Part ordering

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Amac16

Looking for some help, I have a 2005 Coachman Freelander on a Ford E450 chassis. My question is: can I just order parts as though it was a normal E450 van for example the shocks and brakes or do I have to order something more heavy duty? Probably dumb question but want to make sure, thanks in advance.

I would say, for the most part, just identifying the vehicle as a Ford E450 will get you the proper part. A more specific definition would be a Ford E450 on a cutaway chassis.  Some parts, such as shocks, will have a separate part listing for the cutaway chassis.  If you can, take the old part with you when you?re purchasing a new part.  If ordering online, try to utilize a retailer who provides a picture of the part.  When I replaced the power steering pump on my older E350 it turned out the pump was actually one specified for use on Ford diesels.  So, a little caution would be in order when replacing parts.  By the way, I use RockAuto.com to purchase parts as they have actual photos of the parts they sell and list the cutaway chassis in their vehicle identification chart.

Short answer is "No".  The van cutaway chassis is a specific configuration that is not necessarily the same as a passenger or tradesman van package, plus the RV builder can spec options. Typically belts, alternators, cooling packages, etc are somewhat different. Sometimes axles and brakes too.  If you ask for standard van parts, you are likely to get frustrated with returns.

It's Murphy's Law - the part YOU need will be one of the unique ones. Most of the rest will match up fine.

It is a good question! The answer is yes and no. Some parts are common with standard trucks and some are specific to your cut away chassis. It takes a bit of research to assure you are buying the right parts.

The VIN will decode exactly which chassis you have. If the part you are ordering does not specifically name your chassis as a fit, keep looking.

I installed a set of Bilstein shocks on my rig this spring. Standard listings on Ebay, Amazon, Advance Auto, ect listed several different part numbers as replacements. It was confusing. I decoded my VIN to identify my platform, went direct to the Bilstein website for the correct part numbers for my cutaway chassis then sourced the parts.

My local NAPA has counter guys experienced with heavy chassis. Most other parts stores have clueless counter people.

Back
Top Bottom