Sewer Hoses

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

grashley

After reviewing posts on this topic and relying on my memory  ::) , I have a few questions.

I have not taken delivery of the FW yet.  Is it safe or wise to buy sewer hoses now?  It comes with none, per seller.  Since it was raining the entire time we were at the camper, I did not get a good look at the sewer end connections.  I understand these are all standardized today, except for a couple expensive setups.

I propose:    Camco RhinoFlex
Camco 39572 Clear 5 in Adaptor  $8.52 https://www.rvupgradestore.com/Camco-5-Clear-Sewer-Hose-Adapter-p/89-8340.htm
Camco 39761 15ft 23 mil sewer hose $29 https://www.rvupgradestore.com/rhinoflex-sewer-hose-p/88-0126.htm
Camco 39764 10 FT EXTENSION $20 https://www.rvupgradestore.com/RhinoFLEX-Sewer-Hose-10-p/88-1158.htm

Do I also need replacement "O" rings? 
With that 4 in 1 end for the sewer hose kit, do I still need donuts?

Any comments about RV Upgrades?  I know they are a site sponsor.

I have bought expensive hoses and cheap hoses and in the Florida sun both lasted about a year.  The connectors are all standard. I would not buy the extension until you really need it. They are usually available at any Walmart.

I have bought from RVupgrades and was pleased with their prices and service.  As with anything it pays to shop around.

Rhino hoses are great,, I've had mine for 12 years and still no leaks or problems,,love it being 5 feet when collapsed and 15 feet extended.>>>Dan

The only thing I would recommend is a 45 degree clear adapter instead of the straight one. It may put less strain on your hose. Not a big deal though.

The 4-1 dump port adapters are good when you have a threaded port to connect to but you might still need a donut for non-threaded ports. Some parks require them. I also carry a sealed Tyvec bag partially filled with dry sand that I use to weigh down the connection for non-threaded hook-ups.

The first item isn't a must have. The second item will let you dump. The third item is a replacement hose with no fittings included.  If you are going from park to park you probably dont need much more but if you want a little insurance buy another section of 10 or 15 ft hose. The more you travel and the more you vary your camping style the more chance you have of needing more hose. Other things that I have are a box of gloves, an extra drain cap, gaskets, sewer hose bag. I have the bag so I can store extra fittings and stuff but my sewer hoses are stored in a gutter tray.

I mounted  a piece of vinyl fence post from side to side in front of my axle and near the drain fitting. I stuff the hose into a section of vinyl house gutter and slide it into the fence post. I use end caps on the hoses but also drilled holes in the gutter so any residual water can escape or make for easy cleaning. Each end of the fence post just has a bolt and clip to keep it secure and leave it vented from end to end.

After that we would have to talk about blue tanks, double female fittings and macerates.

In my fresh water bag kits I have about 100  ft of various water hose, pressure regulator, replacement hose washers, spray nozzle and used to have an inline filter but now have two whole house type filters and a pressure tank.

It seems the CLEAR (Polycarbonate) 45 deg elbows are bayonet on one end and ?? ready to attach to a hose ?? on the other end.  Is the end fitting on the Rhino hose removable? do I simply swap end fittings?

Thanks for the sand bag reminder.

QZ, you are correct on the hose.  I clicked on the wrong one to copy.

I live your storage idea.  Please elaborate on how you "close" the end to prevent losing your hose.

The clear 45 should have standard male lugs and female tabs that match the existing hose ends. In other words, it's a really short fixed angle clear "hose". ;)

The Rhino uses Valterra-style bayonet fittings (male on one end female on the other). That's been the standard connector for 30 years now. some new stuff has been created, but most of it is designed to couple to the bayonet connectors.  However, it's no big deal to replace one if you want to try some ersatz connector system.

Rhino kits come with two end plugs, one for a male bayonet and one for female. You can see them in the picture of the 15 ft hose kit.

I would also add one of these. It serves two purposes. It's a backup valve in case one of your drain valves starts leaking a little and you can transfer water from your gray water tank to your black tank if needed.

https://www.amazon.com/Valterra-T58-Twist-On-Waste-Valve/dp/B000BGHYJS/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1507582596&sr=8-1&keywords=rv+sewer+valve

LOL! It's not an RV unless it has 50# of poop equipment onboard. My advice is to buy a hose kit with the standard ends and then wait and see if you need more.. No need to rush out and buy everybody's favorite piece of gear - you will go bankrupt and be overweight besides.

grashley said:
It seems the CLEAR (Polycarbonate) 45 deg elbows are bayonet on one end and ?? ready to attach to a hose ?? on the other end.  Is the end fitting on the Rhino hose removable? do I simply swap end fittings?

Thanks for the sand bag reminder.

QZ, you are correct on the hose.  I clicked on the wrong one to copy.

I live your storage idea.  Please elaborate on how you "close" the end to prevent losing your hose.

Passengers end has 1" x 3/8" or so vinyl lumber screwed in place. Every year or so I spray it with $1 Home Depot flat black.

Attachments

• IMG_1536.JPG
    IMG_1536.JPG
    214.8 KB · Views: 40
  • IMG_1537.JPG
    IMG_1537.JPG
    155.8 KB · Views: 39
  • IMG_1539.JPG
    IMG_1539.JPG
    123.8 KB · Views: 36
Sounds like a good system.. I would pick up a set of replacement O Rings just to be sure..

Best way to insure you do not need 'em is to have spares on hand after all :).

I have a Valterra Dominator, and a Rhino. Personally, I like the Valterra better. I understand Thetford has started marketing a new hose. I have no experience with it, but it looks pretty good in their ads.

I carry three hoses.  5', 10' and 15'.  I have been in situations where all three were barely enough and where 5' was too much.  As a FYI, depending our your storage space. plastic rain gutter provides a good support for the hose and is cheap and easy to cut to length.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
traxster
Back
Top Bottom