Extra wide trim?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

robertrhu

Hi All!

I'm tackling my first RV remodel with a 1983 22' Komfort Kamper. Been a really fun project!

I'm planning on using extra wide trim for the corners, roof and bottom rail. I'm hoping to figure something out that will cover 2 inches along edges. The top of the roof doesn't need to be 2", but the visible wall edge does need to be. The same goes for the bottom rails. But I would like the corners to cover 2" on both edges.

I've been searching conventional RV trim and haven't found anything. I figure I might be able to use standard house flashing for the roof and bottom rail, but the front and back corners present challenges finding anything other than trim specifically designed for RVs. And searching RV trim I'm not finding anything that wide.

Any thoughts on where I might find RV trim this wide? Or other creative options?

I've attached a photo of the trailer in its current state.

Thanks in advance!
Robert

Attachments

• trailer.jpeg
    trailer.jpeg
    153.6 KB · Views: 68
You might look at plastic lumber since it excellent to work with. I have used it on an old TT I rebuilt and have used it around vinyl house windows to trim them out. It would be very expensive to use a 4x4 vinyl post to cut a 2x2 angle out of it so you might consider not using an angle but use two pieces with a caulk joint at the corner. Home Depot carries 1/4" or 5/16" inch thick material that could be ripped to 2 inch wide. I shoot it on with galvanized 16 gauge nails and caulk over the tiny holes. They sell brown deck board that may also work.

Your siding looks like wood so you may be able to do the same with lumber if you have a table saw. Caulks such as Quad seal or others are excellent so you may be able to caulk the corner first to keep water out and then trim over it so there isn't heavy caulk showing.

Thanks for the tips QZ! Great suggestions! I''m using aluminum sheet from the front to back, so there will be about a 1.5" corner of bent metal along the edge. Could caulk the corner underneath the metal, then silicon the metal to the siding, and THEN plastic lumber or wood to trim it out. Finally a nice bead of silicon or caulk along the edge and in the middle of the trim. Seems to me this would be a bomber solution. Of course problematic when the underneath sealant cracks. But with so many layers seems leaking would be a rare possibility, no? Can the plastic lumber be painted well?

Yup Rene, thats the look and feel of the trailer. Its burnished/charred pine tongue and groove siding with a cherry stain/sealer.

I would look closely at which sealant you choose. There are a variety of silicones but there may be much better choices and others on here may give their ideas. Some will say NEVER use any silicone on an RV but the factory used silicone on my slide and I've seen a Tiffin slide with silicone. It's probably 100% silicone and maybe some other special type. 

I wouldn't use Dicor either. I used it around some plastic trim areas and it didn't hold up at all but it was pretty easy to remove. I have used 5200 on some trim pieces and around ladder mounts and it holds up well. Some will argue that it's not removable and I would guess that that is true if used between two objects such as transom mounts. I found when it's used as a caulk and not sandwiched it is removable. I had no problems when I needed to remove my ladder. I like the small tube size and screw on cap for touching something up but it's too pricey for your use.

After finding a window leak where the factory missed part of the putty tape I decided to just seal around all the windows and door using Geocell clear and it has held up well for 3 years.

I have also used OSI Quad seal. People seem to like Quadseal and Geocell. Quadseal about $6 proflex about $10

All great considerations with the sealant. Thanks!

The issue with the house aluminum fascia trim is bending around the corners. Maybe a metal machine shop could bend it to fit?

You might consider using 2'' aluminum angle and miter the joints where the plane changes. I bedded the angle on my rebuild with a polymer caulk. That was over 4 years ago and it is still holding up well even the caulk that is exposed to the Florida sun.

Tom

I helped my friend repair the front of his trailer. Because he used a thicker plywood on the side the original molding would not cover the corner. I used 1 1/2 aluminum angle to cover the corner. I had to cut Vs in it to get it to form to the trailer. I will get a couple of pictures and post them.

I looked for the vinyl insert trim in an extra wide style but the widest I found matched what I already had ion my RV.  I forget the leg lengths but it wasn't very wide....neighborhood of one inch.

I was liking the PVC angle idea...could likely warm it and bend to radius....

but looking at your photo it looks like you are working straight lines, so the mitered aluminum might work very well.  leave the leg facing front intact and miter the other leg, bending the front leg so that there is no seam at all facing the front relative wind...

Look at eternabond tape, specifically their web seal and double stick products for sealing under that corner trim....

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
automedicmobile
Back
Top Bottom