EPDM Coatings
rvupgradestore.com Composet Products Custom Yacht Interiors

Author Topic: Power Cords/Adapters  (Read 904 times)

kportra

• ---
Power Cords/Adapters
« on: March 21, 2018, 04:23:29 PM »
We have never camped at a site with power, but have a couple plans this summer to do that.  Our trailer is 30 Amp.  We have the adapter to be able to plug into an extension cord coming from our house.  Do I need any other type of adapter in case I end up at a 50 amp site or a 20 amp site (is that the same as a house?).

Thanks in advance!
2017 Heartland Prowler Lynx 18LX
2006 Dodge Ram 1500
Big Sky Country

Tom

• Administrator
  • ---
  • Celebrating 25 years of The RV Forum online.
    • RV Forum web site
Re: Power Cords/Adapters
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2018, 04:28:43 PM »
It's unlikely you'll stay somewhere with 50A service that doesn't also have 30A. I believe I've seen it once in over 30 years. Others' experiences might be different.
Tom.  Need help? Click the Help button in the toolbar above.

sadixon49

• ---
  • Fishers, Indiana
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2018, 04:35:58 PM »
I bought a 50 to 30 amp adapter thinking I might need it, so far it hasn't been out of the storage bin. As Tom said, I have yet to find a site with 50A service that doesn't also have a 30A receptacle.

Yes, your house adapter will work with a 20A receptacle.
steve
2017 Jayco Redhawk 26XD
E-450 Ford, 6.8 V-10
EEZRV TPMS

kportra

• ---
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2018, 04:37:33 PM »
Thanks!  I knew the answer would be pretty straight-forward.  Just didn't know...
2017 Heartland Prowler Lynx 18LX
2006 Dodge Ram 1500
Big Sky Country

Kevin Means

• Forum Staff
  • ---
    • Tactical Flying
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2018, 04:38:02 PM »
Your 15 amp adapter will work fine with the 15 or 20 amp recepticals found in power pedestals, and like Tom said, it's highly unlikely that you'll encounter a power pedestal that doesn't have a 30 amp receptical if it has a 50 amp receptical. I've never come across one.

Kev
2011 Winnebago Tour 42QD
Towing a Jeep Rubicon Unlimited LJ
RVI Brake 2, Minder TM-66 TPMS, 960 watts of solar
(Can't wait to spend more time RVing)
Lakeside, California

Rene T

• Forum Staff
  • ---
  • Every day is payday and every payday I have off
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2018, 05:30:34 PM »
I would get a 50 to 30 Amp adapter and plug into the 50 Amp outlet.  That 30 Amp outlet would have probably been used much more than the 50 and the electrical prongs inside the outlet may be in rough shape.  The 50 would be in better shape because of less use.
Rene, Lucille & co-pilot Buddy
AKA  Pep N Mem
2011 Chevy Duramax 2500 HD 4X4
2011 Montana High Country 343RL
From the Granite State of NH
& Florida Snowbird in Lakeland FL

Isaac-1

• ---
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2018, 05:50:10 PM »
Like the others have said most 50 amp sites also have a 30 amp outlet, though I have seen ones where the 30 amp outlet was damaged or missing (taped over with duct tape)
2002 Safari Trek 2830

svrapture

• ---
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2018, 05:52:09 PM »
I agree with Rene - as a matter of fact, just a month or so ago we had a problem with the 30 amp breaker being soft and popping several times. I broke out my 50 amp converter and solved the problem.

kdbgoat

• ---
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2018, 06:01:06 PM »
X3 with what Rene said. If I trip a breaker, I would much rather trip my main inside than have to go outside to reset a breaker.
I know you believe you understand what you think I said,
But I am not sure you realize what you heard is not what I meant

2016 Leprechaun 319DS

Old_Crow

• ---
  • Former Phantom Fixer
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2018, 06:46:15 PM »
I'm at a park right now that when I plugged my surge gaurd into the 30 amp plug I got a reverse polarity light.  Dug out the dog bone and plugged into the 50 amp plug and got 3 green lights.
Wally Crow
Retired 30 year ASE Master Auto Tech
Y2K Bounder 36S F53
'03 Jeep Wrangler Sahara

Patnsuzanne

• ---
« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2018, 07:04:52 PM »
The city-run campground on the river in Little Rock is 50 amp only. They advised us as such when we made reservations there and they were right. 50 amp only. They had the adapter for sale in the office, but we already had our own. As others have stated, weíve used it a few times when the 30 amp post was iffy.
Venture Sporttrek 27RL
2016 Toyota Tundra extended cab
5.7 V8
Equalizer WD hitch
Tekonsha P3
Eez TPMS

HappyWanderer

• ---
« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2018, 08:19:08 PM »
We got caught without an adapter once, and there wasn't a place to purchase one within miles. Were fortunate to borrow one from another camper.

We have reservations for July at a place with only 50 amps. Having a full set of adapters is cheap insurance against disappointment.
WARNING: This post may contain a chemical known to the State of California to cause cancer, or birth defects or other reproductive harm.

Tom

• Administrator
  • ---
  • Celebrating 25 years of The RV Forum online.
    • RV Forum web site
« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2018, 10:09:42 PM »
Quote from: HappyWanderer
Were fortunate to borrow one from another camper.

The one place we found with only 50A, I loaned one of my 50/30 adapters to another couple. Was that you?  ;D A small campground somewhere in ID. Must have been approx 10 years ago. They left early the following morning, and left the adapter on our doorstep.
Tom.  Need help? Click the Help button in the toolbar above.

scottydl

• Admin assist
  • ---
  • Central IL
« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2018, 10:56:11 PM »
Well this thread has convinced me to pick up a 50-to-30 dogbone to have ready just in case.  Both of my rigs have been 30A but as you all proved... better to have it when you need it.
Scott, wife, 3 boys... and the dog
- 2008 Forest River Wildwood 32BHDS
- 1995 Chevrolet Suburban C2500 tow vehicle
- 1994 Thor Residency motorhome... owned 2007-2012

HappyWanderer

• ---
« Reply #14 on: March 23, 2018, 06:09:53 AM »
The one place we found with only 50A, I loaned one of my 50/30 adapters to another couple. Was that you?  ;D A small campground somewhere in ID. Must have been approx 10 years ago. They left early the following morning, and left the adapter on our doorstep.

Nope, that happened in South Carolina. After we purchased an adapter, we loaned it to a family in Iowa that was in need.

What goes around, comes around!
WARNING: This post may contain a chemical known to the State of California to cause cancer, or birth defects or other reproductive harm.

Rene T

• Forum Staff
  • ---
  • Every day is payday and every payday I have off
« Reply #15 on: March 23, 2018, 07:16:39 AM »
Well this thread has convinced me to pick up a 50-to-30 dogbone to have ready just in case.  Both of my rigs have been 30A but as you all proved... better to have it when you need it.

Progressive Industries sells the adapters. I have both. 50 to 30 and 30 to 50. I opened one up at one time and found they are well constructed. After seeing how they're designed, I would advise anyone to buy these before a standard dog bone adapter.

http://www.progressiveindustries.net/30-50-adapter
http://www.progressiveindustries.net/50-30adapter

Update: They are a little pricey but worth it to be especially if you're running AC's, toasters, hair dryers, microwave etc..  I've seen cheap dog bone adapters get real hot to a point of possibly starting on fire. I won't take the chance. 
« Last Edit: March 23, 2018, 08:02:00 AM by Rene T »
Rene, Lucille & co-pilot Buddy
AKA  Pep N Mem
2011 Chevy Duramax 2500 HD 4X4
2011 Montana High Country 343RL
From the Granite State of NH
& Florida Snowbird in Lakeland FL

camperAL

• ---
  • Back Into RV'ing
« Reply #16 on: March 23, 2018, 07:32:28 AM »
I bought a 50 to 30 amp adapter thinking I might need it, so far it hasn't been out of the storage bin. As Tom said, I have yet to find a site with 50A service that doesn't also have a 30A receptacle.

Yes, your house adapter will work with a 20A receptacle.

Greetings Kportra and All,

My very first trip and I had to go buy a 50 to 30 amp adapter because there were no 30 amp sites!! So much easier to have it on hand just in case or you'll be driving around trying to find one (which will cost a lot more than the adapter).

As Rene T said, also great to have if the 30 amp power is woren out from use, it offers another way to have power. Don't leave home without one!
CamperAL (Indiana)
(2006 Coachmen Mirada 290 KS )

scottydl

• Admin assist
  • ---
  • Central IL
« Reply #17 on: March 23, 2018, 07:37:39 AM »
As Rene T said, also great to have if the 30 amp power is woren out from use, it offers another way to have power.

Now that we've been discussing this, I also remember someone mentioning in the past that 30A outlets may fluctuate and sometimes only offer high 20's in amperage.  The 50A on the other hand, when stepped down to 30A with the adapter, is likely always going to give you the full 30 with room to spare.
Scott, wife, 3 boys... and the dog
- 2008 Forest River Wildwood 32BHDS
- 1995 Chevrolet Suburban C2500 tow vehicle
- 1994 Thor Residency motorhome... owned 2007-2012

Old_Crow

• ---
  • Former Phantom Fixer
« Reply #18 on: March 23, 2018, 07:46:52 AM »
The city-run campground on the river in Little Rock is 50 amp only. They advised us as such when we made reservations there and they were right. 50 amp only. They had the adapter for sale in the office, but we already had our own. As others have stated, weíve used it a few times when the 30 amp post was iffy.

Which campground is this? Will be back at Maumelle in the next day or so.
Wally Crow
Y2K Bounder 36S F53
'03 Jeep Wrangler Sahara

camperAL

• ---
  • Back Into RV'ing
« Reply #19 on: March 23, 2018, 08:05:49 AM »
Hi scottydl,

As you mentioned the fluctuating, that was my experience at the place we stayed at!! Power went off four or five times on the 30 amp service! We had the progressive unit and I believe that saved us. Might have not done any damage that time, but could have or could have the next time we would have been camped in another area. I believe the Progressive unit save us some real trouble.

I may adopt hooking into the 50 amp from now on when available to step it down to 30.
CamperAL (Indiana)
(2006 Coachmen Mirada 290 KS )

_Rusty_

• ---
« Reply #20 on: March 23, 2018, 08:23:16 AM »
We are still waiting to take delivery on our unit, so I cannot say for sure about anything but....

The 50 amp service in my user manual shows 120/240 input to the RV, then SPLIT to the two circuits in the panel.  Can I ASSUME that a 50 to 30 adapter would only provide 120 v to both sides of the panel inside the RV (but be the same phase)?  This being said, a 50 to 30 adapter could possible only provide 25 amps to the RV.  Would that be a correct assumption?
bill & ilean
2004 Tiffen Allegro Bay 37db
Workhorse 8.1/Allison 1000
Near Punxsutawney, PA
(for now)

Gary RV_Wizard

• Forum Staff
  • ---
  • RVer Emeritus
« Reply #21 on: March 23, 2018, 09:06:25 AM »
We workkamped at a park that had 50A only power outlets and have visited two others. They all had 50/30 adapters available for loan or very low rent.
Gary
--------------
Gary Brinck
Summers: Black Mountain, NC
Home: Ocala National Forest, FL

John From Detroit

• ---
  • ^My New Home^
    • Diabetics Forum
« Reply #22 on: March 23, 2018, 10:21:16 AM »
Oh, One nice campground (parts wise) is Thousand Trails Indian Lake (Batesville IN)

If you need a part.  the nearest RV dealer... Across the road, literally across the road.

NOTE:  Other than that I make no recommendation on the CG..  (For or against) but the nearest RV dealer and parts place.. Across the road is NICE.
Nothing adds excitement like something that is none of your business
My Home is where I park it.

Alaskansnowbirds

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #23 on: March 23, 2018, 07:28:19 PM »
We are still waiting to take delivery on our unit, so I cannot say for sure about anything but....

The 50 amp service in my user manual shows 120/240 input to the RV, then SPLIT to the two circuits in the panel.  Can I ASSUME that a 50 to 30 adapter would only provide 120 v to both sides of the panel inside the RV (but be the same phase)?  This being said, a 50 to 30 adapter could possible only provide 25 amps to the RV.  Would that be a correct assumption?

If your RV is 50amp you don't need an adapter. If you're somewhere where there is only 30amp service then you need a 30 to 50 adapter. In this case the one 30amp leg is jumped across both legs of the 50amp cable feed and you are correct that you have one 120v feed. You are limited to 30amps.

In the 50 to 30 adapter, ONE LEG of the 50 amp is connected to the one leg 30 amp going into your RV.
Because you're connected to the 50 amp you will have 50 amps available on the park end of your power cable. But you will only have 30 amps available in your RV because that is all the master breaker in your power panel will allow.

Clear as mud?  :-\
Don & Peg
Alaska/Arizona
Currently located here.
Weather at Camp Verde, AZ.

Patnsuzanne

• ---
« Reply #24 on: March 23, 2018, 09:01:52 PM »
Old Crow:  The Little Rock Park was the Riverside RV Park. Itís right on the river at the pedestrian bridge over to the big park with the Clinton Library.  Itís only positive is location, Iím afraid. Just a sand and gravel lot with hook ups. No shade and units are jammed in slide out to canopy. No picnic tables or fire rings at the sites.  It worked for our short visit for a wedding, but we wouldnít stay there again.
Venture Sporttrek 27RL
2016 Toyota Tundra extended cab
5.7 V8
Equalizer WD hitch
Tekonsha P3
Eez TPMS

Old_Crow

• ---
  • Former Phantom Fixer
« Reply #25 on: March 24, 2018, 05:28:09 AM »
Old Crow:  The Little Rock Park was the Riverside RV Park. Itís right on the river at the pedestrian bridge over to the big park with the Clinton Library.  Itís only positive is location, Iím afraid. Just a sand and gravel lot with hook ups. No shade and units are jammed in slide out to canopy. No picnic tables or fire rings at the sites.  It worked for our short visit for a wedding, but we wouldnít stay there again.

Oh, yeah, I've seen that place.  I don't blame you.  Next time try and get in at Maumelle park.  It's a COE park on the west side, not far from the 430 freeway and right on the river. 
$12/night with the senior pass, and so quiet you wouldn't believe it's that close to a major city.
Wally Crow
Y2K Bounder 36S F53
'03 Jeep Wrangler Sahara

captaindomon

• ---
« Reply #26 on: March 29, 2018, 04:20:13 PM »
We got caught without an adapter once, and there wasn't a place to purchase one within miles. Were fortunate to borrow one from another camper.

We have reservations for July at a place with only 50 amps. Having a full set of adapters is cheap insurance against disappointment.

It also means you can buy a nice quality adapter that you want, instead of spending 200% over market value at the RV park office for a horrible cheap one.