RV Expenses

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

B737doc

I'm just now realizing how expensive this "other life" is now that we've had our motorhome a couple of months, so all of you that are "on the fence" about buying a used Motorhome, here's my experience thus far. 
After what I thought was a thorough inspection, I get a good look at the inside rear tires, they are beyond serviceable.  The front tires are new, but all 4 rear will need replacing.  Quoted price...$1100.  The ad valorem tax we had to pay to get a tag was $475, Previous owner says he got 10-12 mpg. After our first trip of 60 miles one way, we got 5.1 mpg, but we were pulling a trailer with 2 motorcycles. 
  The State parks here in Georgia are beautiful, but will cost you $32 per night IF you can find a spot.  This to me is price gouging, and think a fair price should be no more than $20 per night.  My propane tank reads just above 1/4, and I'm not sure how much it holds, but was quoted 3-4 dollars per pound.  We live quite close to Atlanta raceway and Talladega raceway, but their prices are well over $300 per weekend. Whether we love this hobby enough to keep paying thru the nose is yet to be determined,  The motorhome is very nice, and I love working on it, so we'll see! 

We have never owned a MH but we did fulltime in a 37' triple slide 5th wheel. That was from 1998-2004. We were destination campers. In other words, when on the road we never stayed the night in a CG. We stayed at rest stops, truck stops or Walmart. Diesel back then was about $.90 gallon and propane was much cheaper than today. But we also made less money too. Fast forward to today. We now own a very small TT that we tow with a small p/u. We are still destination campers staying at the aforementioned places while on the road. Campgrounds are getting a bit expensive. We paid $75 per night at Ft Wilderness inside Disney World. We thought it was worth it since we had our own bed, cooking facilities, etc. We took our grandkids to Six Flags in MD and stayed at Ft Meade in a military Fam Camp. $50 a night. A few weeks ago we went a State park in the Catskills in New York. $20 a night but no hookups. But we look at like this; average per night for a hotel is probably $100-$200 per night, eating 2 meals a day at restaurants is at least $50-$60 a day for two folks (and I guarantee the meals we cook at our campsite are much better), we don't have to lug bags in and out of a hotel every day. If you just started RVing and are this disappointed, maybe you should look for a new hobby.

it is only going to get more expensive. if you can't stand the heat get out of the kitchen now.
your first loss is the smallest,sorry may not like what i am saying but camping will never get cheaper and a 25 year old rig will continue to nickel and dime you.

We could fly anywhere in the country and stay in 5 star hotels, and it would be cheaper than owning a motorhome. However, we have no desire to do so.

B737doc, propane costs $3-$4 a GALLON. A gallon of propane weighs about 4.5 pounds.

You don't do this because is cheap, as it is not, but you want it and choose it.  I spend as much camping in my MH as I do pay for my condo and related expenses.

Good feedback. Many people think RVing is a cheap way to travel or live, no doubt due to the propaganda circulated by the RVIA.

This to me is price gouging, and think a fair price should be no more than $20 per night.

Why is it fair for the rest of the state's taxpayers to subsidize your stay in a luxurious RV? Sorry, but even $32/night is inexpensive for a full-hook-up campsite at todays prices. Similar private campgrounds will exceed $40.

The 4 rear tires on my [former] coach cost about $2100 for a set. Sounds like yours are a bargain.

Doc, you picked a doozy to get your 'RV expenses' learning curve started! If you like to travel around and have your bikes handy, a "toy hauler" camping trailer would have been the way I would have suggested to explore the RV life. Most of those rigs would be towable by a 3/4 ton pickup and could be found pretty cheap used and in good condition. But, you may get used to it.
By the way, state parks, no matter what state, are going to be 'basic' in commodities (power and water, with a dump station) and about as low a fee per night as you'll ever find. Some fancy 'resort' campgrounds will come close to motel nightly fees, but you get a lot more as well. 

Georgia has a lovely park system and many sites are easily as luxurious as an upscale campground. Some GA parks even have upscale resort hotels, golf courses, etc.

Everything you mentioned does indeed sound pretty standard as far as RV expenses go.  ;)  Always make sure you shop around on repair items and fuel costs.  And, the previous owner NEVER got 10-12 mpg's in that Class A (unless that was coasting downhill).  I guarantee you that!  7-8 is more typical for a large gas rig, and 5-6 for towing heavy loads and/or big hills as you experienced.

There are folks here that span the whole range of RV camping. Everything from BLM land and Walmarts,  to 5 star Class  A resorts. Most of us fall somewhere in between.  You get to choose where your nitch is. It's tough finding many places with $20 a night fees. Often they are dry camping, or maybe  30 amp electric. If your lifestyle is tht you  don't need hookups, you can find those more inexpensive places to stay. As soon as you start adding amenities, the costs go up for the campground operators. And many folks also want free Wifi on top of the usual utilities. All that has to be paid by someone, as well as wages for whomever keeps the place clean and serviceable. 

As already mentioned, it's not a cheap way of life, but it is always an adventure. 

Where are you finding $20 per night sites?  That's on the low end of parks we have visited, usually Army corps of engineers parks.  State parks are a few dollars more.  The nicer parks are $30+

$20 or less per night with any hookups is hard to find, but not impossible, just generally don't expect nice scenery for that price, though if you go up to $25 you are likely to start finding COE campgrounds with water and electric hookups, state park camp grounds, etc.  Some of which have various discount passes available, that may be worth buying into.

$20 a night?  I assume these spots have some type of hook-ups. No doubt the roads are maintained.  Probably some employees.  Perhaps some amenities and activities.  Should taxpayers subsidize all that?

Nope,it's not cheaper to RV.  It's about taking the pets,not sleeping on the ground or some bed bugged mattress.  Sitting around a campfire.  Not relying on restaurants.

Sorry it's not going as you hoped.

HappyWanderer said:
We could fly anywhere in the country and stay in 5 star hotels, and it would be cheaper than owning a motorhome. However, we have no desire to do so.

"5 Star" might be a stretch, but the point is well taken.  :)
We learned early on, that the RV lifestyle is not a money saver. $30-$40 buck a night is a bargain.
We've been to places that didn't work out. Pull in the slides and roll. For us, the versatility and comfort of your own home are worth it.

Greetings B737doc,

I guess it is all how you look at things. Four tires at $1100 will (should) go for 6 or 7 years, that is a cost of $39.29 per tire per year.
I purchased LP for my tank 12 gallons when it was half full for $16 ( roughly 26 pounds ) I am sure they tend to over charge a bit for RV'ers in certain places. Our average campground costs were $24.54 per night BUT we stayed for a month in one place and got discounts with FMCA and other clubs we are in. Cheapest stay was $12 per night and highest was $46. Some areas are just more expensive due to demand, and I think that is true of your area. Head out west and you can boondock for free. Stay in a spot for a week or month and cost goes down quite a bit.

Part of the cost is keeping your home on wheels serviced. The 6 plus week trip I took cost an average of $58.38 per day and that included eating. Divide that cost by two people and it comes down to $29.19 per day. I think that cost is reasonable. I haven't factored in maintenance costs but think $5 to $8 per day would be a reasonable cost.

I'd shop around for CG's, LP and other items you need to RV. I'd also look at it as a vacation you take that will cost you while on the road. There are so many advantages by being in your own home away from home. Places to see, people to meet and the enjoyment of your motorhome.

Wait until you have to replace your refrigerator if you think tires are expensive!  My last set of 6 tires cost $1,300, by the way.  And I recently spent $1,800 on brakes for front and back. 

If you are over 62, you can get a senior pass and stay half-price at a lot of COE campgrounds.  One of my favorites is Old Federal on Lake Lanier, which is not too far from where you are.  You will get water and electric, but no sewer for $15 per night there if you have a pass, but will have a gorgeous view right on the lake.  There are quite a few other COE campgrounds in Georgia--just check recreation.gov.  And shop around for propane.  I have paid as little as $1.99 per gallon and only have to refill mine about every 6-8 weeks depending on how cold it is.

Most of us travel in RVs because we like the lifestyle of having your own bed, bathroom, and furniture, and because we like not having to pack and unpack a suitcase or fly on cramped planes--not because it is cheaper than hotels and restaurants.  It is nice to pull over somewhere and be able to fix a meal without having to find a restaurant with decent food that you like.  Need a nap in the middle of the day? Your bed is right there.  And you will never forget anything because it is all with you--extra change of clothes, shoes, heavier jacket, boots, etc.

It certainly is NOT a cheap way to travel when you add repairs and maintenance costs, but the luxuries make up for it.  And as the others have said, sorry you did not research travel and camping costs better before you bought so you weren't so surprised. 

I am at best an occasional RVer, but what I have learned is that when traveling everything is an expense. Cheap travel, I don't think so. Convenient, no. But, I am in my own place, and I have my own bed, toilet and a handy shower. I don't stand in lines at airports, but I do get to wait through traffic and road construction delays. I don't have to mess with airport security but I do get to endure careless, thoughtless, and dangerous drivers.

With the expenses and other downsides of RVing compared to other forms of traveling...RVing wins hands down.

B737doc said:
  I'm just now realizing how expensive this "other life" is now that we've had our motorhome a couple of months, so all of you that are "on the fence" about buying a used Motorhome, here's my experience thus far. 

If you were expecting to "save money" owning and operating an RV, especially for very short periods, not sure what you were expecting.  Now I bought one 16 months ago, a 2008 Class with 32,000 miles on it at the time. I did a thorough inspection myself and found no issues as the tires (all 6) were 2 years and newer.  My out of pocket expenses have been for a new radiator which I bought and installed,  a complete transmission drain and refill which my truck mechanic did and I added cell booster system, a wifi booster system and TPMS system.  We took the RV to Arizona for 2 months in March and April (high season) which included renting a house for 28 days,  The total cost (of 70 days out) which included 2 months of car rental, the house rental, tickets to spring training games, other tickets for attractions, RV spots while traveling, all food, all gas, the 30 days at a RV park outside of Phoenix was approx $90/day.  I dare say, it would be tough to go to Arizona and find hotels, meals for 2 people and their pets for $90/day in March and April.  So when my friend asked me of RV'ing save us money, I gave him the numbers....

As first season RVers, we have been pleasantly surprised that the costs aren't quite as bad as we expected.  We've had good luck finding places around $30 per night or less, and since our rig is new, maintenance hasn't been much so far.  I usually cruise around 65-68 on the interstate, and we've managed an overall average, including genny time, of around 8.5 mpg. 

While we have seen a bit less overall costs compared to nightly hotels and meals out, we didn't necessarily get into this as a cost saving venture.  For us, it has been more about comfort, convenience and adventure, and I'm here to tell you that in each of those categories our expectations have been far exceeded!  We have quickly come to love the lifestyle and the somewhat decadent comfort of having our home with us.  After tent camping my whole life, it's a real treat to have the amenities and ease of a motorhome.  Perhaps that's tougher to quantify. 

For us, it really came home the first couple of mornings we woke to cold temps and pouring rain, and we were warm, dry and happy, with the kettle on the stove and no need to "suit up" to head to the restroom or have breakfast.  The Admiral and I looked at each other and both said "worth it!" 

Half tank of gas, $60.  Campsite, $28.  Groceries and a bottle of nice wine, $50.  All of the above comfort and happiness, PRICELESS!

Safe travels and downhill grades to you.  :D

Back
Top Bottom