Protecting generator from weather while boondocking

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ozzie123

My partner and I are newby RV'ers and just converted a 30 ft. class A into a lovely tiny home on wheels. We bought a Honda EU2000i 2000 Watt generator to be used in tandem with solar for our power needs. My question is about using a generator during rain and perhaps some snow during the later winter months. We live on the British Columbia coast and Canadian winters out here are notoriously damp.

I'm curious to know how others protect their generators during use in rain/snow/wind so that there are no electrical issues or damage to the generator. We will be using it mainly to power our oil filled radiant heater and our batteries.

Thanks!

Welcome to the forum.
A Honda EU2000i is not very tall. Can you find a spot under the RV where it will fit?  Just make sure the exhaust is facing out away from the MH. If not, it would be pretty easy to build a enclosure similar to a A Frame house out of a couple pieces of plywood.

If it will not fit beneath the rig....maybe a large (enough) plastic dog house. Just make sure that it will "breath" properly, for cooling as well as air to run!  Lightweight and has bottom for wet soil or snow protection.

The Honda is reasonably weather proof.  A light drizzle does not hurt it.  In heavy rain I just put it under the picnic table.

I made a custom box for mine with upward opening opening (yes, paid attention to venting requirements of the 2000i).  Also tried to color match the surrounding that we normally camp in.  Must always remember that you are generating 120 volts AC and that can be very dangerous in a rain. 

Attachments

• IMG_0707s.JPG
    IMG_0707s.JPG
    183.4 KB · Views: 107
I have been using a custom aluminum box from KSH Marine for a Yamaha EF2000.    Generator stays inside the box all nice and secure, then when I want to run it, I open the lid, remove a couple of side panels on the box, start the gen, and close the lid and lock it.  Safe from weather and sticky fingers.  Been using it for 3 years and run the generator in all seasons, right inside the box.  One can be pretty creative on where they want to mount the box.  Rear bumper, trailer tongue, etc. 

https://kshmarine.com/custom-generator-boxes/

I simply pull my plastic folding table over top of my Honda eu3000 if its rainy. It is pretty weather proof and the table just keeps everything from getting a direct hit. Works fine and doubles as a TABLE :) when needed after the rain stops. Nothing extra to keep up with and always loaded in the camper.

Purchase a big tub plastic storage box from WalMart.  Place it on it's side and stick the EU2000 in it.  If you face it away from your rig you get the added sound attenuation as a bonus.

Been doing this for years myself with no adverse cooling affect to the generator.

Cheers,

DAn K.

Keep it chained to something.

The only theft I've seen in 40 years of camping covering 48 states was a generator. The guy had it sitting in front of his RV to be used for his wife's cpap machine in case of power failure.

I have a light weight A frame, dog house style that assembles with 3 bolts/wing nuts. Open on both ends and shields the generator and electrical connections. Sound absorbing material glued to the inside wood. The outside is painted to match the RV. When not in use it folds up to two flat pieces of plywood.  Although anyone with a battery grinder could cut through the chain, I do lock it to the frame of the RV.  8)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jeep3501
Back
Top Bottom