking thermototers in dollar stores, No need for fancy electrionics

That said I have a very nice Radio Shack multimeter, Tests Volts/Ohms/Amps of course, frequency, transistor gain, temperture, capacitor capaticance and more... Fits a FLUKE carry case like it was made for it.

Thank you. I Googled the model number . A Russian language site indicated it is a Unitest brand (I think) FWIW. Looks like a good item to have around.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MoeHoward
Back
Top Bottom