Safe to run portable generator in pickup bed?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dooger54

I'm looking at buying a small portable generator for my pull behind RV.  I would like to keep the generator in my pickup bed so I don't have to lift it in and out.  Is running it this way considered safe?  I would leave the tailgate down of course.  But I might like to leave my vinyl bed cover on.  Anyone have experience with this?

Dooger54 said:
I'm looking at buying a small portable generator for my pull behind RV.  I would like to keep the generator in my pickup bed so I don't have to lift it in and out.  Is running it this way considered safe?  I would leave the tailgate down of course.  But I might like to leave my vinyl bed cover on.  Anyone have experience with this?

When you say "vinyl bed cover" are you talking about a tauno cover?  You can run a generator as long as the exhaust is facing the rear and away from any combustible material.

One recent post on the forum was a guy that built a custom across bed tool box for his generator. It was designed to operate with the lid closed. He provided access for exhaust and fuel filling. One of the biggest issues you need to be aware of is the possibility of theft. Generators are a favorite for theft because of their easy resale.  Whatever you can do secure your generator is a good thing.

SargeW said:
One recent post on the forum was a guy that built a custom across bed tool box for his generator. It was designed to operate with the lid closed. He provided access for exhaust and fuel filling. One of the biggest issues you need to be aware of is the possibility of theft. Generators are a favorite for theft because of their easy resale.  Whatever you can do secure your generator is a good thing.

One reason I want to leave it in my pickup bed is the new F150's have lockable side bars in the bed.  I would secure the genny to those with locked cables. 

I often keep and run my genny from the bed of the truck.  Primarily because it helps muffle the sound.
So long as the cover is rolled up and safely tucked away I don't see a problem.

Most of the pickups I've seen the bed, and the cab are totally separate So exhaust fumes in cab should not be an issue..

Now if you are still hooked to the 5er,  THEY MAY BE  So I'd avoid that (Because the 5er is above the bed)

If you run it with the cap on the bed so the genny can not get fresh air it won't run long

You need to deal with exhaust and fresh air intake.

There are reasons to do it, and other reasons not to.. Security (Bolted to the bed) is a good reason TO do it. Weight for a larger Genny BUT ONLY WHEN NOT HOOKED TO A 5er)

Make sure the fumes do not inflitrate the people places (5er or cab).

Dooger54 said:
One reason I want to leave it in my pickup bed is the new F150's have lockable side bars in the bed.  I would secure the genny to those with locked cables. 

Cables and chains are good, but many gens are stolen while chained up. Cutting a chain just isn't that hard anymore. At many beach campgrounds in CA, signs at the point of entry advise putting the gen inside at night. Just a word to the wise.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
skibumbob
Back
Top Bottom