Newbie at RVing, certain outlets not working.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BunnyOnTheRoad

Hi, my family and I are kinda living in our RV, so our electricity is important to us. We're staying hooked to a shoreline at a campsite for the next handful of months, and everything was running smoothly until just an hour ago. Starting from the front electrical outlets of the RV to the far back bedroom area, all outlets including that in the bathroom do not work. However, the issue is that is confusing is all electric in the kitchen works perfectly and are unaffected.

We are also running on the shoreline, and had previously done a wiring check so it couldn't be faulty wiring. Everything was perfectly fine and no noise was heard ie crackling noises. Sometime after, we checked the fuses and breakers and nothing appears tripped. The RV is rather vintage, mind you, and has had her problems on our way to our destination. She's a Holiday Rambler Monitor 1987. I also searched the entire RV for any GFCIs, and as far as I can tell she either doesn't have em, or is it possible an outlet cover could be hiding it? Any comments can be helpful!

We were new too and had an older TT.  We had a similar problem.  We ended up calling a Mobil RV repair and it cost $250 but he traced it to a burned wire in a small fuse box in a dark cubby hole that we couldn't find.

Welcome to the forum.
Do you have a 50 Amp cord or a 30 Amp cord?
You say you checked the circuit breakers. Did you actually click them off and then back on?  Sometimes they trip and it's hard to see that they've tripped.
We hear about this problem quite frequently and the majority of the times, it's a GFCI someplace in the rig. I'd look again real hard.

There can be as many as two or three GFCIs inside any given RV.  Check them!  If that does not resolve the issue, start taking outlets apart.  RV builders use what have to be the absolute worst, read that cheapest, push on connectors.  It is not uncommon for wires to come loose off the back of an outlet.

Hi, sorry for the late response. As far as I know, there are no GFCIS. Do all RVS have them? I looked on every single outlet and there is not a single one that has a visible reset/test, and, everything but in the kitchen once again, is out. The RV is 30amps, this morning we're going to take everything out of the outlets and try to flip every breaker and see if that achieves something. The wiring and connectors should be fine, so all of this is really confusing.

An update, we decided to slowly turn on each breaker one by one until the isolated 'dead' outlets came on or didn't. They did, and, everything has full electric now. My grandfather suggested we may have been running one too many appliances, as we had two laptops, a gaming pc, 2 heaters, microwave, AC, clocks, and other small things. According to my grandfather, another man in the RV park experienced a 100% outage of power last night, so its possible it was even the shoreline having a technical error  ;D Thank you all for the very friendly advice, though. It was a learning experience.

2 electric heaters will almost never run on 30 amp as most are 15 amp each.  Run one in the room where you are.

This was a learning issue for us to.

BunnyOnTheRoad said:
An update, we decided to slowly turn on each breaker one by one until the isolated 'dead' outlets came on or didn't. They did, and, everything has full electric now. My grandfather suggested we may have been running one too many appliances, as we had two laptops, a gaming pc, 2 heaters, microwave, AC, clocks, and other small things. According to my grandfather, another man in the RV park experienced a 100% outage of power last night, so its possible it was even the shoreline having a technical error  ;D Thank you all for the very friendly advice, though. It was a learning experience.

I'll bet what happened is that one of the breakers tripped and you didn't know it. When you shut them all off and then turned them back on one at a time, you reset it.  You have to shut them off then back on to reset a tripped breaker.

Back
Top Bottom