EPDM Coatings
rvupgradestore.com Composet Products Custom Yacht Interiors

Author Topic: RV Expenses  (Read 2284 times)

Wi1dBill

• ---
Re: RV Expenses
« Reply #30 on: October 11, 2017, 09:24:28 PM »
Living in general isn't cheap.   Figure out what your sticks and brick cost you. What you pay in real-estate taxes alone can cover campground rentals, figuring weekly/monthly rates.  Frankly, I've noticed that we spend less money snow birding, then when we stayed home.   4 months, water and sewer, 1st part of Jan through end of April in AZ, $1,500.00 plus electric (averages $60.00 a month) CableTV/Internet/Phone pkg. ($95.00 a month).  Under $20.00 a day and this is in a pretty decent park.

Wi1dBi11

KandT

• ---
« Reply #31 on: October 13, 2017, 07:45:45 PM »
I would have to ask why you bought an RV and especially a MH. When I was working an older co worker said he was going to retire and pull his 16' TT to Arizona for the winter. Some of the others laughed and sort of considered him a dirt bag. As I got about 5 years from retirement and started researching I visualized hitting the road from Wisconsin and mapped a days travel and searched fro an RV park in that area. To my surprise it was about $30 a night. At that rate it is obviously about $900 per month to pay by the night. At that point I concluded that anybody who can retire and do that and pay for everything else probably isn't a dirt bag.

https://freecampsites.net/#!Georgia&query=region    https://www.campendium.com/georgia

There definitely are "dirtbags" out there but I infrequently find it is due to the amount of money they have.  It does seem to be related to the amount of work they do and their integrity!
2005 Winnebago Vectra
American Car Dolly
2009 Accord Toad
It's not a problem.  It's a project!

Hammster

• ---
« Reply #32 on: October 14, 2017, 06:31:58 AM »
We also tend to look at the cost of buying your own food and cooking it in the rig vs going out to eat. We think, on average, you'll save money by eating in instead of having to eat all your meals out. A bowl of cereal in the morning, for example, costs next to nothing. Plus, no wasted gas to go and find a restaurant somewhere. Regarding lodging. We have estimated our lodging costs for this 7 week long trip at around $1200. Note that we actually only paid for about 4.5 weeks of actual lodging with the remaining 2.5 weeks free. So, 4.5 weeks at $1200. Yeah, I know, boondocking can save even more. I dare anyone to beat that at a decent hotel. And, then restaurant costs on top of that.
I think our biggest cost will be fuel. Anywhere from $50 to $85 per fillup depending on how far we drove that day. But, there were days where we didn't drive anywhere so no fuel was used or purchased. We'll have to figure that one out once we get home and look at all the receipts.
A few repairs to the trailer are awaiting us for when we get home, but I look at that the same as a house. Things break, or age, and need to get fixed. We've put this rig over some seriously bad stretches of road. Memphis, TN highways for example. Yikes was that ever a washboard of a road and we've come out fairly unscathed. Still a few more days on the road, though, so I hope I didn't just jinx it. LOL
2016 GMC Sierra 2500HD Denali. 6.6L Diesel. 4x4
Arctic Fox 22G.

Gary RV_Wizard

• Forum Staff
  • ---
  • RVer Emeritus
« Reply #33 on: October 14, 2017, 08:43:46 AM »
b737doc didn't get much sympathy here, but his expense report should be instructive to others considering the "RV good life".  Thanks for providing your real life expereinces!
Gary
--------------
Gary Brinck
Summers: Black Mountain, NC
Home: Ocala National Forest, FL

Bill N

• ---
« Reply #34 on: October 14, 2017, 10:26:19 AM »
After reading all of the responses it would appear the OP is not getting much sympathy.  I knew that buying a 12 year old Class A motorhome would result in what some call a Money Pit but it was what we could afford without monthly payments and it was in outstanding condition and had been well maintained as evidenced by its service records. 

My money pit forecast has come true in the past 3 years.  New tranny, ac compressor, side awning, new set of tires, water heater repair, towing equipment, etc, etc have not come cheap.  In fact they are approaching the initial cost of the coach itself but every time we step in it we fall in love with it all over.

Every time we pull into an interstate rest stop and know that we don't have to use a filthy restroom and can have a nice meal or snack right out of our own refrigerator we remember why we bought it.

Every time I look at our two cats and one dog who travel everywhere with us I know why I bought it.

Every time I hear the wife say how much she enjoys not having a ton of housework to do every day I know why I bought it.

Every time I park it in a campground near one of my sons or daughters homes across the country I know I will have a decent bed to sleep in and a safe place to stay at a very reasonable price.  Again, another reason why I bought it. 

As I age and develop more and more medical issues like COPD and arthritis I know it will be a challenge to keep it another year - then I step inside of it and instantly know why I bought it.  It is truly our home away from home and that is really another benefit.  It can be used as a second residence if something should happen to our primary home via weather, fire or any other disaster.  It is an expense but one we have learned to accept as the price of the enjoyment it provides.

Bill
« Last Edit: October 14, 2017, 10:28:39 AM by Bill N »
Bill & Joan N in Missouri
USAF (Ret)
2002 Winnebago Adventurer 35U
Workhorse W22, 8.1L Chevy V8
2013 Chevy Sonic Toad
Furbearers:  Heidi-17(Forever), Grace-10 & Squeak-4, Winnie - 6 months

Gary RV_Wizard

• Forum Staff
  • ---
  • RVer Emeritus
« Reply #35 on: October 14, 2017, 04:40:15 PM »
Sometimes buying an older "bargain" is a false economy, but it does have the advantage of allowing the cost of ownership to be spread out. At a loss of convenience, of course, since everybody hates roadside breakdowns and interrupted trips.

The biggest concern is for a newbie to buy an older rig and get surprised that repairs are both frequent and expensive. Especially at RV dealer prices.
Gary
--------------
Gary Brinck
Summers: Black Mountain, NC
Home: Ocala National Forest, FL

Heli_av8tor

• ---
« Reply #36 on: October 14, 2017, 05:50:26 PM »
Bill N:  Your post pretty well describes us with our coach. Though it is hard not to get discouraged at times.

The failures have been coming faster than I anticipated but thankfully I've been able to deal with them at home and do all of the labor.

It's certainly been a learning experience and tuition is never free. 

Tom
Tom & Theresa
2004 Pace Arrow 37C
Workhorse W22, 8.1 Vortec
2014 Honda CR-V Toad, Roadmaster -5 Base and tow bar
SMI Stay and Play Duo Brake system

Willandgiselarv

• ---
« Reply #37 on: October 14, 2017, 06:16:38 PM »
Yes, owning and maintaining an RV can be expensive..this year ran me 4500.00 and haven't used it yet. It is a second home on wheels in my case it's in front of my house ready to go as I'm in evacuation mode where I live.
I have 2 dogs and a wife that cannot get around and most of the shelters do not really want to see pets and finding a hotel is all booked.
My RV value just went up saving me the grief of where I can get to safety .
I have my valuables loaded and when it's time I have my wife, pets and valuables in a safe and cozy structure.
Thank God I have an RV, I have another home in SF but unfortunately I have people staying in it because they have lost their home.
Yes expenses may be high or normal to some the cheapest campground I have rented is 40.00
A night and I continue to look for those nice campgrounds.
Good luck and you know you only have one life so enjoy it.
2004 GB. Bellagio 38ft  3126E Allison 3060
2015 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk

SargeW

• Forum Staff
  • ---
  • Life is better on the road!
« Reply #38 on: October 14, 2017, 09:53:37 PM »
every time we step in it we fall in love with it all over.

Every time we pull into an interstate rest stop
 Every time I look at our dog who travel everywhere with us I know why I bought it.

Every time I hear the wife say how much she enjoys not having a ton of housework to do every day I know why I bought it.

Every time I park it in a campground near one of my sons another reason why I bought it. 

It can be used as a second residence  It is an expense but one we have learned to accept as the price of the enjoyment it provides.

Bill

Well said Bill!!
Marty--
2017 Tiffin Allegro Bus 40SP
Cummins ISL 450 HP/Powerglide chassis
Visit our new travel blog! http://www.mytripjournal.com/rvnchickTNG
Support your local Police Officer, Fire Fighter and Military!

Isaac-1

• ---
« Reply #39 on: October 14, 2017, 10:32:06 PM »
I think the important lesson to take from this thread is when we have people asking about the cost of older motorhomes, it is important to point out the costs in owning any coach of any age, both the fixed cost of insurance, storage, age related maintenance (tires, batteries, etc.) as well as cost to travel, fuel, camping, etc.

As to older coaches being money pits, I am sure some are, and am sure there will be maintenance with all of them, I paid just over $20,000 for a 15 year old class A coach last year, and in the first year of ownership I have spent around $6,500 on maintenance, updates, and upgrades, of which I would say $1,500 or so was mandatory and another $1,000-$1,500 was good idea for preventive maintenance.  The coach I bought had an original MSRP of $109,000 in 2001, inflation adjusted that is about $151,000 today, assuming 30% discount off MSRP for a new coach and we get about $106,000 in todays money, taking a difference from what I paid, we get $86,000 financed at 4% over 15 years, that is roughly $650 per month or $7,800 per year in value depreciation evened out over 15 year.  So as long as I can continue to operate the coach with an annual maintenance of under about $7,800 per year I see it as the better option than having bought new, though one must factor in something for general wear and tear, continued residual value, ....
2002 Safari Trek 2830

Bill N

• ---
« Reply #40 on: October 15, 2017, 06:58:28 AM »
Bill N:  Your post pretty well describes us with our coach. Though it is hard not to get discouraged at times.

The failures have been coming faster than I anticipated but thankfully I've been able to deal with them at home and do all of the labor.

It's certainly been a learning experience and tuition is never free. 

Tom

Good post Tom and consider yourself lucky you can do all the labor.  That will save you a bunch.  I also consider that if I had bought a new or newer coach with monthly payments I would still not be free of maintenance and storage charges and of a lot of other maintenance expenses.  I just returned from a short camping  trip to a local campground where I  sat in a row of 5 coaches and the other four were all units that sold for a million dollars or more.  We all talked during the time we were there and we were all enjoying our coaches but several of the million dollar coach owners were also telling me  of big expenses they had too so that made me feel a lot better.  In actuality it is how much you can afford and don't trick yourself into believing that any RV will be expense free for any set amount of time.  By the way Tom, I cannot do most of my labor requirements so that $115 to $139 per hour adds up fast. 

Bill
Bill & Joan N in Missouri
USAF (Ret)
2002 Winnebago Adventurer 35U
Workhorse W22, 8.1L Chevy V8
2013 Chevy Sonic Toad
Furbearers:  Heidi-17(Forever), Grace-10 & Squeak-4, Winnie - 6 months

Bagelboy

• ---
« Reply #41 on: October 20, 2017, 09:24:15 PM »
I RV because I travel back and forth to my homes in Florida and NY. I don't like neighbors in hotels making noises, I really don't like the sound of hotel doors slamming at all ours of the night, I don't like sleeping in a bed that I'm sure has stories to tell, and my wife and I like to bring our Doberman with us. I also like travelling and seeing different areas and taking in the history. I never, ever thought it would save me money or be cheaper.
2016 32' Holiday Rambler Vesta.                                                 2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee (Toad)

thomasamski

• ---
« Reply #42 on: October 31, 2017, 08:31:47 PM »
Owning and maintaining a motor home is not cheap, but the benefits far outweigh the faults. There are ways to save money. I learned how to do my own preventative maintenance. That saves about $1500 annually. This year ... at age 76 ... I stopped doing oil changes and lube jobs. I now have it waxed every two years ... mainly because it's stored indoors when not in use. In Florida a good waxing and cleaning runs between $400 and $600. I get it done at the Arizona RV park we visit for $225. RVING is a lifestyle. That alone makes it all worthwhile.
2011 Fleetwood Southwind pulling a 2010 Chevrolet HHR

B737doc

• ---
  • 1992 Challenger
« Reply #43 on: November 07, 2017, 03:45:36 PM »
    Well I certainly appreciate the feedback from everyone.  We have taken Ol Blue (aka the "Meth Lab") out now a couple of times and have really enjoyed it.  The tires are really not THAT bad.  We reverted back to the original antenna and get awesome reception, and the 35" flatscreen. I have learned EVERYTHING works and has been very well taken care of. The Ol' 454 responds like new with no leaks anywhere.  I would trust it to go anywhere!  Since then, I have been scouting COE parks and calculating how much these would cost in total for a week would be around $500 for a prime campsite 70 miles away.
   Prepping for winter now.   Will remove batteries, drain all tanks and lines, place tarp on roof. Tires have been priced and located and will be replaced prior to next trip.  No regrets at all, excited about next year!
1976 BMW R90/6 "Airhead"
2005 Triumph Bonneville "America"
1992 Challenger Motorcoach

Isaac-1

• ---
« Reply #44 on: November 07, 2017, 09:09:02 PM »
Just remember when it comes to tires on motorhomes that a blow out often does thousands of dollars worth of body damage.
2002 Safari Trek 2830

B737doc

• ---
  • 1992 Challenger
« Reply #45 on: November 10, 2017, 02:57:45 PM »
I can imagine!  We have both agreed that the tires on the rear will need replacement before we take it back out again. I've already located a shop near the house that will do it for around $1100.  We're just waiting for a few things.  We have been without a contract here at work for 5+ years and the Union has placed some conditions on a TA that would give members a high percentage of retro pay and a significant bump in pay.  I think this is mainly the reason we are still without a contract.  Our mediator walked out on negotiations in August saying there was no progress being made.   We are all hopeful on both sides. 
1976 BMW R90/6 "Airhead"
2005 Triumph Bonneville "America"
1992 Challenger Motorcoach

Hosted by Over The Network