Winterizing Problem

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Heli_av8tor

First time winterizing and not sure what is happening. Hope I'm just doing something wrong, but I suspect the check valve on the water heater may be bad. Though there's been no signs of that in use.

I opened all low point drains and drained the water heater. Then I blew compressed air into the water heater, and city water hook up. I closed all valves and set the water heater bypass to "bypass". I left the WH plug out.

I have a winterizing valve at the water pump and used it to draw antifreeze from a gallon jug. It sucked in 1-3/4 gallons without building enough pressure to shut off. Then antifreeze started coming out the WH drain. I put the plug in and started a fresh gallon with no signs of slowing down. I'm sure the WH tank is filling up.

Suggestions?

Attachments

• IMG_0351.JPG
    IMG_0351.JPG
    91.8 KB · Views: 41
  • IMG_0352.JPG
    IMG_0352.JPG
    104.1 KB · Views: 41
I would say that the check valve is bad on the hot side. There may also be one on the cold side but that one would not cause your problem. Is that the backside of your heater in the picture?  I've never seen one with the hot and cold fittings so close to each other.
Put the valve in bypass and try to blow air through the lines. If you get air out of the heater drain, it's the check valve. Try tapping it with a hammer. It may seat temporarily but it would still need to be replaced next spring or now.

The picture is looking forward in the compartment immediately behind the WH. The WH connections are on the back of the heater.

Thanks for the tip on testing the check valve.

It has flex hoses connecting the WH to the PEX. I had to replace these last spring right after I got the coach. Access is a hinged door under the coach about 5" x 16". Can only get one arm in at a time and stubby wrenches rule. Whoever designed this should be strung up. I dread getting started...

Tom

I pressurized the hot side by putting a blow nozzle on a low-point drain and air flowed the wrong way through the check valve escaping through the WH pop-off valve.

This valve is connected to the PEX tubing on one side and a flex hose to the WH on the other. I was able to get the flex hose off and operate the plunger of the valve manually. After popping it a few times it held pressure. So I reassembled and the system works fine.

Must have been a piece of crud stuck in it.

Heli_av8tor said:
So I reassembled and the system works fine.

Must have been a piece of crud stuck in it.

You may find that it will fail again. I would attempt to change it before you start camping again.

You may be right but I?m going to chance it. I couldn?t get enough leverage to unscrew the fittings. If it fails I?ll have to find a way.

Heli_av8tor said:
You may be right but I?m going to chance it. I couldn?t get enough leverage to unscrew the fittings. If it fails I?ll have to find a way.

You know if it happens again, it will be at a time when it's least expected.  It will happen when you're using the rig. One thing for sure, it won't happen when you're not using it.  :eek: ::) ;)

Back
Top Bottom