Refueling...Fifth Wheel Towing

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bhughes8

This may be a basic question but, I am about to go on one of the longer trips that I have done in our fifth wheel and of course, refueling will be a necessity. So my question is, do truck stops have regular (unleaded) fuel at the truck islands or do I have to continue threading my way amongst the regular pumps?

The truck stops I have been at on my travels only had diesel at the truck portion of the fueling islands. I'm thinking you will be going to the regular gas fuel islands. (Or maybe trade for a diesel........ ;)

Truck lanes are diesel and def from what I have seen maybe there are some.  I have a diesel and double tow at 63' long so I usually go to the truck lanes. When not double towing we look for places with the lanes parallel to the building instead of those where there is little room between the building and pumps or where vehicles park in front of the store.  I also lean towards filling up often even when I still have a good deal of fuel as it's less stressful. I'm not into squandering money but convenience far outweighs price.

If you have a good idea of your stops you can sometimes use Google earth to check out the layout in advance. I like to use that feature because even truck stops will have signs that are blocked by bushes or somewhat poorly positioned while trying to make quick decisions and someone is right on your tail. I also find Earth very helpful for places like Walmart etc as some of them have widely varying layouts. Some are wide open and some have a lot of small islands where you must take up both lanes when turning.

Unleaded is not usually found in the truck(semi) fuel lanes.    Flying J has RV friendly fuel pump with generally easy into and out.    A lot of your larger fuel stations often have big enough lanes to get into and out.  Look for Walmart, the end pump at the fuel station in front are generally easier to fuel at.  Food store such a Kroger, Fry's, or Meijer's often will have stations that are easier to get in and out.    I will try to get the outside lane and look for my exit before I pull in.
That being said, a couple of time the DW had to spot me so I could back out.

Wi1dBi11

Welcome to the forum.  You need regular gas pumps.  Look for the outside ones or you may be in a little bit of trouble. I had a 2500 Silverado gas a few years back with a FW, it was not easy sometimes.  Once you are approaching 1/4 tank is time to start looking or you may be in trouble, I know as I have been there.

Thanks everyone! You all have some very good ideas. I tried google earth and spotted about 4 places along the way. I guess I was just hopeful that I could find an easier way.

Don't know how long you've had your FW, but do you know your unit's height when hooked up to go? You should find that out, if you don't know it already, measuring from the highest point (the AC covers) PLUS 6" for 'comfort' and post it on your inside mirror as a reminder of where you can fit that rig when fueling or the bridge height sign that warns "11'6" clearance ahead"

Great point McKannick
I pulled into a small town station one time that just didn't look tall enough.  I pulled in a ways and climbed the ladder and realized it would not make it. About that time a young gal came out and said that the day before some guy had smashed the lights two lanes over. It seems like they would put a height sign on them if they are lower than normal. I was in another station where I had to move over to the center enough to straddle between lights that I would have hit with my ac. I'm at 12' 10". I also made a sticker for my dashboard.

A couple more tips. 
We try to stop for a rest break every couple of hours.  Every other stop we'll make it a fuel stop. Usually, we're at about 1/2 full when we stop.   

The other tip is when you are at were you are spending some time at a campground and the 5'r is unhooked, fill your truck the day before you are leaving. Since the trailer is at the camp grounds, it'll be easier to get around.

Wi1dBi11

I am glad you all pointed out the height limit. I made sure to measure before I left. The first refueling stop I made was at the TA in Tallulah, LA. They had the height posted on the pump cover and it was 12'2". Too low for me. I had my wife spot and I was able to pull the truck up enough for the hose to reach without the trailer hitting the cover. I had plenty of room behind me to back out. Thanks for pointing this out to me! It likely helped keep the trip from being ruined at the first stop.

Using the outside island is a great tip. Don't even try going on the inside if you can avoid it. Remember how wide your trailer is? It will most likely block 4 pumps on a inside island. If you must fine but people don't like that much. But most importantly plan out your exit when pulling in. Don't stress about the guy behind you because you are going slow. He can wait!

skeeter

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
7199michael
Back
Top Bottom