Age when buying an RV for the 1st time

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Bought and drove my first motorhome at the age of 69.  Been on the road full-time now for over five years and 106,000 miles and love it.  And I know ladies older than me who still drive motorhomes or pull trailers, so you are really not too old as long as you are in reasonably good health.  Check out the earlier posting from someone worried about starting too late.

I'm 47, wife 37, boy 3.5 and soon to be girl add on girl in a few months. We bought ours last year and have been out about 5 times. I will be fully retired in 3 years. From everything I have learned over the last year I'm glad I bought it now. Our intent is to travel with the kids a lot over their summer vacations from school. It's still a learning process, heck I back it up yesterday and forgot to unplug it from the house. No damage, just pulled the cord from the outlet. But it reminded me that I still have to get in the habit of checking things before I roll it out. I have warning straps for my steering wheel that I bought and only seem to use when camping. They were a must have after I broke my 2nd tv antenna. Things I never thought about when before buying. I wanted a class A. Never thought about a tow car. But it's something I'm seriously thinking about now as we are often stuck at the camp site and never get to see the sights outside of it. Towing a 5th wheel in some states do not allow for people inside. Was a major concern for us as the wife wanted the "experience" right out of the driveway. The next one I buy will have certain things in regards to appliances that I want. IE: I want an electric water heater. Our current one only runs on propane and heats up during the drive. But I like the option of not having to use propane in the winter months. If I'm at a campground, I'm already paying for electric and would prefer not to use my propane for something I'm already paying for. You also mentioned purchasing a truck to pull the 5th wheel. You might need a heafty one. They can be costly. Might be a better option to get a class A and tow a smaller car/suv. I have seen some pretty scary accident videos with 5th wheels and people not knowing how to tow correctly. Since you don't know much about trucks I figure you probably don't know much about towing a 5th wheel either. That's a whole other animal. I'm not 100% sure but I think towing a small car behind a class A would be easier then towing a 5th wheel. Again not sure on that.

Layout is a big deal. If you're going to be spending a lot of time in the RV layout will come into play big time. I have been seeing a lot of RV's now with TV's in the kitchen area and can't help but look at the seating. Much of what I have seen looks like the viewing would not be that great. Also large slide outs. They look great when they are open. But I have seen some that have 2 couches facing each other. When you close the slide outs there is very little room to walk between them (class A models). Another thing my wife and I don't like is the dinette seating. We prefer the booth style. It's a personal preference. We just don't like the individual chairs but we can see the benefits of being able to move the chair to adjust your seating to the table. Look long and hard at the layout, envision people in the RV and how they might be moving around, where they might be spending most of their time and how the layout is going to be affected. Sorry for the long post. Hope you can get some advice from it.

Interesting responses. We bought our first motorhome in our late 30's. We'd towed a boat to local waterways with a Ford Bronco 3 or 4 weekends a month, and slept aboard the cuddy cabin. After several years of this, we decided we should buy a van conversion so we could sleep in a campground. We kept looking at nicer and nicer vans, then realized we could buy a motorhome for what some of the high-end vans cost. That started a new perspective on "camping" and boating.

[quote author=SeilerBird]Been driving RVs ever since.[/quote]

Do you still 'drive' your RV? Seems like you've been in a 'fixed' location for several years, and only 'moved' across the street  ???

I got my first RV, a VW Westfalia camper when I was 20, then got my first self-contained RV when I was 28.  It was a green and white 1970 Xplorer Class  B on a Ford Econoline van.  First class luxury with a raised roof for stand up headroom, a permanent queen size bed across the back and a real toilet and shower.  Used it for several years until it's rust cancer became unmanageable (it was a Florida camper that spent too much time on the beach before it came to California).

On one trip through the southwest deserts in the Xplorer, I stopped in a rest area and started fixing dinner.  Several people came up and asked if I was OK, which I was.  The mystery was solved when I went into the men's room and saw a sign on the mirror, NEED HELP - OUT OF MONEY, OUT OF GAS.  GREEN AND WHITE FORD VAN. 

I passed the guy on the other side of the parking lot as I drove out.  His van looked better than mine.

I will be 55 when I buy my first R/V and 56 when I retire (In only 15 months).

I started doing my research this past January.  Research is the cheapest part.  Started out thinking a 30" C pulling a utility trailer.  Now, I think a TT toy hauler will be the best fit.

I might change again.  Change before I spend money is easier than afterwards.

My first RV was a Conversion Van in my early 20,s after coming back home from VN.  I then bought a TT and painted it to match.  Back then Vans with shag carpeting, captains chairs, padded vinyl walls, and a folding bed were the thing to have.  It had a really nice custom paint job with murals. 

I have always had some kind of RV ever since then for the last 40+ years.

I can understand your feeling of sticker shock when looking at new trucks. Now add the cost of the trailer. For that kind of money you can be driving a diesel pusher. Not new but a much more comftorble ride. Look at ppl.com and do some shopping.
I had a 1960 VW buss with a bead in the back.  8)
Bill

Back
Top Bottom