Trailer handling question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

John97031

Okay finally pulled the new trailer and wasn't crazy about the ride. We have a 2017 Ram 2500 sportsman 4x4 diesel and a Jayco 28bhbe trailer with an Ezi Lift WDH. The hitch was set up by Camping World (I know, but they knew more than I did). The tech would have liked another inch lower on the drop but it was at the bottom. Driving hone it had a constant push pull feel to it. My wife hated it and I didn't really ejoy it. No scales around to test tongue weight. At least not till out next road trip. The tech felt that weight in the storage in the front of the trailer and some bed weight ( such as the kayaks and bicycles we will be carrying) would solve this. But after the ride home I'm not sure. Does this sound like too little tongue weight and the need to lower the ball another notch? Or is this normal?

John97031 said:
Okay finally pulled the new trailer and wasn't crazy about the ride. We have a 2017 Ram 2500 sportsman 4x4 diesel and a Jayco 28bhbe trailer with an Ezi Lift WDH. The hitch was set up by Camping World (I know, but they knew more than I did). The tech would have liked another inch lower on the drop but it was at the bottom. Driving hone it had a constant push pull feel to it. My wife hated it and I didn't really ejoy it. No scales around to test tongue weight. At least not till out next road trip. The tech felt that weight in the storage in the front of the trailer and some bed weight ( such as the kayaks and bicycles we will be carrying) would solve this. But after the ride home I'm not sure. Does this sound like too little tongue weight and the need to lower the ball another notch? Or is this normal?

Push pull? Do you have much towing experience?

I find all trailers seem to do that because any road irregularities are affecting to tv different than the trailer resulting in some amount.

Lynx0849 said:
Push pull? Do you have much towing experience?

I find all trailers seem to do that because any road irregularities are affecting to tv different than the trailer resulting in some amount.

Well drove an 18 wheeler for about 2 years (long haul) but other than that no. I do know towing a 1500 pound trailer behind my 1500 ram was day and night different than this. Was unable to relax driving over 50 moh on the freeway.

I can't help you with the fix, but there is something definitely wrong.
I have towed four different weight and length trailers over the past twenty years and never have experienced your "push/pull" problem.

After your trailer is hitched to the truck stand off to the side and see if they are completely in the same plane (parallel) to each other. if the front end of your trailer is higher that could cause your problem

Jack L

That truck should easily handle that TT so I'd definitely check the setup. The dealer's tech has to guess at what a fully loaded TV+TT will look like and they can get it wrong. When I got my current TT they did and when we started our 1st trip I had to stop in and get it re-done fully loaded (fortunately they are close to my house).

I'd load up the TV and TT like you will (or close to it) and check the level of the TV and TT by measuring at the fenders (on level ground). Then check the WDH set-up against the manufacturers guidelines (available online) -- if the ball were too low then they could have over-tightened the WDH to level it and taken too much weight off the rear of your TV which would give you push.

I'd get the truck and trailer loaded as I expect to use them and then adjust the WD and hitch for the actual tongue weight.

A "push-pull" is probably indicative of insufficient tongue weight, but that can easily happen with an empty trailer. On the other hand, dealer techs often do not do a good job of hitch set-up. If you carefully follow the instructions that come with the WD, you can almost sure do a better job once the trailer is loaded.

Gary RV_Wizard said:
I'd get the truck and trailer loaded as I expect to use them and then adjust the WD and hitch for the actual tongue weight.

A "push-pull" is probably indicative of insufficient tongue weight, but that can easily happen with an empty trailer. On the other hand, dealer techs often do not do a good job of hitch set-up. If you carefully follow the instructions that come with the WD, you can almost sure do a better job once the trailer is loaded.

Thanks Gary, my gut was telling me the same thing. Especially after he told me he would have liked it one notch lower but that was the bottom rung. I was going to go to my local Truck accessory store and see if they have a shank with a longer drop.

Also curious. My truck has class 5 hitch and since the WDH is a class 4 hitch the adapter had to be used. Just wondering if that adds extra play..

If you paid them to set up the hitch I would take it back and insist they give you the proper drop shank. After all that is what you paid for.  Take a tape measure with you to a flat parking lot and measure the front and back of the frame from the ground. It should be within 3/4 of an inch. Slightly nose down is better than slightly nose up but if less than an inch it will be ok at first. After you get the weight bars properly adjusted you may need to go up or down one hole on the shank to get the trailer level again.

Usually the instructions will say to measure the front fender height without the trailer attached and then again with trailer but no bars, (or chains), hooked up and then with the bars hooked up it should be about halfway between those two measurements. If the trailer is mostly empty then try to get it closer to the no trailer measurement. Just don't go lower than the no trailer fender height.

The dealer set mine up poorly as well. lots of trailer sway on the ride home.  Once it was adjusted properly it rides like a dream. Took about an hour to get it right.

Towing my Bobcat trailer (16? wood deck) empty with my 1500 gives me some chucking but it has a bit over 300 lb of tongue weight. With the bobcat loaded it tows much smoother. I have not been able to weigh it loaded though.

Dingram said:
Fill your fresh water tank and tow it.

I respectfully disagree with this advice.  My friends and I only tow with water for very short distances when necessary.  Otherwise there is too much sway in the TT because the water tank(s) are not baffled, all the tanks are behind the center of the axles, which counteracts tongue weight, and the tank is not secured axially.  Too much weight, too much slosh, too much movement.
Might want to check the specifics of your TT.

I respectfully disagree with MikeNNRV and strongly agree with Dingram.  My TT tows much more smoothly when the water tank is full.  I think the water weight dampens the spring effect from the suspension.  I have never experienced any type of sloshing effects.  The added bonus is having water available for pit stops, late night arrivals and other scenarios.

Side note, when in doubt, Gary RV Wizard is like the EF Hutton (sp?) for RVs...we should listen.

With tanks behind the axle, water may reduce the hitch weight too much, i.e. below 10%.  This will cause problems. 
If the tanks are above or forward of the axles, it should improve towing.

Maybe both are right??

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
freetoroam
Back
Top Bottom