Magnetek 6332 Won't Charge Battery

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dmguerena

I have a model 6332 a power converter that went bad what is the replacement or upgrade that I need to install without alot of headaches please help

Dmguerena said:
I have a model 6332 a power converter that went bad what is the replacement or upgrade that I need to install without alot of headaches please help

Welcome to the forum.
How old is your convertor and what makes you say it's bad?

Dmguerena said:
It's 17 years old and it's not charging batteries

Have you checked the output of the convertor? There may be a couple of fuses in the convertor which protects it from damage from hooking up the battery cables incorrectly. Also, do you have 110 Volt AC going into it?

Yes 110 plugged in so theses fuses your talking about would they be in the lower unit or in the board

Ok, The Progressive Dynamics 4600 line (you want the smallest in the line) is designed to replace the ELECTRONICS in Most competitor's Converter/Distribution panels.

They also make integrated units that replace the ENTIRE assembly.. Up to you if you want to do that, Not that much more expensive.

www.bestconverter.com

Scroll down to "Additional info" on the left frame to see how it's done.

OH, good store to shop too.

Dmguerena said:
Yes 110 plugged in so theses fuses your talking about would they be in the lower unit or in the board

So you check the voltage at the outlet, right?  The fuses typically are located on the outside of the convertor case.

Welcome to The RV Forum!

You might be able to troubleshoot and repair the converter in the Magnetek 6332, but converters have come a long way since yours was built and the new ones do a much better job of tending to your battery.

It doesn't have the reverse polarity protection fuses, they came later with the electronic fully regulated converters.

I'm with John - your best bet would be to replace the converter part of the power panel with a new upgraded unit as described in the link above.  Or go directly to Magnetek/Parallex 6300/7300/8300 Upgrade Information

Scroll down to the bottom of the page to see your options.  The basic 35 amp unit will replace what you have, but you'll get faster battery charging with a 45 amp unit and the optional remote pendant.

There's no reason to replace the whole power panel if yours is in good shape, though the cost is not much higher, there's a lot more work involved since you'd have to remove all of the AC wires and transfer them over to the circuit breakers on the new panel.

If you are ever planning on adding to your battery bank you might want to upgrade to the PD4655 now, don't cost that much more. It will be a better choise for charging a pair of 6 volt batteries in series.

They actually both contain the same innards, the difference is in the packaging.  The 4600 series stands alone while the 8900 is designed to be a drop in replacement for the existing converter section of your power center.

One thing to consider is the distance between the power center and the batteries.  Often the power center is located close to the AC power inlet and there's a fairly long wire run up to the batteries.  Long wires (more than a few feet) choke off the bulk charging current.  If you're going to boondock and use a generator to recharge the batteries, consider getting the stand-alone model and put it close to the batteries for maximum bulk charging current which will shorten the time you need to run the generator.

Don't mount the converter in the same compartment due to the battery gasses, but in an adjacent area.  Just plug the converter into an AC socket and wire it directly to the batteries    The existing wires will carry the power back to the DC fuse board in the power center, just like they do when you're boondocking.

I'm gonna replace converter and board with an upgrade so I want one that will slide right in where the other one is

Lou Schneider said:
They actually both contain the same innards, the difference is in the packaging.  The 4600 series stands alone while the 8900 is designed to be a drop in replacement for the existing converter section of your power center.

One thing to consider is the distance between the power center and the batteries.  Often the power center is located close to the AC power inlet and there's a fairly long wire run up to the batteries.  Long wires (more than a few feet) choke off the bulk charging current.  If you're going to boondock and use a generator to recharge the batteries, consider getting the stand-alone model and put it close to the batteries for maximum bulk charging current which will shorten the time you need to run the generator.

Don't mount the converter in the same compartment due to the battery gasses, but in an adjacent area.  Just plug the converter into an AC socket and wire it directly to the batteries    The existing wires will carry the power back to the DC fuse board in the power center, just like they do when you're boondocking.
Lou, the PD 4645V, and the PD4655V are drop in modules, they are not stand alone.

Back
Top Bottom