Newbie looking for the perfect Toy Hauler (unicorn)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mattyb

Hello, first post on RVforum.

Thanks in advance for checking my post. If I'm in the wrong spot, my apologies!

Family is looking for toy hauler with following criteria. Can someone point me to a manufacturer who may have what we need?
Half Ton Towable
20 - 25'
One Queen bed for Wifey and me
Two separate bunkish type beds for our growing boys (12years and 9 years)
Standard amenities such as fridge, shower, toilet, stove, etc.

One option I considered is installing the electric queen bed that raises and lowers in the garage area. Is this doable and advised?

We haul our motorcyles to races around northern California.

Thank you.
Matt

I don?t have a bumper pull, but plenty of folks here do. To be honest, to get good advice on these forums I have learned the super knowledgeable folks here (I?m not of of them), always want to know stats about your tow vehicle or they really can?t give good advice. ?Half ton towable? won?t mean anything to them. But you are definitely in the right spot to ask. Really nice people here. Good luck, and I used to race motorcycles too in my younger days. Soooo much fun!!

Welcome to the Forum!

Do you have the truck?  If so, look for a yellow placard on the driver door latch post which will give you the max weight of passengers and cargo shall not exceed XXXX lbs.  Please reports number, along with year, make and model.  I fear you may not like our answer.

Forget about a fifth wheel (FW) toy hauler.  Regardless of dealer claims, they do not exist.  Here is why:

http://www.rvforum.net/SMF_forum/index.php/topic,90933.0.html

In a nutshell, the truck can carry a maximum weight as shown on the placard.  Add up the weight of all passengers, pets, car seats, and other tools and cargo to be carried in the truck. Add 80# for a WD hitch.  What is left is the max hitch weight the truck can handle.  IGNORE  PUBLISHED HITCH WEIGHT!!  Use 10% - 12% of the GVWR of the camper.
For a FW, the hitch will weigh closer to 200# and the pin wt is 20% of the  TH  GVWR.

Thanks everyone.

We are towing with a 2017 Ford Expedition. Plan on using WD hitch.

Thank you...

Have you looked at any of the Forest River toy haulers? They have some models that might fit your needs. I?m sure there are others as well, but it?s a starting point.

Not going to happen sorry toy haulers are nose heavy to start and weight more because of the weight capacity you need to be looking at 3/4 tons as a minumim my friends 2015 Tundra was a boat weight pulling his 23 ft attitude with nothing in it and only 2 adults - no bikes no kids no moto gear

Depending on the model of expedition you may have a cargo capacity of 900 lbs minus kids you wife etc, please check the yellow door decal drivers side for your vehicles cargo capacity as they vary by individual units

Found the Keystone 24ours. Going to investigate whether our Expedition can safely haul it. Planning on towing dry which will help with the weight issues.

My 4x4 with Heavy Towing Package Expedition has 3.31 rear end. According to the chart at the link below, it can tow 9300lbs Loaded Trailer Weight.
If the Keystone 24ours comes it at 7600lbs loaded, I should be OK, correct?

https://www.ford.com/resources/ford/general/pdf/towingguides/17RV&TT_Ford_Expedition_Sep7.pdf

Thank you for everyone's input.

If the 24ours does make sense, and we can tow it safely, does anyone have advice on shipping one from midwest to Northern CA?

Thanks Again,
Matt

sorry you are jumping the gun a bit you need to find the YELLOW DECAL DRIVERS SIDE DOOR JAM it will look like the attachment that tell you your payload
no trailer is every pulled empty and the number they give you is for a base model ZERO options so no electric beds no tvs gennies etc etc etc
good luck

when using the Ford Guide that is for a base model no passengers no options no hitch sway bars nothing so if you have an xlt it will be less than an xl etc etc AND if you were to pull that much weight you wouldnt have a very fun ride

Attachments

• IMG_20160306_092354.jpg
    IMG_20160306_092354.jpg
    225.5 KB · Views: 8
LISTEN TO STEVE!!

That chart number is for a bare, naked Expedition, no options except max tow, no cargo, only 2 passengers at 150# each and a full fuel tank.  You can easily have 500 pounds of options, which must be deducted from this number.  Also deduct passenger weight and cargo weight in the truck.  That number shrinks quickly.

You are better off starting with the YELLOW LABEL number.  From that, subtract ALL  passenger weight (no allowance in Payload), all cargo weight in the truck, 80# for WD hitch, and 10% of the GVWR.  You may pull it dry, but I doubt you pull it empty.  All the clothes, bedding, pots and pans, lawn chairs, and toys in the camper will push the weight way up.  An empty 50 gal fresh water tank only saves 400 lbs, and only 40 lbs of tongue wt.

That Expedition is a great vehicle, but is was NOT designed to pull a heavy trailer!

Do not believe any salesman about towing capabilities.  They are much more interested in making a sale than your safety.  And they are usually very uneducated about towing capacities.

Hello MattyB,

Welcome to the forum. I suggest you listen to the folks telling you to be careful with the weight, I think you really need to consider switching to a more capable tow vehicle.

That said, I know a trailer which would fit your specifications: it's the Adrenaline Blast 170MH.

https://www.arrowheadcampers.com/img/base/coachmen/Adrenaline%20Blast%20TT/BROCHURE_AdrenalineBlast_2008.pdf
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hCD98JMGIcI

I don't think it's manufactured anymore, but every now and then a used one shows up for sale in the usual places (like a few months ago at PPL).

Hope that helps.

Cheers,
--
  Vall.

grashley wrote:
.....and 10% of the GVWR

That would be 10% of the trailer's GVWR (not the truck's). This is the number to use as it builds in a safety factor for calculating the weight of the loaded trailer.

Thank you everyone for your replies. Of course the sales guys say we can tow it no problem...

I have a Prime Time Fury 2910 It tows good, but I have a one ton dully left over from our truck camper days. We have only two people so it is set up perfect for us with two lazy boy type chairs. But you can get it with a dinette setup. Check it out.

There may be a unit out there that you could legally pull with 1/2 ton and meet your specs.  But they would meet weight specifications by building with cheaper materials.  I wouldn?t do it. Need a bigger truck and 28? + bumper pull or 5ver. 

Back
Top Bottom