North SF Bay devastating fires

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
No ... you lighten up.  When crises of this magnitude are happening, cheap jokes are just that.  Cheap.  Someone of your sensibility who has the artistry to take such expressive pictures needn't take refuge in cheap jokes.  Sorry to be so emotional myself, but I spent many, many years in this area.  My husband and I raised our children here and to see it so devastated hurts more than I can even describe.

SeilerBird said:
Here is a video of a typical NorCal greenhouse, of which there are thousands in the forests.

What part of "in the forests" do you not get?  This has nothing to do with the area currently undergoing this devastating fire!  I'm getting so sick and tired of all of California being colored unnecessarily by the same crayon.

Tom and Margi said:
I spent many, many years in this area.  My husband and I raised our children here and to see it so devastated hurts more than I can even describe.

Yup. Born and raised in CA. I used to fly into Santa Rosa from Boonville when I was a Private Pilot. My girls were born in Santa Rosa just outside the evacuation zone. This is personal for many of us. This thread was started by our Admin to discuss a specific issue. Let my post be the last one mentioning anything other than the original intent.

Interesting that several message were mysteriously and significantly changed.

Tom said:
Horrendous fires erupted overnight in a number of North SF Bay towns and communities.
A know a couple from Santa Rosa whose house burnt to the ground and they lost just about everything in it.  So I am letting them stay here in Auburn with me. They got here late Monday afternoon.

They say it is dark there during the day and very difficult to breathe. Most of  the business there are closed, but all the motels are packed full. Many roads were closed.

Also their doggy is here. A big fat Alaskan Malamute.

-Don-  Auburn, CA

Don, sorry about your friends' place, but glad they have a friend like you. We just hope our friends are OK and, if they need a place, they'd be welcome to stay here.

Was just reading Press Democrat; both the Fountaingrove Inn and round barn were destroyed. Almost certainly all of the redwoods lining 101, planted probably 75+ years ago, are gone as well. The hospital where my daughters were born (Kaiser) has been evacuated and partially damaged. We were living there when that hospital was built  :(

Sorry to hear that Will. I just heard a little about the Atlas fire on local TV news, but didn't catch how it was threatening Fairfield. Stay safe!

Good news - just heard that 3 couples (friends) are safe and their homes intact. Haven't heard from/about a foruth couple.

I woke up yesterday to a Facebook "check in" message from a friend in Petaluma. I knew then that this was a major disaster. Facebook only activates the "Check In" system when a lot of people are affected. Luckily my friend is ok but what a disaster in the surrounding  area. We spent a few days in the area before continuing to the Yosemite rally, so my memories of the area are fresh. We are in a campground without any cell service so I can only catch up when we come into town like today (laundry).

And I am glad I missed the I corrected posts. People are dying, an economy is going to be in dire straits for years. We need accurate information, not justifications about marijuana.

To all those who are affected in a personal way I am very sorry for your friends and family who have lost their homes or who are in danger.

Even though I am not personally affected it brings tears to my eyes ? thinking of the devastation and the thoughts of how frightening this is.

Tom said:
Sorry to hear that Will. I just heard a little about the Atlas fire on local TV news, but didn't catch how it was threatening Fairfield. Stay safe!
Thanks Tom, just packing some stuff , wife and pets going to parents house in SF.
Mandatory evac in Green Valley.

The fires continue to spread, and containment is still either 0% or very close to it. Yesterday's drop in winds, temperatures and increased humidity was short lived. The confirmed death toll, acreage burned and number of homes/structured destroyed continue to rise. 22,000 people evacuated, 5,000 in temporary/makeshift shelters. Affected area now 115,000 acres, and more areas under mandatory evacuations today. Widespread power outages (affecting folks who's homes survived), and cell towers down.

[quote author=Willandgiselarv]...just packing some stuff ...[/quote]

Hope that Will and his family are safe.

Tom said:
The fires continue to spread, and containment is still either 0% or very close to it. Yesterday's drop in winds, temperatures and humidity was short lived. The confirmed death toll, acreage burned and number of homes/structured destroyed continue to rise. 22,000 people evacuated, 5,000 in temporary/makeshift shelters. Affected area now 115,000 acres, and more areas under mandatory evacuations today. Widespread power outages (affecting folks who's homes survived), and cell towers down.

Having lived on St Helena Rd to the NE, I could understand how that area could be threatened by a fire coming over the hill (it appears my old house is untouched for now). What is hard to fathom though is the urban destruction - large areas largely paved with a few decorative trees where buildings burned to the ground - KMart for example. It?s hard to imagine the intensity required, really gut wrenching.

Aye Scott, it was the result of very high winds, coupled with the very low humidity.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
skibumbob
Back
Top Bottom