Inverter comm loss when master off

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Mile High said:
Kev, I don't think I do.  The owner didn't provide outlets in the garages so I assume that was to prevent us from plugging in, but I have thought about the garage door outlet at the ceiling.  The only problem is if I pop the breaker I may shut down the whole row of garage doors and I'll be ejected for sure :) 

Do you get this on your Tour if you kill the two battery switches?
There's nothing wrong with your system. I have the same inverter and remote, and yes... if I turn the Coach-Battery disconnect switch off, I get a "Lost Comm" error message and a red LED. It doesn't make any difference if the inverter is on or off when the disconnect switch is turned off - I get the same error message. (It goes away when you reconnect power.)

I do not get any inverter error messages when I turn the Chassis-Battery disconnect switch off, nor would I expect to, since the inverter isn't wired to the chassis batteries.

Kev

Kevin Means said:
There's nothing wrong with your system. I have the same inverter and remote, and yes... if I turn the Coach-Battery disconnect switch off, I get a "Lost Comm" error message and a red LED. It doesn't make any difference if the inverter is on or off when the disconnect switch is turned off - I get the same error message. (It goes away when you reconnect power.)

I do not get any inverter error messages when I turn the Chassis-Battery disconnect switch off, nor would I expect to, since the inverter isn't wired to the chassis batteries.

Kev
Ah, good to know Kevin, thanks! That was my original concern on this post.  Mine also returns to normal readings when I turn back on the disconnect. 

Now that I know nothing is broke, I can figure out a way to fix it whether it needs it or not :)  I still may try a disconnect to drop off that inverter, in case we get so covered in snow I can't get to the RV for a few months.

The discussion about disconnecting the inverter.  Is there a chance you are leaving the inverter turned on?

When I turn off my Magnum 2000 watt PSW inverter it doesn't use any current.  So I don't worry about disconnecting it when off of shore power.  I have the remote control panel so turning off and on the inverter is easy.

However, if I leave it turned on, it pulls about 1.5 amps even when there is no 120V device load on, all inverter AC sub panel CB's off.

AStravelers said:
The discussion about disconnecting the inverter.  Is there a chance you are leaving the inverter turned on?

When I turn off my Magnum 2000 watt PSW inverter it doesn't use any current.  So I don't worry about disconnecting it when off of shore power.  I have the remote control panel so turning off and on the inverter is easy.

However, if I leave it turned on, it pulls about 1.5 amps even when there is no 120V device load on, all inverter AC sub panel CB's off.
Al, I am able to turn off the inverter from the remote, and I verified that inverter itself goes off (green light off).  But even then I get the comm fault on the remote when the master switches are turned off.  The display shuts off after a while, but the red LED stays on.  I suppose that could be a small drain over time.

Well Lucky Day!!

I asked the owner of the garages if I could get an outlet, as I noticed my daughters garage next to me has one and I don't.  I even offered to pay.  He said oh man, must have missed one and he would take care of it right away - no charge!  I told him two, as we actually have two garages there and neither has an outlet. 

I've been storing there for 11 years and always assumed he did that on purpose to keep people from plugging in!  I could have been using a maintenance charger all this time.  I think this cures any issues I have.

That is good news. With your charging system and AGMs, you can leave it plugged in for months without fear of overcharging. And you don't have to lug those things out from between the frame rails!

Kev

Mile High said:
That would probably be easier to install and get to!  Seems odd that I would have to do that though.  Oh well, the new land of inverters that I'm not used to.
i have this one installed on the wall of the bed pedestal. I moved everything connoted to the house batteries under the bad in a utility area that's closed off. Everything connects here: Solar, house breakers, Magnum, etc., then through the 300A battery switch, then out to the batteries. Way cleaner install, no crap all over all the cabling, no clutter, and only two 4/0 cables on the batteries.

Can't help you on that remote, I'll have to look at the manual but somehow it knows that the power has disappeared .

Kevin Means said:
That is good news. With your charging system and AGMs, you can leave it plugged in for months without fear of overcharging. And you don't have to lug those things out from between the frame rails!

Kev
Would you plug the RV into the 110 or get a separate charger and connect to the coach battery jump posts provided in the LR cabinet?  If using the RV cord direct into the outlet, will it still charge with the coach and chassis disconnects off?

I would plug your shore power cord (with a 15/20 amp adapter of course) directly into the A/C socket. You have to leave your disconnect switches on, because if you turn them off while plugged into shore-power, your 12 volt systems will still work, but your charger won't charge. Our Tour's charging system will charge both the house and chassis batteries while on shore-power. I think you have the same setup.

I'd also recommend that the house batteries be fully charged (or close to it) when you put the coach in storage. The Magnum 2812 has a 150 amp charger and it's generating a fair amount of heat when when it's running full throttle (so to speak.) I don't know how many amps it's pulling (never paid attention) but if your A/C socket is on a long string of sockets, I'd be a little concerned about tripping a breaker at the facility.

Kev

Kevin Means said:
I would plug your shore power cord (with a 15/20 amp adapter of course) directly into the A/C socket. You have to leave your disconnect switches on, because if you turn them off while plugged into shore-power, your 12 volt systems will still work, but your charger won't charge. Our Tour's charging system will charge both the house and chassis batteries while on shore-power. I think you have the same setup.

I'd also recommend that the house batteries be fully charged (or close to it) when you put the coach in storage. The Magnum 2812 has a 150 amp charger and it's generating a fair amount of heat when when it's running full throttle (so to speak.) I don't know how many amps it's pulling (never paid attention) but if your A/C socket is on a long string of sockets, I'd be a little concerned about tripping a breaker at the facility.

Kev
Ya, tripping the breaker is what is worrying me as it probably powers several garages. I guess I can try it for a bit and see what happens.

Would love to!  We are grounded until wife gets a new heart.  Maybe next year.

Mile High said:
Would love to!  We are grounded until wife gets a new heart.  Maybe next year.

Nothing serious you understand. 

Yikes! Hope all comes out well.  I had quadruple open heart surgery four years ago and I'm really impressed with how the medical field has come along. It's really amazing what they can do for you. 

Yeah, that's certainly a good reason not to come. We completely understand. Our prayers and very best wishes are with all of you. On a positive note, a friend/retired DEA agent I know got a total heart transplant last year and it's truly remarkable how well he's doing. It's hard to believe he's the same guy. He takes a bunch of pills each day, but he could probably walk us all under the table. We'll see you next year. KOFA's not going anywhere.

Kev

Brad: without going back to look at your charger panel (but I think you have the mini) the ME-RC and ME-ARC have the capability to set the max AC current draw. I rarely take an external generator anymore, but can easily charge the coach on a 1000w generator. I simply set the panel to my shore supply and the Magnum manages the max draw through the inverter and charger together. If yours doesn't do that and you are hanging at friends houses, etc., with 15A service, you might consider upgrading the panel.
Now to go read up on that little panel...

(Later)....  Been reading. You do have control of max load on that panel..  Setup 01:Shore. Just matchnthe breaker and the load preset. Just be aware that calculation does not include fridge on AC, MW, or HVAC

Still the question is why you get a comm error? That panel is powered from the Magnum itself. Is there anything plugged in to the StackPort (Red) on the inverter?

PS- Just read your last comments.. Yikes.. hope everything turns out good. I have a friend that just went through the same and he's already back on his feet and starting to be the big ol' PITA he's always been :)
He's even talking about Quartzsite again :).

SCVJeff said:
Brad: without going back to look at your charger panel (but I think you have the mini) the ME-RC and ME-ARC have the capability to set the max AC current draw. I rarely take an external generator anymore, but can easily charge the coach on a 1000w generator. I simply set the panel to my shore supply and the Magnum manages the max draw through the inverter and charger together. If yours doesn't do that and you are hanging at friends houses, etc., with 15A service, you might consider upgrading the panel.
Now to go read up on that little panel...

(Later)....  Been reading. You do have control of max load on that panel..  Setup 01:Shore. Just matchnthe breaker and the load preset. Just be aware that calculation does not include fridge on AC, MW, or HVAC

Still the question is why you get a comm error? That panel is powered from the Magnum itself. Is there anything plugged in to the StackPort (Red) on the inverter?
I think the remote is actually plugged into the Stackport, but I'll have to look again.  I was thinking of trying to unplug it there.  That is super info on being able to control the max load!  Thank you.  I'm anxious to try it.

Thank you all for the kind words, prayers and well wishes for Dory!  Your experiences are good news, as it is consistent with what the hospital is saying. 

She is currently in the final stages of recovery from having an LVAD (left ventricular assist device) installed which involved open heart surgery to install the pump into the left ventricle and aorta, powered by a control system and batteries from the outside (her and my world revolves around batteries..........:) ).  She is on the transplant list with a pretty high priority because the LVAD is considered life support.  We get the MH out to go to local state parks, but we are pretty much restricted to 2 hours from home, waiting for the call.  Ironically, with all the back up systems on the MH (inverter, generator) she is safer in the MH than at home :)

Attachments

• 2291.jpeg
    2291.jpeg
    164.1 KB · Views: 9
Mile High said:
I think the remote is actually plugged into the Stackport, but I'll have to look again.  I was thinking of trying to unplug it there.  That is super info on being able to control the max load!  Thank you.  I'm anxious to try it.
Careful.. you might let all the smoke out. The panel should be plugged into the remote (Blue on the 2012) port only. does the inverter turn itself off when you kill the house batteries? If so you probably have a remote sense plugged into the stack port somewhere. magnum makes some cool little widgets for controlling the box, like a simple tiny switch to turn it on or off from bed, or another that you simply remove 12v and it shuts the inverter off. I installed that one, but think I'll install a timer that I can turn off the system for those who seem to think the TV is a nightlight when boondocking.  :mad:

Both switches on my coach are off but the light on my OBDll reader is lit.  I doubt that's a big draw, but I wonder what else might be drawing my chassis battery down.  I don't have an inverter. 

On Winnebago units the entry steps operate off the chassis bank, I think I remember reading about reports of something going wrong with steps that causes a constant current draw.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kstoybox
Back
Top Bottom