EPDM Coatings
rvupgradestore.com Composet Products Custom Yacht Interiors

Author Topic: North SF Bay devastating fires  (Read 2303 times)

Tom

• Administrator
  • ---
    • RV Forum web site
North SF Bay devastating fires
« on: October 09, 2017, 07:14:51 PM »
Horrendous fires erupted overnight in a number of North SF Bay towns and communities. Entire communities evacuated, countless homes and other structures burned to the ground. High winds and low humidity combined to create a fire storm. Emergency services focused on saving lives, not structures. Deployment of air resources (water and fire retardant tankers) delayed due to low visibility from all the smoke.

Affected towns (so far) include Napa, Petaluma, Santa Rosa, Calistoga. Smoke covers a large part of the Bay area. Fires spread easily by winds carrying hot embers.

A couple of hospitals and a couple of hotels, in addition to strip malls and large retail stores were lost. Also, the prestigious Silverado golf resort was torched. Localized fires still burning, not helped by gas spewing from gas lines. Haven't heard about fires at the 300 or so wineries/vinyards in the Napa Valley. They expect fire fighting resources from all over California to converge by this evening.

Haven't heard from friends in the area. Not surprising because cell service has been seriously disrupted.

4 wildfires currently burning, with 0% containment. 1500 (min) homes burned. 10 people died, and many folks injured. Expect these numbers to rise.

Edit: Authorities still searching for folks who weren't able to evacuate.

Looting is going on, and police/CHP and Sheriff's department are arresting them.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2017, 07:39:21 PM by Tom »
Tom.  Need help? Click the Help button in the toolbar above.

SeilerBird

• ---
  • Everything I state is my opinion.
Re: North SF Bay devastating fires
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2017, 07:32:23 PM »
Huge economic problem. All those grapes going up in smoke.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2017, 10:52:19 PM by SeilerBird »
I would like to apologize to anyone I have not yet offended. Please be patient and I will get to you shortly.
My new Pixel camera:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/rMSw5eVkCfKuuEOP2
My portfolio:
https://goo.gl/photos/Cx4SaYhGfYFShSty7
My Grand Canyon shots:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/Nc1AT8tQp25wJwfm1

Tom

• Administrator
  • ---
    • RV Forum web site
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2017, 07:35:10 PM »
That's in the pot growing capitol of the world.

I wouldn't know, but thought it was the Santa Cruz mountains  ???

Tom and Margi

• ---
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2017, 07:39:08 PM »
Unbelievable and horrendous!  We lived in Petaluma and then Sebastopol from 1976 to 1989.  I can never remember a horrible conflagaration such as this.  My nephew (San Jose FD) and my niece-in-law (SFFD) were close to evacuation this morning but wind change save their house in the Monticito area --- for now.  Her parents are being evacuated right now from an area between Santa Rosa and Sonoma Valley.  50 mph winds have spread or are spreading embers from Sebastopol area to the Napa Valley Wine Country.  Just horrible!  1500 homes burned so far and many business also. 
« Last Edit: October 09, 2017, 07:53:21 PM by Tom and Margi »

Tom and Margi

• ---
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2017, 07:40:23 PM »
One could get stoned just walking around outside up there.  That's in the pot growing capitol of the world. :o

This is urban Santa Rosa.  I think you're referring to the hills of Mendocino County.  Check your facts before your pop off, please!

Tom

• Administrator
  • ---
    • RV Forum web site
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2017, 07:40:57 PM »
Margi, I hope your family stays safe!

Tom

• Administrator
  • ---
    • RV Forum web site
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2017, 07:50:20 PM »
These are times when I wish we had concrete (or terra cotta) tiles on the roof, as we had at our prior home. When we re-roofed here, the structure wasn't sufficient to take concrete tiles, so we went with a "fire resistant" composite tile.

Every July 4th I cringe when folks (illegally) set off fireworks in our community. Two years ago, the whole neighborhood heard me bellowing from our rear deck "fireworks are illegal and, unless you shut it down, I'll call the Sheriff". (I have a very loud voice and, on the rare occasions I 'bellow', everyone hears.) The nearby fireworks ceased. Celebrating the holiday is one thing, but risking a fire in our community is another.

Tom and Margi

• ---
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2017, 07:50:46 PM »
Margi, I hope your family stays safe!

Me, too, Tom.  Sonoma and Napa Counties are such a combination of small urban cities surrounded by wild, rural country.  Throw in the foothills and mountainous areas and it puts a real strain on firefighting efforts when these strong winds blow.  Wineries have been lost, two hospitals have been evacuated, care homes have been evacuated.  Santa Rosa Hilton burned to the ground, KMart burned, a McDonalds and an Applebee's burned.  The final toll when this is over will be devastating.

Wi1dBill

• ---
« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2017, 07:59:22 PM »
We have family that live south of Santa Rosa about 25 to 30 miles in Novato... Visited a couple years ago and they need water then.  Not a good situation!

One major disaster after another.... maybe the world is coming to the end!

Wi1dBi11

SeilerBird

• ---
« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2017, 08:21:22 PM »
Trust me.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2017, 10:51:32 PM by SeilerBird »
I would like to apologize to anyone I have not yet offended. Please be patient and I will get to you shortly.
My new Pixel camera:
My portfolio:
My Grand Canyon shots:

Tom

• Administrator
  • ---
    • RV Forum web site
« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2017, 08:25:31 PM »
Quote from: Wi1dBill
We have family that live south of Santa Rosa ...

Bill, I sincerely hope your family is safe.

Lou Schneider

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2017, 08:37:53 PM »
I'm very familiar with that area, 30 years ago I worked in Santa Rosa and lived in a mobile home about 5 miles north of the devastation in Windsor.

San Francisco television stations have had nonstop coverage all day.  I'm in Pahrump and have been watching them online via the Mobley.

In area, these fires are more than 30 times larger than the size of the fire that devastated the Oakland hills and came down into Oakland and Berkeley in 1991, although so far only about half as many structures have burned.

But with 57,000 acres (89 square miles) burned and 0 percent containment things are far from over.

BTW, there are a few vineyards in the area that have been converted to cannabis, but the biggest loser is this year's grape harvest, especially in the Napa valley.  Several premium vineyards have burned, the harvest was just starting in the rest so there are a lot of grapes still on the vine that have likely suffered smoke damage.

There were 14 fires that started Sunday night stretching from the Redwood Valley north of Ukiah down through the hills surrounding the Sonoma and Napa valleys.  Hwy 37 along the north edge of San Francisco Bay is currently closed because of a fire burning in the hills behind Sears Point Raceway.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2017, 09:43:18 PM by Lou Schneider »

Tom

• Administrator
  • ---
    • RV Forum web site
« Reply #12 on: October 09, 2017, 08:39:04 PM »
Quote from: SeilerBird
All of northern California is called the Emerald Triangle because of the massive quantities of pot grown up there. All the way from Monterey to Canada actually.

According to this Wikipedia article, the Emerald Triangle comprises Mendocino County, Humboldt County and Trinity County. Nowt to do with the North Bay counties affected by these fires. As Margi suggests, it looks like you might need to check some facts  ;)
« Last Edit: October 09, 2017, 09:14:03 PM by Tom »

Sun2Retire

• Photo moderator
  • ---
« Reply #13 on: October 09, 2017, 08:44:21 PM »
Tom,

I used to live on St Helena Rd in N Santa Rosa (my favorite place ever!). Where are the fires?
Scott
2005 Newmar Dutch Star 3810, Spartan, Cat C7 350 "OURVEE"
Eezrv TPMS, VMSpc, 800W Solar
2002 Dodge RAM 1500 Quad Cab "RTOAD"
Stowmaster towbar & Brakemaster

TonyDtorch

• ---
« Reply #14 on: October 09, 2017, 08:48:50 PM »
Tom
I just watched 5 houses burn to the ground here in Anaheim,   all of them had Terra Cota tile roofs..once those embers get blown into the attic vents it's over. 

« Last Edit: October 09, 2017, 08:53:56 PM by TonyDtorch »

Lou Schneider

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #15 on: October 09, 2017, 08:53:24 PM »
I used to live on St Helena Rd in N Santa Rosa (my favorite place ever!). Where are the fires?

The Tubbs fire started near Calistoga around 10 PM Sunday night, then winds gusting to 50 - 80 mph blew it southwest into Santa Rosa through the hills around Mark Springs Rd.  Before dawn it blew through the Fountaingrove area, then jumped Hwy 101 and burned a couple of shopping centers and devistated the Coffey Park area on the northwest side of town.

As of right now, the northern half of Santa Rosa is under mandatory evacuation and dusk to dawn curfews:

http://www.latimes.com/local/california/la-northern-california-fires-live-another-5-000-buildings-added-in-1507582218-htmlstory.html

More detailed coverage is at the Santa Rosa Press Democrat's site: pressdemocrat.com

And this is only one of 14 fires burning in the area.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2017, 09:17:52 PM by Lou Schneider »

Tom

• Administrator
  • ---
    • RV Forum web site
« Reply #16 on: October 09, 2017, 09:01:56 PM »
Quote from: TonyDtorch
...once those embers get blown into the attic vents it's over.

No disagreement Tony but, hot embers lading landing on a tile or terra cotta roof will be less likely to ignite a fire than, say, on a wood shake roof.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2017, 01:59:13 AM by Tom »

Tom

• Administrator
  • ---
    • RV Forum web site
« Reply #17 on: October 09, 2017, 09:08:09 PM »
Quote from: Sun2Retire
Where are the fires?

Try a Google search on 'North Bay fires'.

SeilerBird

• ---
« Reply #18 on: October 09, 2017, 09:44:31 PM »
Hope it doesn't go near Santa Cruz.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2017, 10:51:02 PM by SeilerBird »
My new Pixel camera:
My portfolio:
My Grand Canyon shots:

Tom and Margi

• ---
« Reply #19 on: October 09, 2017, 09:46:18 PM »
Are you kidding me? All of northern California is called the Emerald Triangle because of the massive quantities of pot grown up there. All the way from Monterey to Canada actually. It is just that it is grown in secret and you can't see it. But it is there. Trust me.

Well, I wouldn't know about that, Tom, but I'm sure you're an expert, so I'll bow to your knowledge.  There are also multitudes of hard working, upstanding citizens living in that area who are losing their homes by the thousands.  And all you can focus on is pot?  Forgive me if my focus and caring are elsewhere at this time.

SeilerBird

• ---
« Reply #20 on: October 09, 2017, 09:47:50 PM »
So sad.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2017, 10:50:11 PM by SeilerBird »
My new Pixel camera:
My portfolio:
My Grand Canyon shots:

SeilerBird

• ---
« Reply #21 on: October 09, 2017, 10:13:19 PM »
Ten people have died in the fires so far.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2017, 10:49:52 PM by SeilerBird »
My new Pixel camera:
My portfolio:
My Grand Canyon shots:

Tom and Margi

• ---
« Reply #22 on: October 09, 2017, 10:13:32 PM »
No ... you lighten up.   When crises of this magnitude are happening, cheap jokes are just that.  Cheap.  Someone of your sensibility who has the artistry to take such expressive pictures needn't take refuge in cheap jokes.  Sorry to be so emotional myself, but I spent many, many years in this area.  My husband and I raised our children here and to see it so devastated hurts more than I can even describe.

Tom and Margi

• ---
« Reply #23 on: October 09, 2017, 10:19:06 PM »
Here is a video of a typical NorCal greenhouse, of which there are thousands in the forests.

What part of "in the forests" do you not get?  This has nothing to do with the area currently undergoing this devastating fire!  I'm getting so sick and tired of all of California being colored unnecessarily by the same crayon.

Sun2Retire

• Photo moderator
  • ---
« Reply #24 on: October 09, 2017, 10:24:19 PM »
I spent many, many years in this area.  My husband and I raised our children here and to see it so devastated hurts more than I can even describe.

Yup. Born and raised in CA. I used to fly into Santa Rosa from Boonville when I was a Private Pilot. My girls were born in Santa Rosa just outside the evacuation zone. This is personal for many of us. This thread was started by our Admin to discuss a specific issue. Let my post be the last one mentioning anything other than the original intent.
Scott

Tom

• Administrator
  • ---
    • RV Forum web site
« Reply #25 on: October 10, 2017, 01:34:34 AM »
Interesting that several message were mysteriously and significantly changed.

DonTom

• ---
« Reply #26 on: October 10, 2017, 02:32:11 AM »
Horrendous fires erupted overnight in a number of North SF Bay towns and communities.
A know a couple from Santa Rosa whose house burnt to the ground and they lost just about everything in it.  So I am letting them stay here in Auburn with me. They got here late Monday afternoon.

They say it is dark there during the day and very difficult to breathe. Most of  the business there are closed, but all the motels are packed full. Many roads were closed.

Also their doggy is here. A big fat Alaskan Malamute.

-Don-  Auburn, CA
« Last Edit: October 10, 2017, 02:36:19 AM by DonTom »
-Don-   AA6GA

2000 Fleetwood Tioga 24D, 7.4L

Eight motorcycles:
Original owner of:
1971 BMW R75/5
1984 Yamaha Venture
2002 Suzuki DR200SE
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2016 Versys 650 LT
2016 Moto Guzzi Stelvio
2017 Zero DS ZF6.5
2017 Zero SR 13 w/pwr tank

Tom

• Administrator
  • ---
    • RV Forum web site
« Reply #27 on: October 10, 2017, 06:56:47 AM »
Don, sorry about your friends' place, but glad they have a friend like you. We just hope our friends are OK and, if they need a place, they'd be welcome to stay here.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2017, 09:17:45 AM by Tom »

Sun2Retire

• Photo moderator
  • ---
« Reply #28 on: October 10, 2017, 08:59:37 AM »
Was just reading Press Democrat; both the Fountaingrove Inn and round barn were destroyed. Almost certainly all of the redwoods lining 101, planted probably 75+ years ago, are gone as well. The hospital where my daughters were born (Kaiser) has been evacuated and partially damaged. We were living there when that hospital was built   :(
« Last Edit: October 10, 2017, 09:35:42 AM by Sun2Retire »
Scott

Willandgiselarv

• ---
« Reply #29 on: October 10, 2017, 09:23:36 AM »
Terrible, now that Atlas Fire is close to Fairfield and looks bad with all the smoke.
They already asked for some of us to evacuate.
Terrible.
2004 GB. Bellagio 38ft  3126E Allison 3060
2015 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk

Tom

• Administrator
  • ---
    • RV Forum web site
« Reply #30 on: October 10, 2017, 10:22:58 AM »
Sorry to hear that Will. I just heard a little about the Atlas fire on local TV news, but didn't catch how it was threatening Fairfield. Stay safe!

Tom and Margi

• ---
« Reply #31 on: October 10, 2017, 11:16:12 AM »
Interesting that several message were mysteriously and significantly changed.

Ha!  I noticed that, too.

Tom

• Administrator
  • ---
    • RV Forum web site
« Reply #32 on: October 10, 2017, 12:10:45 PM »
Good news - just heard that 3 couples (friends) are safe and their homes intact. Haven't heard from/about a foruth couple.

UTTransplant

• ---
  • Salt Lake City area
« Reply #33 on: October 10, 2017, 12:59:24 PM »
I woke up yesterday to a Facebook "check in" message from a friend in Petaluma. I knew then that this was a major disaster. Facebook only activates the "Check In" system when a lot of people are affected. Luckily my friend is ok but what a disaster in the surrounding  area. We spent a few days in the area before continuing to the Yosemite rally, so my memories of the area are fresh. We are in a campground without any cell service so I can only catch up when we come into town like today (laundry).

And I am glad I missed the I corrected posts. People are dying, an economy is going to be in dire straits for years. We need accurate information, not justifications about marijuana.
Pam and Kevin plus Minou and Lily (the cats) plus Lexi (the grand-dog)
2014 Outdoors RV Timber Ridge 240RKS
2015 Ram 2500 Diesel
http://toobusyforwork.com

workingtorv

• ---
« Reply #34 on: October 10, 2017, 01:15:55 PM »
To all those who are affected in a personal way I am very sorry for your friends and family who have lost their homes or who are in danger.

Even though I am not personally affected it brings tears to my eyes 💭 thinking of the devastation and the thoughts of how frightening this is.

2004 Georgie Boy Pursuit
2008 Saturn AuraXR
Ontario, Canada

Willandgiselarv

• ---
« Reply #35 on: October 10, 2017, 01:45:00 PM »
Sorry to hear that Will. I just heard a little about the Atlas fire on local TV news, but didn't catch how it was threatening Fairfield. Stay safe!
Thanks Tom, just packing some stuff , wife and pets going to parents house in SF.
Mandatory evac in Green Valley.

Tom

• Administrator
  • ---
    • RV Forum web site
« Reply #36 on: October 11, 2017, 09:50:02 AM »
The fires continue to spread, and containment is still either 0% or very close to it. Yesterday's drop in winds, temperatures and increased humidity was short lived. The confirmed death toll, acreage burned and number of homes/structured destroyed continue to rise. 22,000 people evacuated, 5,000 in temporary/makeshift shelters. Affected area now 115,000 acres, and more areas under mandatory evacuations today. Widespread power outages (affecting folks who's homes survived), and cell towers down.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2017, 12:10:06 PM by Tom »

Tom

• Administrator
  • ---
    • RV Forum web site
« Reply #37 on: October 11, 2017, 09:51:00 AM »
Quote from: Willandgiselarv
...just packing some stuff ...

Hope that Will and his family are safe.

Sun2Retire

• Photo moderator
  • ---
« Reply #38 on: October 11, 2017, 10:18:53 AM »
The fires continue to spread, and containment is still either 0% or very close to it. Yesterday's drop in winds, temperatures and humidity was short lived. The confirmed death toll, acreage burned and number of homes/structured destroyed continue to rise. 22,000 people evacuated, 5,000 in temporary/makeshift shelters. Affected area now 115,000 acres, and more areas under mandatory evacuations today. Widespread power outages (affecting folks who's homes survived), and cell towers down.

Having lived on St Helena Rd to the NE, I could understand how that area could be threatened by a fire coming over the hill (it appears my old house is untouched for now). What is hard to fathom though is the urban destruction - large areas largely paved with a few decorative trees where buildings burned to the ground - KMart for example. Itís hard to imagine the intensity required, really gut wrenching.
Scott

Tom

• Administrator
  • ---
    • RV Forum web site
« Reply #39 on: October 11, 2017, 11:35:55 AM »
Aye Scott, it was the result of very high winds, coupled with the very low humidity.

Tom

• Administrator
  • ---
    • RV Forum web site
« Reply #40 on: October 11, 2017, 12:41:37 PM »
New estimate - 3,500 homes/structures destroyed.

Sun2Retire

• Photo moderator
  • ---
« Reply #41 on: October 11, 2017, 01:12:54 PM »

Unbelievable. Iíve seen a few small aerials but Iím certain they donít begin to relate the full extent of the devastation. Just trying to imagine puts me at a loss for words
Scott

jackiemac

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #42 on: October 11, 2017, 01:27:51 PM »
So sad for everyone involved. Nature is a monster sometimes.
Jackie n Steve - Happy Scottish Travellers

2017 Heartland Sundance 288rls
2016 Dodge Ram 2500 6.4L Hemi

Home in Scotland eagerly awaiting next trip!

Tom

• Administrator
  • ---
    • RV Forum web site
« Reply #43 on: October 11, 2017, 01:28:27 PM »
Aye Scott, they can't do any real structure counts at this time, so only estimates.

To the north, the town of Calistoga is burning. Unknown number of the 400 wineries in the Napa Valley destroyed. To the southeast, they're starting to get concerned that fires will spread to Fairfield. Mind boggling.

Smoke is bad all across the Bay area, even out here on the CA Delta. Yesterday, I was called to the podium to lead the singing at our retired guys club; When I opened my mouth, I realized I was having breathing issues, my throat felt like a rasp, and I had trouble hitting notes. Can't being to imagine what the smoke is like nearer the burn areas.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2017, 01:31:54 PM by Tom »

Sun2Retire

• Photo moderator
  • ---
« Reply #44 on: October 11, 2017, 01:38:39 PM »
the town of Calistoga is burning.

How awful. Such a quaint, historic town. Took a driving vacation through there a few years ago and used to fly in to the airport when I was in high school. Wouldnít take a lot to wipe out the entire town
Scott

Tom

• Administrator
  • ---
    • RV Forum web site
« Reply #45 on: October 11, 2017, 01:48:56 PM »
Currently committed resources:

73 helicopters
30 air tankers
550 fire engines
8,000 firefighters
700 National Guard

With all of these resources, they're still having a tough time fighting and getting ahead of the fires. More resources have been requested from outside the area and outside the state.

Roy M

• ---
« Reply #46 on: October 11, 2017, 02:04:34 PM »
My heart goes out to all affected, we went through that this summer. :(

Lou Schneider

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #47 on: October 11, 2017, 04:20:08 PM »
Smoke is bad all across the Bay area, even out here on the CA Delta. Yesterday, I was called to the podium to lead the singing at our retired guys club; When I opened my mouth, I realized I was having breathing issues, my throat felt like a rasp, and I had trouble hitting notes. Can't being to imagine what the smoke is like nearer the burn areas.

The Bay Area Air Quality Management District says the air quality in many parts of the Bay Area is the worst they've ever seen.  A spokesman says it's similar to what you'd get on a bad day in Beijing:

http://www.mercurynews.com/2017/10/10/smoke-advisory-from-wildfires-extended-another-day-in-bay-area/
« Last Edit: October 11, 2017, 04:23:34 PM by Lou Schneider »

ArdraF

• ---
« Reply #48 on: October 11, 2017, 06:10:45 PM »
Jerry's cousin lives in an older subdivision just south of the College Ave. area west of 101.  It's near the south edge of the evacuation area.  Last night they said they were okay and the wind was supposed to calm.  Their son lives in Sonoma and we attended his wedding reception last year at the Round Barn.  It's so sad to hear that's destroyed.  It was a neat venue.

ArdraF
ArdraF
:D :D

dave54

• ---
  • Old guy. Loves being outdoors
« Reply #49 on: October 11, 2017, 06:13:57 PM »

Not all structures are homes.  Garages, outbuildings, etc are in that total.  The actual count and damage assessment will come later.  Still a tragedy for those involved.
I never get lost.  I just have unplanned adventures.

Tom and Margi

• ---
« Reply #50 on: October 11, 2017, 06:24:06 PM »
Just heard from a friend in Santa Rosa that the winds are picking up again.  This is not over yet.  Breaks my heart every time I check http://www.pressdemocrat.com/ and see how complete the devastation is in so many areas.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2017, 06:26:14 PM by Tom and Margi »

QZ

• ---
« Reply #51 on: October 11, 2017, 06:27:42 PM »
News just said that there are hundreds of missing people.

Tom

• Administrator
  • ---
    • RV Forum web site
« Reply #52 on: October 11, 2017, 06:30:24 PM »
Quote from: dave54
Not all structures are homes.  Garages, outbuildings, etc are in that total.

Yes, and so are strip malls, big box stores, hotels and others. 

The actual count and damage assessment will come later.  Still a tragedy for those involved.

Agreed, and that's why I said:

... they can't do any real structure counts at this time, so only estimates.

Tom

• Administrator
  • ---
    • RV Forum web site
« Reply #53 on: October 11, 2017, 06:33:09 PM »
Quote from: QZ
News just said that there are hundreds of missing people.

That number has been jumping around for the last 24 hours. They have a number for those who have been reported 'missing', another number for those found, and a big percentage of the remainder are expected to be safe, but not yet reported as such. They've been asking folks all day to report themselves as safe.

Tom

• Administrator
  • ---
    • RV Forum web site
« Reply #54 on: October 11, 2017, 06:34:28 PM »
Quote from: Tom and Margi
... the winds are picking up again.  This is not over yet.

Correct Margi. Large areas of northern CA will have a red flag warning starting this evening.

Tom

• Administrator
  • ---
    • RV Forum web site
« Reply #55 on: October 11, 2017, 06:50:34 PM »
Quote from: Lou Schneider
The Bay Area Air Quality Management District says the air quality in many parts of the Bay Area is the worst they've ever seen.

Aye Lou, even out here in the "unaffected" Delta, it's really bad. In addition to low visibility and breathing issues, there's a very strong burning smell. Can't imagine what it's like in/around the Napa Valley.

A spokesman says it's similar to what you'd get on a bad day in Beijing

Coincidentally, I was thinking of 'a day in Beijing' as I was driving home today.

Sun2Retire

• Photo moderator
  • ---
« Reply #56 on: October 11, 2017, 07:00:23 PM »
Mandatory evacuation ordered for entire city of Calistoga  :(
Scott

Tom

• Administrator
  • ---
    • RV Forum web site
« Reply #57 on: October 11, 2017, 07:15:40 PM »
Correct Scott; I heard that on the way home this afternoon.

One surprise was also hearing that Berkley has let residents know they might need to get ready to evacuate.

gwcowgill

• ---
  • Retired USAF, Retired Auto Instructor Dade Cty Sch
« Reply #58 on: October 11, 2017, 07:21:09 PM »
Our hearts and prayers go out to those who are affected by the fires.We often get poor air quality here in Florida when the Everglades catches fire normally in the December thru March time frame depending on the wind direction. Stay safe, homes and belongings can be replaced, lives cannot.
2009 Bounder 36B, 2014 Honda CR-V, various grandchildren when school is out. KG4LHS
2014 Honda CRV Toad,
2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Toad

Sun2Retire

• Photo moderator
  • ---
« Reply #59 on: October 11, 2017, 07:36:59 PM »
One surprise was also hearing that Berkley has let residents know they might need to get ready to evacuate.

Oh man, I remember the Oakland Hills fire. Those people must be thinking, "not again"...
Scott

taoshum

• ---
« Reply #60 on: October 11, 2017, 07:54:23 PM »
Geez, DW's niece was at the LV concert running through the gunfire (did not get hit) but returned to Petaluma to face this.  Have not heard if the fire hit too.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2017, 07:56:17 PM by taoshum »
07 Itasca Meridian 34SH.  '08 Jeep Sahara.
Taos, NM.

Tom

• Administrator
  • ---
    • RV Forum web site
« Reply #61 on: October 11, 2017, 07:59:14 PM »
Taos, I sure hope your wife's niece and her family are OK.

halfwright

• ---
« Reply #62 on: October 11, 2017, 10:37:06 PM »
I have not heard the cause of all these terrible fires. Human caused or lightning?

We workamped twice in Yolo county, east of Napa. That area burned several years ago.
Jim And Darlene Wright
Full-timing with
Ryder, half poodle-- half garbage disposal
All in a
2007 Montana Mountaineer
2002 F250 Super duty 7.3 liter

Lou Schneider

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #63 on: October 11, 2017, 11:03:30 PM »
At this point, no one knows.  The problem is the fires started in hurricane force winds and spread over a tremendous area within minutes.  Firefighters have been concentrating on saving lives and property, not looking for the cause.

Top priority at this point is to get containment lines around the fires, a task made infinitely harder by constantly shifting winds.  Three days after they started, all of the fires are still essentially running wild with flying embers starting new blazes.

After the fires are contained (no longer spreading) they can work on getting the areas within the containment lines under control.

Then they'll go back and do the forensics to find the cause(s).

As of this afternoon there were over 5000 firefighters fighting the blazes.   After working for 36-40 hours non-stop, they are just now getting rotated off the fire lines for some rest.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2017, 11:23:01 PM by Lou Schneider »

Tom

• Administrator
  • ---
    • RV Forum web site
« Reply #64 on: October 12, 2017, 04:21:59 AM »
Ditto everything Lou said. I've been watching/listening to the press briefings, and heard two related comments:
  • The high winds, low humidity, and dry brush (from a long, hot summer) resulted in a perfect storm.
  • All fires are man made, either on purpose or accidentally.
Edit: Just heard a reported comment by an anonymous PG&E lineman who believes that downed power lines and exploding transformers caused the first fires.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2017, 04:53:21 AM by Tom »

Tom

• Administrator
  • ---
    • RV Forum web site
« Reply #65 on: October 12, 2017, 11:18:25 AM »
... the town of Calistoga is burning.

Per this morning's press conference, this was an incorrect statement proliferated by the media.

Tom

• Administrator
  • ---
    • RV Forum web site
« Reply #66 on: October 12, 2017, 08:06:49 PM »
Per the latest news briefing, it appears that the firefighters are starting to get a handle on the fires, with a small (10%) containment on one of the fires. However, weather conditions over the weekend will not be helpful.

Rene T

• ---
  • Great being on the right side of the grass
« Reply #67 on: October 12, 2017, 08:08:29 PM »
Per this morning's press conference, this was an incorrect statement proliferated by the media.

Fake news!! :o ::) ;D :D
Rene & Lucille & co-pilot Buddy
AKA  Pep N Mem
2011 Chevy Duramax 2500 HD 4X4
2011 Montana High Country 343RL
From the Granite State of NH
& Florida Snowbird in Lakeland FL

Tom

• Administrator
  • ---
    • RV Forum web site
« Reply #68 on: October 12, 2017, 08:34:40 PM »
Quote from: Rene T
Fake news!!

Let's not go there Rene. Calistoga was 'surrounded' by fire, and they were under evacuation, so it wasn't a big leap by the media.

Meanwhile, I'm attempting to provide updated factual info from the 3X daily news briefings.

Willandgiselarv

• ---
« Reply #69 on: October 12, 2017, 08:51:21 PM »
It appears as Tom pointed out they are starting to have some control on some of the fires.
In Fairfield Eastride Area it has been downgraded to advisory status and was given the ok to return home. I am one of the lucky ones in this fire. A lot of everything has been devastated . Once I settle I will reach out to others that need help like a place to stay. BTW I live in the Green Valley area.
Thanks for all the concern.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2017, 08:53:22 PM by Willandgiselarv »

Tom

• Administrator
  • ---
    • RV Forum web site
« Reply #70 on: October 12, 2017, 09:20:31 PM »
I am one of the lucky ones in this fire.

Glad to hear that, but I'm really sorry for any of your neighbors who were not so lucky.

... I will reach out to others that need help like a place to stay.

That's a wonderful trait that we all have as Americans. I wish we could make the same offer to survivors of these fires. Folks/friends that we know in the area are safe and their homes intact.

TonyDtorch

• ---
« Reply #71 on: October 12, 2017, 09:45:28 PM »
The local News just predicted the winds to increase tonight to 30 mph in the fire zone...

Not Good News.    A fire Chief said "it's going to get worse before it's get's better"

My prayers are going out to all those affected.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2017, 09:53:33 PM by TonyDtorch »

Tom and Margi

• ---
« Reply #72 on: October 12, 2017, 10:05:34 PM »
I want to pay tribute to the firefighters who have worked round the clock for hours and hours trying to save lives.  Some communities in this area have paid firefighters, but other smaller community fire departments are staffed by volunteers.  I'm not even sure if they have finally gotten to the point where they can try to save property as they are focused on saving lives, but I'm sure they will try their best when conditions allow. 

Also deserving of compliments are the members of the press who are trying to cover this immense catastrophe, keep their reports as accurate as possible, and have more first hand views of the carnage than they would ever have wanted to have.  Especially the local press who, like the firefighters, ambulance crews and policemen, are constantly in danger of losing (or have already lost) their own homes.

Tom

• Administrator
  • ---
    • RV Forum web site
« Reply #73 on: October 13, 2017, 02:21:31 AM »
Ditto Margi.

Tom

• Administrator
  • ---
    • RV Forum web site
« Reply #74 on: October 13, 2017, 08:19:17 AM »
The stats keep rising. 31 now confirmed dead. Let's hope that many of the 400 "unaccounted for" just haven't checked in as 'safe' due to power outage &/or lack of cell service.191,000 acres burned. 2,834 homes in Santa Rosa alone destroyed. Let's also hope they can start to get some containment of these fires, several of which have merged into larger fires.

Waiting for the 3x daily press briefing (Cal Fire, CHP, Sheriff, National Guard, District Supervisors).
« Last Edit: October 13, 2017, 09:47:02 AM by Tom »

Tom

• Administrator
  • ---
    • RV Forum web site
« Reply #75 on: October 13, 2017, 06:48:06 PM »
Containment numbers have increased significantly, and some areas have lifted evacuation orders. However, many folks have nothing to return home to.

Meanwhile, there's a new 'red flag' warning for high winds tonight.

Looters continue to be arrested. One Sheriff releases booking photos to social media in an attempt to discourage looting by others.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2017, 07:15:43 PM by Tom »

Tom

• Administrator
  • ---
    • RV Forum web site
« Reply #76 on: October 13, 2017, 07:17:20 PM »
A 4.0 earthquake hit Mendocino County. Effects unknown.

Tom

• Administrator
  • ---
    • RV Forum web site
« Reply #77 on: October 13, 2017, 07:30:08 PM »
Most evacuation centers are overwhelmed with physical donations; They don't have the staff to deal with water, food and other stuff. They're requesting that donations be made in cash to organizations such as the Red Cross or United Way.

Tom and Margi

• ---
« Reply #78 on: October 13, 2017, 07:58:03 PM »
Must compliment Guy Fieri.  He owned a couple of restaurants in Santa Rosa before he became well known on the Cooking channel.  He evacuated his family from Coffee Lane area, phoned the Salvation Army, asked how he could help.  He recruited some of his fellow local chefs, recruited some of his former and current restaurant staff, set up shop with a BBQ truck at the Veteran's Memorial Building across from the Sonoma Co. fairgrounds, and began serving tons and tons of food to evacuees, first responders, and anyone else who needed a meal. 

Tom

• Administrator
  • ---
    • RV Forum web site
« Reply #79 on: October 13, 2017, 08:19:38 PM »
Ditto Margi, thanks.

Lou Schneider

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #80 on: October 13, 2017, 09:48:53 PM »
On Facebook and at the SF Chronicle, idiots are criticizing Guy Fieri for being insensitive by bringing a trailer mounted meat smoker and a wood fired oven to a fire evacuation center.  A KQED reporter made this the centerpiece of her story, accusing Guy of doing it as a publicity stunt.

Heck, it's his standard catering setup, minus the signs and banners.  He's cooking and delivering 1500 - 2500 tasty meals per sitting and paying for it out of his own pocket.  And he said he will continue as long as there's a need.

On a better note, I was listening to KSRO today, and they reported many local  restaurants are offering free meals to first responders.  Over 500 police officers from places like San Francisco, Oakland and other Bay Area cities have been there since earlier this week, patrolling evacuated areas and manning roadblocks to guard against looting and keep people out.

A group of 10 officers were enjoying a meal in the Santa Rosa Cattleman's steakhouse.  While they were eating, other customers quietly approached the manager and offered to cover the officer's tab.  They were told it was already taken care of.

After the meal, as the officers rose to leave, the entire restaurant erupted in applause.

« Last Edit: October 13, 2017, 09:51:56 PM by Lou Schneider »

gwcowgill

• ---
  • Retired USAF, Retired Auto Instructor Dade Cty Sch
« Reply #81 on: October 14, 2017, 05:44:25 AM »
On Facebook and at the SF Chronicle, idiots are criticizing Guy Fieri for being insensitive by bringing a trailer mounted meat smoker and a wood fired oven to a fire evacuation center.  A KQED reporter made this the centerpiece of her story, accusing Guy of doing it as a publicity stunt.

Heck, it's his standard catering setup, minus the signs and banners.  He's cooking and delivering 1500 - 2500 tasty meals per sitting and paying for it out of his own pocket.  And he said he will continue as long as there's a need.

On a better note, I was listening to KSRO today, and they reported many local  restaurants are offering free meals to first responders.  Over 500 police officers from places like San Francisco, Oakland and other Bay Area cities have been there since earlier this week, patrolling evacuated areas and manning roadblocks to guard against looting and keep people out.

A group of 10 officers were enjoying a meal in the Santa Rosa Cattleman's steakhouse.  While they were eating, other customers quietly approached the manager and offered to cover the officer's tab.  They were told it was already taken care of.

After the meal, as the officers rose to leave, the entire restaurant erupted in applause.

There is always someone with a negative attitude criticizing someone doing a good deed and the news outlets seem to have their share of them. Keep up the good work Guy.

The people in the restaurant have the right attitude. These first responders need prayer  and the public's support and many thanks for putting their life on the line. I have a daughter who is a LEO in Miami-Dade and I know what she goes through. They deserve what they are getting in perks.

Where is the sensitivity these people need. I watched a wild fire in Utah several years ago and was honored to be able to comfort a family who was watching their home burn. Prayer and comforting should be our priority in this and all tragic events.
2009 Bounder 36B, 2014 Honda CR-V, various grandchildren when school is out. KG4LHS
2014 Honda CRV Toad,
2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Toad

Tom

• Administrator
  • ---
    • RV Forum web site
« Reply #82 on: October 14, 2017, 09:24:52 AM »
Increased winds overnight have resulted in more mandatory evacuations this morning in Santa Rosa and the Sonoma Valley. Meanwhile, containment of some fires has increased. But more high winds are forecast for the weekend.

Bill N

• ---
« Reply #83 on: October 14, 2017, 10:05:29 AM »
Well, I wouldn't know about that, Tom, but I'm sure you're an expert, so I'll bow to your knowledge.  There are also multitudes of hard working, upstanding citizens living in that area who are losing their homes by the thousands.  And all you can focus on is pot?  Forgive me if my focus and caring are elsewhere at this time.

X2
Bill & Joan N in Missouri
USAF (Ret)
2002 Winnebago Adventurer 35U
Workhorse W22, 8.1L Chevy V8
2013 Chevy Sonic Toad
Furbearers:  Heidi-17(Forever), Grace-10 & Squeak-4, Winnie - 6 months

Sun2Retire

• Photo moderator
  • ---
« Reply #84 on: October 14, 2017, 10:23:20 AM »
Letís stay on topic folks
Scott

Tom

• Administrator
  • ---
    • RV Forum web site
« Reply #85 on: October 15, 2017, 11:42:17 AM »
Overnight winds continued to fan the flames and expand the north Bay fires. Confirmed death toll is now 40, but that's likely to go up. 600 unaccounted for. 5,700 homes destroyed. Thousands in evacuation centers, some are being allowed to return 'home', although their homes may no longer exist. Fire containment percentages have increased significantly.

Tom and Margi

• ---
« Reply #86 on: October 15, 2017, 12:16:44 PM »
This is a heartbreaking video made by a strike team from Berkeley, CA which was sent to Santa Rosa to assist the firefighting effort.

http://www.berkeleyside.com/2017/10/14/watch-berkeley-firefighters-arrive-santa-rosa-encounter-devastation-tackle-blazes/

Sun2Retire

• Photo moderator
  • ---
« Reply #87 on: October 15, 2017, 01:47:36 PM »
This is a heartbreaking video made by a strike team from Berkeley, CA which was sent to Santa Rosa to assist the firefighting effort.

http://www.berkeleyside.com/2017/10/14/watch-berkeley-firefighters-arrive-santa-rosa-encounter-devastation-tackle-blazes/

No words
Scott

Rene T

• ---
  • Great being on the right side of the grass
« Reply #88 on: October 15, 2017, 03:06:33 PM »
Unbelievable.
Rene & Lucille & co-pilot Buddy
AKA  Pep N Mem
2011 Chevy Duramax 2500 HD 4X4
2011 Montana High Country 343RL
From the Granite State of NH
& Florida Snowbird in Lakeland FL

ArdraF

• ---
« Reply #89 on: October 15, 2017, 05:51:20 PM »
Heartbreaking doesn't even begin to describe it, Margi.  So devastating and so sad.

ArdraF
ArdraF
:D :D

Tom

• Administrator
  • ---
    • RV Forum web site
« Reply #90 on: October 15, 2017, 05:58:50 PM »
A number of the first responders have either lost their homes or are under evacuation. So their families evacuated while they keep reporting to work.

Tom

• Administrator
  • ---
    • RV Forum web site
« Reply #91 on: October 15, 2017, 06:09:06 PM »
I've been putting reports/updates on Facebook, following the 3x daily press briefings. We have family and friends 6,000 miles away who live in brick or stone dwellings, in a climate where "it rains 366 days a year", and can't relate to homes or landscaping that burns and spreads, e.g. our son's house has walls that are 28" thick made of stone, and I can only remember one house in our valley that was constructed of wood.

In addition to letting them know that we're OK and a "long" way from the fires, I try to sensitize them to what the folks in the north Bay are still going through. They look at a map and see that we're not near and therefore are 'safe'. We've lived in the Bay area for almost 40 years, and I still find it mind boggling. When we lived 6,000 miles away, fires in California didn't seem real.

Tom and Margi

• ---
« Reply #92 on: October 15, 2017, 06:48:05 PM »
A number of the first responders have either lost their homes or are under evacuation. So their families evacuated while they keep reporting to work.

You're so right, Tom.  My nephew is with the San Jose FD and my niece in law is with San Francisco FD.  Many firefighters commute great distances in the Bay Area to provide both quality of life for their families and comparatively lower prices for homes.  My nephew has not lost his home -- yet.  They have been within a mile of evac orders at least twice or three times and, it simply isn't over yet.  Their 6 year old has not yet seen the Fountain Grove pool she used to swim in or her favorite playground -- both burned.  She has repeatedly asked her firefighter parents "Will our house burn down?"  Sad.  I can't even imagine how to begin to console children whose house did burn down. 

Tom

• Administrator
  • ---
    • RV Forum web site
« Reply #93 on: October 19, 2017, 07:42:59 PM »
Forecast lower temps and rain are good news for the firefighters. Containment numbers for of the various fires have increased significantly, and folks from various neighborhoods have been allowed to re-enter their communities, but many return to total loss of their home/property.

Hosted by Over The Network