North SF Bay devastating fires

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Geez, DW's niece was at the LV concert running through the gunfire (did not get hit) but returned to Petaluma to face this.  Have not heard if the fire hit too.

Taos, I sure hope your wife's niece and her family are OK.

I have not heard the cause of all these terrible fires. Human caused or lightning?

We workamped twice in Yolo county, east of Napa. That area burned several years ago.

At this point, no one knows.  The problem is the fires started in hurricane force winds and spread over a tremendous area within minutes.  Firefighters have been concentrating on saving lives and property, not looking for the cause.

Top priority at this point is to get containment lines around the fires, a task made infinitely harder by constantly shifting winds.  Three days after they started, all of the fires are still essentially running wild with flying embers starting new blazes.

After the fires are contained (no longer spreading) they can work on getting the areas within the containment lines under control.

Then they'll go back and do the forensics to find the cause(s).

As of this afternoon there were over 5000 firefighters fighting the blazes.  After working for 36-40 hours non-stop, they are just now getting rotated off the fire lines for some rest.

Ditto everything Lou said. I've been watching/listening to the press briefings, and heard two related comments:
  • The high winds, low humidity, and dry brush (from a long, hot summer) resulted in a perfect storm.
  • All fires are man made, either on purpose or accidentally.
Edit: Just heard a reported comment by an anonymous PG&E lineman who believes that downed power lines and exploding transformers caused the first fires.

... the town of Calistoga is burning.

Per this morning's press conference, this was an incorrect statement proliferated by the media.

Per the latest news briefing, it appears that the firefighters are starting to get a handle on the fires, with a small (10%) containment on one of the fires. However, weather conditions over the weekend will not be helpful.

[quote author=Rene T]Fake news!![/quote]

Let's not go there Rene. Calistoga was 'surrounded' by fire, and they were under evacuation, so it wasn't a big leap by the media.

Meanwhile, I'm attempting to provide updated factual info from the 3X daily news briefings.

It appears as Tom pointed out they are starting to have some control on some of the fires.
In Fairfield Eastride Area it has been downgraded to advisory status and was given the ok to return home. I am one of the lucky ones in this fire. A lot of everything has been devastated . Once I settle I will reach out to others that need help like a place to stay. BTW I live in the Green Valley area.
Thanks for all the concern.

I am one of the lucky ones in this fire.

Glad to hear that, but I'm really sorry for any of your neighbors who were not so lucky.

... I will reach out to others that need help like a place to stay.

That's a wonderful trait that we all have as Americans. I wish we could make the same offer to survivors of these fires. Folks/friends that we know in the area are safe and their homes intact.

The local News just predicted the winds to increase tonight to 30 mph in the fire zone...

Not Good News.    A fire Chief said "it's going to get worse before it's get's better"

My prayers are going out to all those affected.

I want to pay tribute to the firefighters who have worked round the clock for hours and hours trying to save lives.  Some communities in this area have paid firefighters, but other smaller community fire departments are staffed by volunteers.  I'm not even sure if they have finally gotten to the point where they can try to save property as they are focused on saving lives, but I'm sure they will try their best when conditions allow. 

Also deserving of compliments are the members of the press who are trying to cover this immense catastrophe, keep their reports as accurate as possible, and have more first hand views of the carnage than they would ever have wanted to have.  Especially the local press who, like the firefighters, ambulance crews and policemen, are constantly in danger of losing (or have already lost) their own homes.

The stats keep rising. 31 now confirmed dead. Let's hope that many of the 400 "unaccounted for" just haven't checked in as 'safe' due to power outage &/or lack of cell service.191,000 acres burned. 2,834 homes in Santa Rosa alone destroyed. Let's also hope they can start to get some containment of these fires, several of which have merged into larger fires.

Waiting for the 3x daily press briefing (Cal Fire, CHP, Sheriff, National Guard, District Supervisors).

Containment numbers have increased significantly, and some areas have lifted evacuation orders. However, many folks have nothing to return home to.

Meanwhile, there's a new 'red flag' warning for high winds tonight.

Looters continue to be arrested. One Sheriff releases booking photos to social media in an attempt to discourage looting by others.

A 4.0 earthquake hit Mendocino County. Effects unknown.

Most evacuation centers are overwhelmed with physical donations; They don't have the staff to deal with water, food and other stuff. They're requesting that donations be made in cash to organizations such as the Red Cross or United Way.

Must compliment Guy Fieri.  He owned a couple of restaurants in Santa Rosa before he became well known on the Cooking channel.  He evacuated his family from Coffee Lane area, phoned the Salvation Army, asked how he could help.  He recruited some of his fellow local chefs, recruited some of his former and current restaurant staff, set up shop with a BBQ truck at the Veteran's Memorial Building across from the Sonoma Co. fairgrounds, and began serving tons and tons of food to evacuees, first responders, and anyone else who needed a meal. 

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MtnRV
Back
Top Bottom