Heavy mattress sizing struts

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

garyb1st

Custom ordered a mattress that will weigh about 90 lbs.  Current mattress is standard queen 80 x 60 x 6.  Weight unknown.  Will likely need to replace struts.  Anyone know how I determine appropriate strut size?  It's also possible we'll want to add a topper on the mattress.  If so, it could add another 15 to 20 lbs to the bed. 

I replaced my struts with the strongest I could find, 110# each if I recall. Much better but would still like more lift at the bottom.

Scott, were they the same length.  One of my concerns is placement.  If the replacement strut is longer or shorter, I'll have to move the attachment point.  If so, how do I determine that.  I've seen some explanations that require a fair amount of math.  Mine is pretty rusty. 

garyb1st said:
Scott, were they the same length.  One of my concerns is placement.  If the replacement strut is longer or shorter, I'll have to move the attachment point.  If so, how do I determine that.  I've seen some explanations that require a fair amount of math.  Mine is pretty rusty.

Yes, they were the same length. You may want to check with RVUpgrades.com (one of the forum sponsors) regarding replacement. They should be able to find a same length replacement that just snaps on the existing mounts (you?ll want to be sure to get the right design as there are a couple different types).

Re the math, I hear you. I gave up and just ordered the strongest I could get

If you move the bottom attaching points about 2" out.........it makes t easier to lift the bed.

cpaulsen said:
If you move the bottom attaching points about 2" out.........it makes t easier to lift the bed.

I think before you move it you?d have to be sure the struts weren?t already fully compressed when then bed is down

garyb1st said:
Would a longer strut do the same thing?

Yes, but again, you have to be sure there is room for the strut when fully compressed.

The problem with the strut setup is the geometry of the struts - when the bed is down the fully compressed struts provide very little vertical assistance in the first 12? or so of lift, then suddenly there?s plenty. I had hoped by going to the 110# struts lifting the bed would be a one handed operation. While it?s much better, it still takes a grunt to get it started (my SO can barely do it).

I was thinking about replacing my struts with one or two of these 12v linear actuators. It could lift it with someone laying on the bed. That would be cool. And shouldn't be to hard.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Linear-Actuator-18-inch-Stroke-Heavy-Duty-12-Volt-DC-200-Pound-Max-Lift-12V-/390708040507?epid=668048639&hash=item5af803933b:g:11EAAOxyi3FR0Pg~

skeeter

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
automedicmobile
Back
Top Bottom