Winter storage question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

msu50000

Our travel trailer will be stored outside for the winter in a storage facility as we don't have the room at home or the neighborhood for it. My question is in regards to tire pressure. It will be sitting for 4 or 5 months, should I go into storage with the tires set at their recommended pressure? Will they get flat spots sitting that long in the cold? Should I use the stabilizers to take a small amount of weight off the tires (without jacking up and damaging frame)? Thanks for any input or advice.

The tire manufacturers recommend increasing pressure to max load, or even 10% above the max load pressure. And also using jacks or blocks to take the weight off.

Your stabilizers won't lift much - they aren't designed to carry much weight. The best practice would be to jack the trailer frame using a hydraulic or scissor jack and place some blocks under it once its lifted a bit.

I don't know that any of this is of great importance, but that's what the tire manufacturers like Michelin and Goodyear say in their RV tire guides.

http://www.michelinrvtires.com/reference-materials/tire-guide-warranties-and-bulletins/

As of today, our motorhome is winterized and will sit until the end of March. I backed it into the driveway and just parked it - the same as we've been doing with various campers for the last twenty-something years.

Do not use the stabilizer jacks unless you also block the frame. If a tire loses air it will put too much weight on the stabilizer and possibly bend the frame.

Back
Top Bottom