Convert bunks to office

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bethlin

I'm a newbie, just thinking through the idea of getting a fifthwheel or trailer as an idea. If I do get one, it would just be me and the dog, looking to full time for a year or so. I know that picking the ideal trailer is all about floor plan, floor plan, floor plan.

One of my ideas is to do a remodel to remove bunk beds and make that space into a small office. I work remoteand having a separate place for work stuff helps me did a better job of "unplugging" when I'm on the couch or at the dining table.

Does anyone have any good examples of doing something like that? Or any horror stories to convince me not to even attempt it?

B

SeilerBird said:
I think most fivers don't have bunks. I would shop for one you don't have to rebuild, it would be easier.

Mine does and they are full-size bunks so ample space for a small desk area. I have an outdoor kitchen below them which would probably prevent using the space as an office, though (you would have a very low ceiling!) unless you tore out the kitchen, too. Others with bunks but no kitchen probably have storage space or possibly the water heater below them, though, which would also make remodeling more involved than simply tearing out the bunks. If you find the right floor plan, though, it's certainly doable.

Look for a good used toy hauler. Use the back for your office.
https://www.rvtrader.com/listing/2016-Pacific-Coachworks-OTHER-5000416184

https://nh.craigslist.org/snw/d/2002-tail-gator-keystone-toy/6334393764.html

Compared to a "normal" RV, one with a garage or bunk house takes space from the living / kitchen area.  Starting with a bunk house probably means the heat  and A/C is already covering that area.  With the proper starting bunk house, you should be fine.  Starting with a toy hauler, you may or may not have heat and A/C ducted in.  Verify before purchase.  You will have little tear out starting with a TH.  Some have a ramp  which converts easily to a patio, a definite plus.  Many have a generator, which is great if you plan to boon dock.

This is a good idea to accomplish the separate office.  Note also other posts on internet access while camping.

If planning on tearing out the bunks, make sure of what's under them before you buy. Water heater, furnace, electrical panel, electrical cord storage etc can be using that space.

I just bought the Jayco 377RLBH. Has a built in office already :)

But we also have 4 kids and you may not need that much space

We have a Montana 342PHT with a slide that had 3 bunks and a fold  out love seat. We pulled it all out and use it for storage for light items--clothes and bedding. We also put a dorm-style refrigerator for use when we are staying in the same place for a while. We volunteer and might not move for 3-4 months.

There are plenty of videos on Youtube of people that have converted bunks into all sorts of useful things.

My dad fulltimes in a bunkhouse TT. We removed all but one of the beds to give him more storage space and an extra place to hang clothes.

Look at the mid bunk 5ers. I have seen some that had a small desk in the bunk room.

Thank you all so much for the advice!! I'm still a ways away from being able to pull the trigger, but you have me a great starting point to window shop and figure out my budget.

Back
Top Bottom