Another newcomer here--towing with 2002 Chevy Tahoe

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

betc

Hi to all and thanks for all the info we have gleaned so far from RV Forum Community.  We purchased a 2017 Passport Ultra Lite 2520RL TT this summer but have yet to take it farther than from dealer to our storage facility. Our goal has been to snowbird Husband and I have a 2002 Chevy Tahoe Z71, 4 WD, V8, 5.3L. Our concern is about tow capacity of the Tahoe and general payload estimate for a couple with two small pets. The spec max trailer weight with a weight distribution hitch (we have one) for our vehicle is given as three weights... 7400, 8100, and 6400 lbs. Why the difference and which weight should we use? Our trailer has a dry weight of 4930 lbs. and a hitch weight of 550 lbs. The GVWR for the trailer is 7000 lbs. Our question is do we combine the hitch weight and dry weight before adding payload weight? We're new to this and wonder if 1000 lbs is too light an estimate to carry our stuff. Thanks for your feedback!

WELCOME TO THE FORUM!

Thank you for asking.  For now, I will ignore what the payload number is and concentrate on what must be included.

The camper dry wt and hitch wt are useless except for the trip home.  When you get it packed for the trip, the weight will be much closer to the 7000# GVWR.  The hitch wt MUST be at least 10% of the ACTUAL camper weight or towing will be a nightmare.  Your real hitch wt will probably be between 700# and 800#.

Your payload must include the actual hitch wt (use 800# for now) + weight of the WD hitch (80#?), and all passengers, pets and cargo in the Tahoe.

Now Payload.  You will not have a yellow placard we often reference.  There will be a tire / weights placard that will include the GVWR for the Tahoe.  Take it somewhere and get the Tahoe weighed with a full tank of gas.  GVWR minus actual wt = Payload.  You may add this much weight to reach the max load for the vehicle.  Note that anything in the Tahoe when it was weighed is already included, and need not be added again when you add up the numbers above.

This method is the most accurate method as it does include the weight of all options and accessories. The chart numbers you reference assume a base model vehicle with no options except max tow, one 150# driver and a full gas tank.  No other passengers and no cargo at all.  They claim they make a Tahoe that can pull that much weight.  They DO NOT claim your Tahoe can tow that much!

The multiple numbers are for different configurations - which engine, rear end ratio, 2 or 4 WD, etc.

I hope this helps!  Keep asking questions!

Grashley,
Thank you very much for your response.  It was helpful!

I have been looking at info on the forum since we bought the trailer and have had deepening doubts about using the Tahoe (which we already had) to pull this trailer.  I am also concerned about the wheel base of 116" for handling the Passport trailer at highway speeds and various wind conditions.  Also, passing through mountain/hilly areas from Indiana to Fl. and heading out west for other travels next year. 

Of course, the dealer said we would be fine towing with the Tahoe and so my husband thought that we would be....that was his question we posted yesterday.  Looks like we will be doing research on trucks now to tow our Passport, though we would have preferred an SUV!

Thanks again for making us feel welcome!   

Suggested reading for your husband:

http://www.rvforum.net/SMF_forum/index.php/topic,90933.0.html

If you can find a used Tahoe / Suburban 2500, which is on a ? ton chassis, it should be capable of pulling your camper.  I'm not sure when they were discontinued, but ones the age of your Tahoe were made.  A properly equipped ? ton Crew Cab pickup with a cap will almost replicate your Tahoe with a higher payload.  5 or 6 passenger, lots of cargo space, etc.

grashley said:
Suggested reading for your husband:

http://www.rvforum.net/SMF_forum/index.php/topic,90933.0.html

If you can find a used Tahoe / Suburban 2500, which is on a ? ton chassis, it should be capable of pulling your camper.  I'm not sure when they were discontinued, but ones the age of your Tahoe were made.  A properly equipped ? ton Crew Cab pickup with a cap will almost replicate your Tahoe with a higher payload.  5 or 6 passenger, lots of cargo space, etc.

Betc,

I have a TT a little bigger than yours. I started with a 1500 Suburban but it wasn't enough vehicle. I bought a year 2000, 2500 Suburban, and it tows well and carries a bigger load. We typically haul with 4 adults and 2 kids, a dog, and a few other items in the back. We are within all published weights and feel safe with the vehicle. I would definitely get the bigger engine for what ever model TV you get. My Suburban has the 8.1L engine, very hard to find, but then I do live in Colorado. The mountains here are a little bigger than the ones you will encounter from Indiana to Fl.

Thank you for your suggestions.  We have been looking for a 3/4 ton Suburban and have just run across a 2002 Chevy Avalanche 2500 which we think would work for us--We want to run it pass you experienced folks to get opinions please! 

It is 4 WD, just over 100,000 miles.  The 2nd, current owner has had it for about a year and has babied and outfitted it well for towing a TT.  In his reply to our inquiry, he said "It is set to tow, Tekonsha P3 brake controller, air bags w/ on board compressor, new Curt trailer hitch etc etc."  We also spoke with him on the phone and it seems he has taken great care of it since he got it.  He put 2100 miles on it towing a 30' Jayco TT @ 8500 lbs.  He is getting a new diesel truck next year, which is why he is selling it.

It has always been garaged and is rust free for the most part.  Looks great in the pics and we plan on seeing it tomorrow.  We understand from reviews we have seen that it gets pretty bad gas mileage :-( Still, it seems like it would be a good, affordable option for us to pull our Passport Ultra Light @GVWR 7,000 lbs.  We would appreciate any feedback and advise before we make a move on it!

Thanks!

If that Avalanche 2500 has the 8.1L engine, it's tow rating will be at least 10,000 lbs and ought to handle your family and the Passport Ultralight fine.  If it's the 5.3L engine, the tow rating could be as low as 7100 lbs, i.e. short of your needs.  I think, though, that all 2500 Avalanches had the 8.1L V8.

Sorry, I forgot to mention that it does have the 8.1L V8 engine--

You are probably good.  My one check is the real payload.  It is too old for a yellow placard, so, if possible, get it weighed.  By definition, Payload = truck GVWR - Actual unloaded truck weight.

Remember, anything in the truck when weighed, like you, need not be included again in load calculations.

Congrats on doing your homework and finding the right truck!

Back
Top Bottom