North SF Bay devastating fires

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
On Facebook and at the SF Chronicle, idiots are criticizing Guy Fieri for being insensitive by bringing a trailer mounted meat smoker and a wood fired oven to a fire evacuation center.  A KQED reporter made this the centerpiece of her story, accusing Guy of doing it as a publicity stunt.

Heck, it's his standard catering setup, minus the signs and banners.  He's cooking and delivering 1500 - 2500 tasty meals per sitting and paying for it out of his own pocket.  And he said he will continue as long as there's a need.

On a better note, I was listening to KSRO today, and they reported many local  restaurants are offering free meals to first responders.  Over 500 police officers from places like San Francisco, Oakland and other Bay Area cities have been there since earlier this week, patrolling evacuated areas and manning roadblocks to guard against looting and keep people out.

A group of 10 officers were enjoying a meal in the Santa Rosa Cattleman's steakhouse.  While they were eating, other customers quietly approached the manager and offered to cover the officer's tab.  They were told it was already taken care of.

After the meal, as the officers rose to leave, the entire restaurant erupted in applause.

Lou Schneider said:
On Facebook and at the SF Chronicle, idiots are criticizing Guy Fieri for being insensitive by bringing a trailer mounted meat smoker and a wood fired oven to a fire evacuation center.  A KQED reporter made this the centerpiece of her story, accusing Guy of doing it as a publicity stunt.

Heck, it's his standard catering setup, minus the signs and banners.  He's cooking and delivering 1500 - 2500 tasty meals per sitting and paying for it out of his own pocket.  And he said he will continue as long as there's a need.

On a better note, I was listening to KSRO today, and they reported many local  restaurants are offering free meals to first responders.  Over 500 police officers from places like San Francisco, Oakland and other Bay Area cities have been there since earlier this week, patrolling evacuated areas and manning roadblocks to guard against looting and keep people out.

A group of 10 officers were enjoying a meal in the Santa Rosa Cattleman's steakhouse.  While they were eating, other customers quietly approached the manager and offered to cover the officer's tab.  They were told it was already taken care of.

After the meal, as the officers rose to leave, the entire restaurant erupted in applause.

There is always someone with a negative attitude criticizing someone doing a good deed and the news outlets seem to have their share of them. Keep up the good work Guy.

The people in the restaurant have the right attitude. These first responders need prayer  and the public's support and many thanks for putting their life on the line. I have a daughter who is a LEO in Miami-Dade and I know what she goes through. They deserve what they are getting in perks.

Where is the sensitivity these people need. I watched a wild fire in Utah several years ago and was honored to be able to comfort a family who was watching their home burn. Prayer and comforting should be our priority in this and all tragic events.

Increased winds overnight have resulted in more mandatory evacuations this morning in Santa Rosa and the Sonoma Valley. Meanwhile, containment of some fires has increased. But more high winds are forecast for the weekend.

Tom and Margi said:
Well, I wouldn't know about that, Tom, but I'm sure you're an expert, so I'll bow to your knowledge.  There are also multitudes of hard working, upstanding citizens living in that area who are losing their homes by the thousands.  And all you can focus on is pot?  Forgive me if my focus and caring are elsewhere at this time.

X2

Overnight winds continued to fan the flames and expand the north Bay fires. Confirmed death toll is now 40, but that's likely to go up. 600 unaccounted for. 5,700 homes destroyed. Thousands in evacuation centers, some are being allowed to return 'home', although their homes may no longer exist. Fire containment percentages have increased significantly.

This is a heartbreaking video made by a strike team from Berkeley, CA which was sent to Santa Rosa to assist the firefighting effort.

http://www.berkeleyside.com/2017/10/14/watch-berkeley-firefighters-arrive-santa-rosa-encounter-devastation-tackle-blazes/

Heartbreaking doesn't even begin to describe it, Margi.  So devastating and so sad.

ArdraF

A number of the first responders have either lost their homes or are under evacuation. So their families evacuated while they keep reporting to work.

I've been putting reports/updates on Facebook, following the 3x daily press briefings. We have family and friends 6,000 miles away who live in brick or stone dwellings, in a climate where "it rains 366 days a year", and can't relate to homes or landscaping that burns and spreads, e.g. our son's house has walls that are 28" thick made of stone, and I can only remember one house in our valley that was constructed of wood.

In addition to letting them know that we're OK and a "long" way from the fires, I try to sensitize them to what the folks in the north Bay are still going through. They look at a map and see that we're not near and therefore are 'safe'. We've lived in the Bay area for almost 40 years, and I still find it mind boggling. When we lived 6,000 miles away, fires in California didn't seem real.

Tom said:
A number of the first responders have either lost their homes or are under evacuation. So their families evacuated while they keep reporting to work.

You're so right, Tom.  My nephew is with the San Jose FD and my niece in law is with San Francisco FD.  Many firefighters commute great distances in the Bay Area to provide both quality of life for their families and comparatively lower prices for homes.  My nephew has not lost his home -- yet.  They have been within a mile of evac orders at least twice or three times and, it simply isn't over yet.  Their 6 year old has not yet seen the Fountain Grove pool she used to swim in or her favorite playground -- both burned.  She has repeatedly asked her firefighter parents "Will our house burn down?"  Sad.  I can't even imagine how to begin to console children whose house did burn down. 

Forecast lower temps and rain are good news for the firefighters. Containment numbers for of the various fires have increased significantly, and folks from various neighborhoods have been allowed to re-enter their communities, but many return to total loss of their home/property.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MtnRV
Back
Top Bottom