Winnebago Journey 2011 residential refer...how to run while traveling

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bsburns

I have my unit plugged into shore power, but how do I keep the refer running while traveling??

I found I did not need to worry about it. I always turned my propane off before driving and after a 6 to 8 hour trip everything was always still cold.

bsburns said:
I have my unit plugged into shore power, but how do I keep the refer running while traveling??

As long as you don't open the door while traveling, our stuff will stay cold.  Not sure about ice cream though. When I travel to FL, it takes me 2 1/2 days so what I do is run the fridge off a INverter. My truck keeps the one RV battery charged.

bsburns said:

You need an inverter big enough to handle the load of the refrigerator, and enough battery capacity to run the inverter. The alternator on the engine of the motorhome should charge the batteries while the engine is running.

Is the refrigerator factory installed?  If so, it likely already has the inverter included in the package.

If you find you need to power the refer, run the generator. It needs the regular exercise. If it is warm enough that you need to run the refer you probably need the house ac anyway!

What Lou said. If you've got a factory-installed residential refrigerator, you've also got an inverter. Our engine alternator has no trouble keeping up with the draw of our res-fridge/inverter while traveling. Just remember to turn the inverter on while you're traveling.

Kev

To make sure the inverter came on, open the fridge door and make sure the interior light still comes on with the shore power unplugged.  If not, you probably have to switch it on.  Mine has a switch in the command center, but from the brochure pictures yours is a different type.

bsburns said:
Just unplug and store the shore power cord and go. The last Winey I looked at had a separate true singe wave inverter for the residential refrigerator that was always on.
What does your owners Manuel say?
By the way welcome to the forum.
My installation uses the outlet that use to power my ice maker.
Bill

Mile High said:
To make sure the inverter came on, open the fridge door and make sure the interior light still comes on with the shore power unplugged.  If not, you probably have to switch it on.  Mine has a switch in the command center, but from the brochure pictures yours is a different type.
Actually, from this Ad for a 2011 Journey, its the same switch as mine  https://www.rvtrader.com/dealers/Colton-RV-752521/listing/2011-Winnebago-JOURNEY-40U---716-748-5730-122373445  If it is a factory fridge and inverter, the switch looks like this and can be turned on and off with the left button.  There were an option though, and the Journey Express did not offer the residential fridge.  There is the possibility that someone retrofitted in a compressor fridge to replace the absorbtion one.  Anyway, the factory fridge was a 3 door Whirlpool like shown in the ad.

Attachments

• inverter.JPG
    inverter.JPG
    225.8 KB · Views: 16
SeilerBird said:
I found I did not need to worry about it. I always turned my propane off before driving and after a 6 to 8 hour trip everything was always still cold.
It is a residential Refrigerator. It should run on the inverter just fine going down the road.
Bill

Mile High said:
Actually, from this Ad for a 2011 Journey, its the same switch as mine  https://www.rvtrader.com/dealers/Colton-RV-752521/listing/2011-Winnebago-JOURNEY-40U---716-748-5730-122373445  If it is a factory fridge and inverter, the switch looks like this and can be turned on and off with the left button.  There were an option though, and the Journey Express did not offer the residential fridge.  There is the possibility that someone retrofitted in a compressor fridge to replace the absorbtion one.  Anyway, the factory fridge was a 3 door Whirlpool like shown in the ad.
I leave my inverter on all the time. I haven't turned my refrigerator off since I installed it 5 mounts ago.
Bill

WILDEBILL308 said:
I leave my inverter on all the time. I haven't turned my refrigerator off since I installed it 5 mounts ago.
Bill
Ya, that works for folks that can plug in for storage or full time.  The rest of us have to go cold and dark when not on vacation :)

John Canfield said:
Any chance of using solar panels?
It's possible.  I would have to talk to the owner to see if I could mount them on the roof or wall of the garage.  If I set them on the ground outside the door it would mess up his periodic maintenance.  Risk of theft I imagine as well.  If I could get them on the back wall outside up high, it would work.

I bet it would take a few watts to keep that refrigerator running.

It might be cheaper to cut a deal with the owner to plug your RV into an electric outlet or extend the electric service to your space.

Lou Schneider said:
It might be cheaper to cut a deal with the owner to plug your RV into an electric outlet or extend the electric service to your space.
New news.  My daughter has the garage next door and she just told me last night she has an outlet in hers (haha - the things you just never think to ask).  She was surprised I didn't have one so you are exactly right, I'm going to ask for one even if I pay to install it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
freetoroam
Back
Top Bottom