RV Expenses

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Heli_av8tor said:
Bill N:  Your post pretty well describes us with our coach. Though it is hard not to get discouraged at times.

The failures have been coming faster than I anticipated but thankfully I've been able to deal with them at home and do all of the labor.

It's certainly been a learning experience and tuition is never free. 

Tom

Good post Tom and consider yourself lucky you can do all the labor.  That will save you a bunch.  I also consider that if I had bought a new or newer coach with monthly payments I would still not be free of maintenance and storage charges and of a lot of other maintenance expenses.  I just returned from a short camping  trip to a local campground where I  sat in a row of 5 coaches and the other four were all units that sold for a million dollars or more.  We all talked during the time we were there and we were all enjoying our coaches but several of the million dollar coach owners were also telling me  of big expenses they had too so that made me feel a lot better.  In actuality it is how much you can afford and don't trick yourself into believing that any RV will be expense free for any set amount of time.  By the way Tom, I cannot do most of my labor requirements so that $115 to $139 per hour adds up fast. 

Bill

I RV because I travel back and forth to my homes in Florida and NY. I don't like neighbors in hotels making noises, I really don't like the sound of hotel doors slamming at all ours of the night, I don't like sleeping in a bed that I'm sure has stories to tell, and my wife and I like to bring our Doberman with us. I also like travelling and seeing different areas and taking in the history. I never, ever thought it would save me money or be cheaper.

Owning and maintaining a motor home is not cheap, but the benefits far outweigh the faults. There are ways to save money. I learned how to do my own preventative maintenance. That saves about $1500 annually. This year ... at age 76 ... I stopped doing oil changes and lube jobs. I now have it waxed every two years ... mainly because it's stored indoors when not in use. In Florida a good waxing and cleaning runs between $400 and $600. I get it done at the Arizona RV park we visit for $225. RVING is a lifestyle. That alone makes it all worthwhile.

Well I certainly appreciate the feedback from everyone.  We have taken Ol Blue (aka the "Meth Lab") out now a couple of times and have really enjoyed it.  The tires are really not THAT bad.  We reverted back to the original antenna and get awesome reception, and the 35" flatscreen. I have learned EVERYTHING works and has been very well taken care of. The Ol' 454 responds like new with no leaks anywhere.  I would trust it to go anywhere!  Since then, I have been scouting COE parks and calculating how much these would cost in total for a week would be around $500 for a prime campsite 70 miles away.
  Prepping for winter now.  Will remove batteries, drain all tanks and lines, place tarp on roof. Tires have been priced and located and will be replaced prior to next trip.  No regrets at all, excited about next year!

Just remember when it comes to tires on motorhomes that a blow out often does thousands of dollars worth of body damage.

I can imagine!  We have both agreed that the tires on the rear will need replacement before we take it back out again. I've already located a shop near the house that will do it for around $1100.  We're just waiting for a few things.  We have been without a contract here at work for 5+ years and the Union has placed some conditions on a TA that would give members a high percentage of retro pay and a significant bump in pay.  I think this is mainly the reason we are still without a contract.  Our mediator walked out on negotiations in August saying there was no progress being made.  We are all hopeful on both sides. 

Back
Top Bottom