EPDM Coatings
rvupgradestore.com Composet Products Custom Yacht Interiors

Author Topic: North SF Bay devastating fires  (Read 2308 times)

taoshum

• ---
Re: North SF Bay devastating fires
« Reply #60 on: October 11, 2017, 07:54:23 PM »
Geez, DW's niece was at the LV concert running through the gunfire (did not get hit) but returned to Petaluma to face this.  Have not heard if the fire hit too.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2017, 07:56:17 PM by taoshum »
07 Itasca Meridian 34SH.  '08 Jeep Sahara.
Taos, NM.

Tom

• Administrator
  • ---
    • RV Forum web site
« Reply #61 on: October 11, 2017, 07:59:14 PM »
Taos, I sure hope your wife's niece and her family are OK.
Tom.  Need help? Click the Help button in the toolbar above.

halfwright

• ---
« Reply #62 on: October 11, 2017, 10:37:06 PM »
I have not heard the cause of all these terrible fires. Human caused or lightning?

We workamped twice in Yolo county, east of Napa. That area burned several years ago.
Jim And Darlene Wright
Full-timing with
Ryder, half poodle-- half garbage disposal
All in a
2007 Montana Mountaineer
2002 F250 Super duty 7.3 liter

Lou Schneider

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #63 on: October 11, 2017, 11:03:30 PM »
At this point, no one knows.  The problem is the fires started in hurricane force winds and spread over a tremendous area within minutes.  Firefighters have been concentrating on saving lives and property, not looking for the cause.

Top priority at this point is to get containment lines around the fires, a task made infinitely harder by constantly shifting winds.  Three days after they started, all of the fires are still essentially running wild with flying embers starting new blazes.

After the fires are contained (no longer spreading) they can work on getting the areas within the containment lines under control.

Then they'll go back and do the forensics to find the cause(s).

As of this afternoon there were over 5000 firefighters fighting the blazes.   After working for 36-40 hours non-stop, they are just now getting rotated off the fire lines for some rest.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2017, 11:23:01 PM by Lou Schneider »

Tom

• Administrator
  • ---
    • RV Forum web site
« Reply #64 on: October 12, 2017, 04:21:59 AM »
Ditto everything Lou said. I've been watching/listening to the press briefings, and heard two related comments:
  • The high winds, low humidity, and dry brush (from a long, hot summer) resulted in a perfect storm.
  • All fires are man made, either on purpose or accidentally.
Edit: Just heard a reported comment by an anonymous PG&E lineman who believes that downed power lines and exploding transformers caused the first fires.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2017, 04:53:21 AM by Tom »

Tom

• Administrator
  • ---
    • RV Forum web site
« Reply #65 on: October 12, 2017, 11:18:25 AM »
... the town of Calistoga is burning.

Per this morning's press conference, this was an incorrect statement proliferated by the media.

Tom

• Administrator
  • ---
    • RV Forum web site
« Reply #66 on: October 12, 2017, 08:06:49 PM »
Per the latest news briefing, it appears that the firefighters are starting to get a handle on the fires, with a small (10%) containment on one of the fires. However, weather conditions over the weekend will not be helpful.

Rene T

• ---
  • Great being on the right side of the grass
« Reply #67 on: October 12, 2017, 08:08:29 PM »
Per this morning's press conference, this was an incorrect statement proliferated by the media.

Fake news!! :o ::) ;D :D
Rene & Lucille & co-pilot Buddy
AKA  Pep N Mem
2011 Chevy Duramax 2500 HD 4X4
2011 Montana High Country 343RL
From the Granite State of NH
& Florida Snowbird in Lakeland FL

Tom

• Administrator
  • ---
    • RV Forum web site
« Reply #68 on: October 12, 2017, 08:34:40 PM »
Quote from: Rene T
Fake news!!

Let's not go there Rene. Calistoga was 'surrounded' by fire, and they were under evacuation, so it wasn't a big leap by the media.

Meanwhile, I'm attempting to provide updated factual info from the 3X daily news briefings.

Willandgiselarv

• ---
« Reply #69 on: October 12, 2017, 08:51:21 PM »
It appears as Tom pointed out they are starting to have some control on some of the fires.
In Fairfield Eastride Area it has been downgraded to advisory status and was given the ok to return home. I am one of the lucky ones in this fire. A lot of everything has been devastated . Once I settle I will reach out to others that need help like a place to stay. BTW I live in the Green Valley area.
Thanks for all the concern.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2017, 08:53:22 PM by Willandgiselarv »
2004 GB. Bellagio 38ft  3126E Allison 3060
2015 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk

Tom

• Administrator
  • ---
    • RV Forum web site
« Reply #70 on: October 12, 2017, 09:20:31 PM »
I am one of the lucky ones in this fire.

Glad to hear that, but I'm really sorry for any of your neighbors who were not so lucky.

... I will reach out to others that need help like a place to stay.

That's a wonderful trait that we all have as Americans. I wish we could make the same offer to survivors of these fires. Folks/friends that we know in the area are safe and their homes intact.

TonyDtorch

• ---
« Reply #71 on: October 12, 2017, 09:45:28 PM »
The local News just predicted the winds to increase tonight to 30 mph in the fire zone...

Not Good News.    A fire Chief said "it's going to get worse before it's get's better"

My prayers are going out to all those affected.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2017, 09:53:33 PM by TonyDtorch »

Tom and Margi

• ---
« Reply #72 on: October 12, 2017, 10:05:34 PM »
I want to pay tribute to the firefighters who have worked round the clock for hours and hours trying to save lives.  Some communities in this area have paid firefighters, but other smaller community fire departments are staffed by volunteers.  I'm not even sure if they have finally gotten to the point where they can try to save property as they are focused on saving lives, but I'm sure they will try their best when conditions allow. 

Also deserving of compliments are the members of the press who are trying to cover this immense catastrophe, keep their reports as accurate as possible, and have more first hand views of the carnage than they would ever have wanted to have.  Especially the local press who, like the firefighters, ambulance crews and policemen, are constantly in danger of losing (or have already lost) their own homes.

Tom

• Administrator
  • ---
    • RV Forum web site
« Reply #73 on: October 13, 2017, 02:21:31 AM »
Ditto Margi.

Tom

• Administrator
  • ---
    • RV Forum web site
« Reply #74 on: October 13, 2017, 08:19:17 AM »
The stats keep rising. 31 now confirmed dead. Let's hope that many of the 400 "unaccounted for" just haven't checked in as 'safe' due to power outage &/or lack of cell service.191,000 acres burned. 2,834 homes in Santa Rosa alone destroyed. Let's also hope they can start to get some containment of these fires, several of which have merged into larger fires.

Waiting for the 3x daily press briefing (Cal Fire, CHP, Sheriff, National Guard, District Supervisors).
« Last Edit: October 13, 2017, 09:47:02 AM by Tom »

Tom

• Administrator
  • ---
    • RV Forum web site
« Reply #75 on: October 13, 2017, 06:48:06 PM »
Containment numbers have increased significantly, and some areas have lifted evacuation orders. However, many folks have nothing to return home to.

Meanwhile, there's a new 'red flag' warning for high winds tonight.

Looters continue to be arrested. One Sheriff releases booking photos to social media in an attempt to discourage looting by others.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2017, 07:15:43 PM by Tom »

Tom

• Administrator
  • ---
    • RV Forum web site
« Reply #76 on: October 13, 2017, 07:17:20 PM »
A 4.0 earthquake hit Mendocino County. Effects unknown.

Tom

• Administrator
  • ---
    • RV Forum web site
« Reply #77 on: October 13, 2017, 07:30:08 PM »
Most evacuation centers are overwhelmed with physical donations; They don't have the staff to deal with water, food and other stuff. They're requesting that donations be made in cash to organizations such as the Red Cross or United Way.

Tom and Margi

• ---
« Reply #78 on: October 13, 2017, 07:58:03 PM »
Must compliment Guy Fieri.  He owned a couple of restaurants in Santa Rosa before he became well known on the Cooking channel.  He evacuated his family from Coffee Lane area, phoned the Salvation Army, asked how he could help.  He recruited some of his fellow local chefs, recruited some of his former and current restaurant staff, set up shop with a BBQ truck at the Veteran's Memorial Building across from the Sonoma Co. fairgrounds, and began serving tons and tons of food to evacuees, first responders, and anyone else who needed a meal. 

Tom

• Administrator
  • ---
    • RV Forum web site
« Reply #79 on: October 13, 2017, 08:19:38 PM »
Ditto Margi, thanks.

Lou Schneider

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #80 on: October 13, 2017, 09:48:53 PM »
On Facebook and at the SF Chronicle, idiots are criticizing Guy Fieri for being insensitive by bringing a trailer mounted meat smoker and a wood fired oven to a fire evacuation center.  A KQED reporter made this the centerpiece of her story, accusing Guy of doing it as a publicity stunt.

Heck, it's his standard catering setup, minus the signs and banners.  He's cooking and delivering 1500 - 2500 tasty meals per sitting and paying for it out of his own pocket.  And he said he will continue as long as there's a need.

On a better note, I was listening to KSRO today, and they reported many local  restaurants are offering free meals to first responders.  Over 500 police officers from places like San Francisco, Oakland and other Bay Area cities have been there since earlier this week, patrolling evacuated areas and manning roadblocks to guard against looting and keep people out.

A group of 10 officers were enjoying a meal in the Santa Rosa Cattleman's steakhouse.  While they were eating, other customers quietly approached the manager and offered to cover the officer's tab.  They were told it was already taken care of.

After the meal, as the officers rose to leave, the entire restaurant erupted in applause.

« Last Edit: October 13, 2017, 09:51:56 PM by Lou Schneider »

gwcowgill

• ---
  • Retired USAF, Retired Auto Instructor Dade Cty Sch
« Reply #81 on: October 14, 2017, 05:44:25 AM »
On Facebook and at the SF Chronicle, idiots are criticizing Guy Fieri for being insensitive by bringing a trailer mounted meat smoker and a wood fired oven to a fire evacuation center.  A KQED reporter made this the centerpiece of her story, accusing Guy of doing it as a publicity stunt.

Heck, it's his standard catering setup, minus the signs and banners.  He's cooking and delivering 1500 - 2500 tasty meals per sitting and paying for it out of his own pocket.  And he said he will continue as long as there's a need.

On a better note, I was listening to KSRO today, and they reported many local  restaurants are offering free meals to first responders.  Over 500 police officers from places like San Francisco, Oakland and other Bay Area cities have been there since earlier this week, patrolling evacuated areas and manning roadblocks to guard against looting and keep people out.

A group of 10 officers were enjoying a meal in the Santa Rosa Cattleman's steakhouse.  While they were eating, other customers quietly approached the manager and offered to cover the officer's tab.  They were told it was already taken care of.

After the meal, as the officers rose to leave, the entire restaurant erupted in applause.

There is always someone with a negative attitude criticizing someone doing a good deed and the news outlets seem to have their share of them. Keep up the good work Guy.

The people in the restaurant have the right attitude. These first responders need prayer  and the public's support and many thanks for putting their life on the line. I have a daughter who is a LEO in Miami-Dade and I know what she goes through. They deserve what they are getting in perks.

Where is the sensitivity these people need. I watched a wild fire in Utah several years ago and was honored to be able to comfort a family who was watching their home burn. Prayer and comforting should be our priority in this and all tragic events.
2009 Bounder 36B, 2014 Honda CR-V, various grandchildren when school is out. KG4LHS
2014 Honda CRV Toad,
2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Toad

Tom

• Administrator
  • ---
    • RV Forum web site
« Reply #82 on: October 14, 2017, 09:24:52 AM »
Increased winds overnight have resulted in more mandatory evacuations this morning in Santa Rosa and the Sonoma Valley. Meanwhile, containment of some fires has increased. But more high winds are forecast for the weekend.

Bill N

• ---
« Reply #83 on: October 14, 2017, 10:05:29 AM »
Well, I wouldn't know about that, Tom, but I'm sure you're an expert, so I'll bow to your knowledge.  There are also multitudes of hard working, upstanding citizens living in that area who are losing their homes by the thousands.  And all you can focus on is pot?  Forgive me if my focus and caring are elsewhere at this time.

X2
Bill & Joan N in Missouri
USAF (Ret)
2002 Winnebago Adventurer 35U
Workhorse W22, 8.1L Chevy V8
2013 Chevy Sonic Toad
Furbearers:  Heidi-17(Forever), Grace-10 & Squeak-4, Winnie - 6 months

Sun2Retire

• Photo moderator
  • ---
« Reply #84 on: October 14, 2017, 10:23:20 AM »
Letís stay on topic folks
Scott
2005 Newmar Dutch Star 3810, Spartan, Cat C7 350 "OURVEE"
Eezrv TPMS, VMSpc, 800W Solar
2002 Dodge RAM 1500 Quad Cab "RTOAD"
Stowmaster towbar & Brakemaster

Tom

• Administrator
  • ---
    • RV Forum web site
« Reply #85 on: October 15, 2017, 11:42:17 AM »
Overnight winds continued to fan the flames and expand the north Bay fires. Confirmed death toll is now 40, but that's likely to go up. 600 unaccounted for. 5,700 homes destroyed. Thousands in evacuation centers, some are being allowed to return 'home', although their homes may no longer exist. Fire containment percentages have increased significantly.

Tom and Margi

• ---
« Reply #86 on: October 15, 2017, 12:16:44 PM »
This is a heartbreaking video made by a strike team from Berkeley, CA which was sent to Santa Rosa to assist the firefighting effort.

http://www.berkeleyside.com/2017/10/14/watch-berkeley-firefighters-arrive-santa-rosa-encounter-devastation-tackle-blazes/

Sun2Retire

• Photo moderator
  • ---
« Reply #87 on: October 15, 2017, 01:47:36 PM »
This is a heartbreaking video made by a strike team from Berkeley, CA which was sent to Santa Rosa to assist the firefighting effort.

http://www.berkeleyside.com/2017/10/14/watch-berkeley-firefighters-arrive-santa-rosa-encounter-devastation-tackle-blazes/

No words
Scott
2005 Newmar Dutch Star 3810, Spartan, Cat C7 350 "OURVEE"
Eezrv TPMS, VMSpc, 800W Solar
2002 Dodge RAM 1500 Quad Cab "RTOAD"
Stowmaster towbar & Brakemaster

Rene T

• ---
  • Great being on the right side of the grass
« Reply #88 on: October 15, 2017, 03:06:33 PM »
Unbelievable.
Rene & Lucille & co-pilot Buddy
AKA  Pep N Mem
2011 Chevy Duramax 2500 HD 4X4
2011 Montana High Country 343RL
From the Granite State of NH
& Florida Snowbird in Lakeland FL

ArdraF

• ---
« Reply #89 on: October 15, 2017, 05:51:20 PM »
Heartbreaking doesn't even begin to describe it, Margi.  So devastating and so sad.

ArdraF
ArdraF
:D :D

Hosted by Over The Network