Recommendation on a chrome box

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

eliallen

Mother board is toast and don't need windows any more. Only doing the web .

I have used four Chromebooks in the last 5 years and you really can't go wrong with any one on the market today. You don't need to look at specs. Memory and processor speed have no effect on the speed of the Chromebook. The speed is determined by how fast your Internet connection is. They all come with at least 2 gigs and usually 4 gigs of memory and you just can't fill that much memory up on a Chromebook in normal operation. Hard drive space (SSD space actually) is not important because most everything is in the cloud. What is important is screen size. I have a 15 inch and that is my favorite size, YMMV. Here is a link to the one I have right now. After a year and a half it is still working perfectly. The first three I had I managed to make some of the keys to stop functioning.

https://www.amazon.com/Acer-Chromebook-15-6-inch-Celeron-CB5-571-C4G4/dp/B01CMYGAGY/ref=sr_1_3?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1507566343&sr=1-3&keywords=acer+chromebook+15

Thanks, I have a  2014 10"Chromebook, will dust it off and check it out.

My step mother has a chromebook, it is 1-2 years old, and the only big issue has been printing as you must have a google cloud print compatible printer for it to print.  Which may be an issue with limited internet connection, as it seems to send the document to be printed out over the internet, then back to print to a local printer.

My neighbor managed to mess up a chrome book that was given to him.  I googled how to do a full restore 'from the cloud' and had him back on the web in about 15 minutes.

When my DW manages to destroy her MacBook Air she'll be getting a chrome book.

Isaac-1 said:
My step mother has a chromebook, it is 1-2 years old, and the only big issue has been printing as you must have a google cloud print compatible printer for it to print.  Which may be an issue with limited internet connection, as it seems to send the document to be printed out over the internet, then back to print to a local printer.
Printing with a Chromebook was a bummer in the beginning. I went through three printers before I finally found one that works well. I don't think it sends the document to the Internet, you just need Wifi and it goes directly from the Chromebook to the printer. If you have a limited Internet connection then a Chromebook is not a good choice for anyone.

My nephew in California has a Chromebook that I gave to him and last year he messed it up and could not get it to work right. I forget what the problem was. But he called me and gave me his password and email and I logged on as him on my Chromebook and I had the problem solved in about one minute. Then when he logged back on it worked perfectly again. Recently he decided to upgrade and asked my opinion on which one to get. I told him the 15 incher. He was worried about moving all his stuff over and I told him relax. You buy the new Chromebook, log on and it will look identical to the old Chromebook. He was blown away.

Dust all gone, printer working, I have a 27" monitor connected to it. All that is left is moving the pic and docs to the cloud. Thanks for the replies.

I have had two chrome books.. Broke the 1st.

It was a HP, 150 dollars on Black Friday at Wal*mart  No special features

The replacement is also an HP 250 at Wal*mart, it features a Touch Screen option as well as the famous "Pad" (touch pad or glide pad I cuss out more than use)

I liked the 1st one better.. This one tends to be a bit "Sluggish" compared to the original

NOTE: To turn off the touch pat  SHIFT-SHERACH-P  (Search is the magnifying glass right where Shift Lock would be )

To turn Touch Screen on and off SHIFT-SHEACH-T

You want Caps Lock  I forget how to do that since I don't often use it

Oh Ctrl-Shift-H toggles "High Contrast Mode".

love ours. 
I use a Toshiba (discontinued)
my only beefs with it were no backlight in the keyboard and I went cheap and bought the smaller memory option.  Wish I would have gotten more memory since I tend to work with a lot of tabs open.  Regardless it has served me very well for a few years now.
still has ok battery life but not nearly as good as it was when new....
My wife has a few of the little asus flip over touch screen jobs.  I personally don't care for them but she loves them.

It's great how you can powerwash and be back fresh in a few minutes.... although I haven't had to even do that very much at all....

the printing thing.  Seilerbird is right that it's easier with the right printers.  Older printers need to be connected to the could through a local computer, but airprint ready ones are much cleaner. I still have problem once in a while printing odd things where landscape formatting really screws things up.

The only other issue is that some flash based things don't play well with them.  The kids have a few games they want to use but can't.

Back
Top Bottom