Looking for new tires for my Ram 1500

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

henkelphoto

Hi guys!

As stated above, I'm looking for new tires for my 2wd Ram 1500 and need some advice. This is my daily driver and most of my driving is on dry pavement (I live in Las Vegas), but I also do some driving on the dirt roads in the area and this is my primary tow vehicle.

Because of the driving off pavement, I'm looking for an all-terrain tire, and since we have sharp rocks here, my first choice would be the BF Goodrich KO2 AT tire.

My only concern is that it has a "c" rating not "e". Now my trailer is a small one at about 22' from hitch to bumper with a GVW of 4500 lbs. A guy at Tire Rack says that the "c" rating will be no problem, but like trailer salesmen, he's out to make a sale.

So my question is, am I safe towing my 4500b trailer with a "c" rated tire?

Look at the placard to get the gross rear axle rating.  Divide by 2 (tires).  Each tire must have a max load rating of at least this much.  If the ones coming off were E rated, then you really need E rating on the replacements.

If you really want to go cheap, find the curb wt on the rear axle, add 500# for the camper plus the weight of anything else you might have in the bed.    Add 1/2 the weight of all passengers (split between front and back).  Will the C rated tire cary at least this much weight?

I have used The BFGoodrich KO2 tire on my 2009 Dodge Ram and have been very happy with it but they are a bit nosy. So the last time I needed tires, I opted for the BFGoodrich Rugged Terrain and I have bee very happy with them too.  They are a bit quieter and less expensive.  I do a bit of rough off road  when I am elk hunting and they seem to stand up sharp rocks OK.

Try the Cooper AT3 descovery  or the zeon I've had 4 sets of coopers now on 3 different trucks and i cant say enough good about them - i will put them on my dually when needed too, they are not tooo agressive so that you get a lot of road noise but great in mud and snow have a giant weight rating and last forever at a great price

Cooper all the way is my vote

Back
Top Bottom