wondering if I can offer a service

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Katbirdmine

Hello!  My name is Katharina.  8)
I have a class A CDL license and have experience driving a semi.  I also have my own RV.  I have a long history of driving safely. I love driving and I have also been a long -time caregiver to others.  I have done things like care for a Quadriplegic and familiar with oxygen equipment and walking assistance, dispersing medication including needles, to simply being a companion. I enjoyed that too!

I got to wondering if I couldn't somehow combine my experience by offering a service to folks who still would love to RV but no longer are able to- or wish to drive. 

I'm not even sure if this would be acceptable to post to this community.  Please tell me if that is so.

Otherwise, if you know of someone who could use a service like this have them contact me.  I would have to connect and negotiate compensation that would be acceptable to everyone. 

Do you think this a service that might be needed? 

I would love to take someone on a dream holiday or even drive them to a destination - Like Snowbirds' Destinations and leave them for however long they wished, then return them again to their summer home when they were ready. 

Truely great idea. I wondered myself if and when I could not drive our RV, would that kind of service be available. Adveryise in other forums. I think it will be a need in the near future, us baby boomers are not getting any younger  Good Luck.

There are a number of RV "porter" services out there so clearly that is a service..

Me. I still drive myself.. But I'd not object to a traveling companion if she met my needs.

Well I got rather whimsical and created a website to give out more on my ideas- it will likely need to be revised but look at it here and tell me your thoughts (link in profile).

John From Detroit said:
There are a number of RV "porter" services out there so clearly that is a service..

Me. I still drive myself.. But I'd not object to a traveling companion if she met my needs.

8) :eek: :-* what sort of "needs"  are we talking about here?  LOL

Seems like a good idea.  The Escapees RV group offers what they call "Care Center" in Livingston Texas. Look at their website for an explanation of how the Care Center works as there could possibly be people who could utilize your services. It's a great group to join and you may be able to connect with people or IF allowed link to your forum profile. They also have a commercial members area. The people are very friendly at every park we have been to.

https://www.escapees.com/support/commercial-members/complete-list

I think you need to be more specific on the type "RV" you have driven,,,the slang term RV can be anything from a motorcycle to a boat.>>>Dan

Have you considered your personal liability and the insurance you'll need in case something goes wrong?  This sounds like it's crossing over from "driving a friend's RV" into commercial territory.

I doubt you can be covered under the RV owner's noncommercial insurance policy, you'll probably need to take out a commercial liability policy.

Then there's the medical liability if you're acting as a caregiver for your clients.

Humm all good points here. thank you!  Sorry Tom- I didn't mean to cross any boundaries by posting links- thanks for fixing that up

I have a class A CDL license ( I drive 18 wheelers!) and also my passenger bus endorsement.  I will not drive a standard, though, and prefer to have cruise control. I wasn't so much considering a commercial venture - more of an individualized private service that would serve my needs to travel and be with other people- as well as the needs of others since I have no constraints on my time nor any set destination. 

extra insurance might be a good idea in any case....A Huge trust would have to be established, that's for sure.  I am well aware that people can change in a heartbeat and so both sides would have to be covered.

What a great welcoming community and I am so glad I found it.

This sounds like a good service, but you really should look into what's required from a DOT standpoint.  When you're driving the motorhome you'll be transporting goods (the motorhome and contents) and passengers for compensation so you'll come under their jurisdiction

You may be able to operate under the radar, but that's a heck of a way to run a business.

There are exemptions for charity work. But they won't apply to you unless you qualify and incorporate as a charity, or operate under the auspices of an already established non-profit organization.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
skibumbob
Back
Top Bottom